Sambava

Hyperion can't seems to make up his mind about me. Sometimes he tries to run out of my reachand other times he runs to my hand. He's now fully free range because he wouldn't go back in his cage even when I pushed him off my hand (he'd run right back up my arm!)

I love my Sambava!

he came to us at about 9 months of age (gotta love hold backs!) and from day one had no problem hitching a ride on my shoulder and he always remains calm, yet loves to climb to the top of my head where he sits and watches tv or computer... its adorable.

He also eats from the hand daily.

Sambavas are generally regarded as the "Husky" panther, as they are a bit larger than most other panthers. My Sambavas legs/torso/head/tail are all noticeably bigger and thicker than my Ambanja's, who is only trailing in age by 2 months. Sambavas are also known to carry weight (aka get fat ;) ) when compared to other panthers, My Smabava is a total husky boy, while my Ambanja is lean like a whistle... and they both eat the same amount, on the same days.

S.F

Over 6 years ago I helped my daughter care for Jillian, Jill for short. She was the sweetest Sambava female. She lived in a tree and went on all of our family vacations with us. She lived to be over 4 and I loved her so much. I still have her picture hanging on my frig and there will always be a special place in my heart for Sambava females.

I have a 8 1/2 month old sambava. I have had him for 4 months now. He is pretty sweet but has his moments! Likes to come out of his cage and sit on the door and then hitch a ride on someone to get out to my patio. Once he is out you can handle him however you want. When he is in his cage he is a little more apprehensive but overall I can go into the cage and mess around with the dripper, the branches, etc and he is cool. He will hand feed from you too. The other night I was on my computer (his cage is right next to it contrary to not supposedly being in a high traffic area) and I had the door open . Next thing I know he is peeking around the side and I am typing and he is sitting on my pull out tray next to my keyboard staring at me! He is not afraid at all but i have handled him from day one. Each and everyday and i think that has made the difference. i know when to back off though when he does not want to be held or bothered.

It's not so fun when he refuses to go back to his free range. It makes everything I have to do waaaaay harder, but it's nicer than dealing with an agressive chameleon.

I am likeing the sound of these guys. Thought I might like to try a panther local and they caught my eye.

Thanks all, for sharing.:)

Back
Top Bottom