Safe wood for chameleons

Hi im writing to ask what wood would be safe for chameleons I have a 3-4 Month old flap neck chameleon I have been looking for wood that is safe and not toxic can someone please tell me if these woods. Are ok ore not
Willow wood
Eculyptus bone dry no leaves ore sap
Mapane wood

So you would avoid anything with odor or sap producing. Pine, cedar, eculyptus would be hard passes. No bamboo either.

Willow should be fine and I am not sure about the 3rd one you listed.
Birch is a good wood. Your looking for a hard wood that can hold up to the moisture.

So you would avoid anything with odor or sap producing. Pine, cedar, eculyptus would be hard passes. No bamboo either.

Willow should be fine and I am not sure about the 3rd one you listed.
Birch is a good wood. Your looking for a hard wood that can hold up to the moisture.
But what if it's dry

Whatever you do, don’t go to Petsmart and buy a $25.00 stick. I couldn’t believe my eyes.

Attachments

• B95B46FA-B15B-4B39-A133-CB941AB34AA0.jpeg
    B95B46FA-B15B-4B39-A133-CB941AB34AA0.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 46
I have plenty of birch trees near my house. Those branches are so great. Easy to peel the bark off and dry.

I’m currently using oak and sycamore. I give a little scrub with Dawn dish soap and a small plastic bristle brush, mainly to get bird poop and dirt off. Rinse very well and let dry in the sun. I leave the bark and even whatever lichen that doesn’t come off with my washing - gives a nice natural look.

I’m currently using oak and sycamore. I give a little scrub with Dawn dish soap and a small plastic bristle brush, mainly to get bird poop and dirt off. Rinse very well and let dry in the sun. I leave the bark and even whatever lichen that doesn’t come off with my washing - gives a nice natural look.
Thanks you for the advise do you know if pine board is toxic to chameleons I have built a pine tank and I want to ceal it with rubber ceal would this work ?

Why do you peel the bark off?
The birch branches that fall in my neighborhood usually come down after a windy day or a storm. I probably look crazy on my walks to find them. The bark is usually peeling back anyway so I just get rid of it. Seems cleaner to me so water doesn’t get under that peeling bark and I think it looks nice.

Thanks you for the advise do you know if pine board is toxic to chameleons I have built a pine tank and I want to ceal it with rubber ceal would this work ?
I don’t know about the pine board or the best way to seal it. However, I have used Flex Seal and another liquid rubber in my enclosures and am now wondering if it is responsible for some health issues so I would caution against using it.

I don’t know about the pine board or the best way to seal it. However, I have used Flex Seal and another liquid rubber in my enclosures and am now wondering if it is responsible for some health issues so I would caution against using it.
Did you use a non toxic rubber ceal because that could have been the problem

Did you use a non toxic rubber ceal because that could have been the problem
Before using I looked up the safety and everything I found said they were safe for animals and aquariums and non toxic. I have no evidence that the products are responsible for causing any health issues, but I also have no evidence that they are not. I wonder if the products are responsible as when I recently found the MSDS some of the ingredients are known carcinogens and there is a warning for prolonged exposure. It does not specify if that is for cured or uncured product. Because of this and that I recently lost a chameleon due to a presumed neuro-endocrine tumor, I personally feel the need to caution others against using.

Before using I looked up the safety and everything I found said they were safe for animals and aquariums and non toxic. I have no evidence that the products are responsible for causing any health issues, but I also have no evidence that they are not. I wonder if the products are responsible as when I recently found the MSDS some of the ingredients are known carcinogens and there is a warning for prolonged exposure. It does not specify if that is for cured or uncured product. Because of this and that I recently lost a chameleon due to a presumed neuro-endocrine tumor, I personally feel the need to caution others against using.
Well if you don't give it time to cure it will

It sat outside airing out for many days until the odor was gone and then sat around for at least a few weeks before I finally got everything put together.
If you feel it’s safe to use, that’s your decision. Many here do use it with no issues and as I said, I have no evidence either way. I just personally feel the need to inform of my own suspicion. Something is going on with my chameleons and I have to look at the liquid rubber as a potential cause. I’ll be asking my vet about it tomorrow when I take 2 of my chams to get checked.

It sat outside airing out for many days until the odor was gone and then sat around for at least a few weeks before I finally got everything put together.
If you feel it’s safe to use, that’s your decision. Many here do use it with no issues and as I said, I have no evidence either way. I just personally feel the need to inform of my own suspicion. Something is going on with my chameleons and I have to look at the liquid rubber as a potential cause. I’ll be asking my vet about it tomorrow when I take 2 of my chams to get checked.
Let me know please thanks and for the advise

So anything that you use to build a cage from if it is wood you want to seal. Water based poly urethane that you then let gas off away from animals in your home is best. This can take 2-3 weeks depending on the type for the fumes to gas off. There are a few types like flex seal that can be used as well. But you have to seal any wood or you will get water damage. Also Pine will emit VOC's which are toxic for a chameleon to breathe in. This is the other reason we seal it well.

But all branches should be those that will not cause issues even if really dried out a pine branch will emit VOC's. Eucalyptus still emits odor as well. Chameleons lungs are very sensitive so we have to be cautious.

When building your cage make sure your using something like aluminum window screen. Not the fiber glass kind.

Back
Top Bottom