Safe plants?

Tinydino

Avid Member
I have these 2 plants.
(Left) fishbone cactus (right) Peperomia obtipan.
Both are listed as non toxic "pet safe"
I'm looking for some filler plants for my female veileds new enclosure.
She already has a Hibiscus, umbrella plant, pothos and a money tree.
I can't find any info on the fishbone cactus aside from it being non toxic and its care requirements.
Would love some feedback

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-125851_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-125851_Gallery.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 99
I have these 2 plants.
I'm looking for some filler plants for my female veileds new enclosure.
She already has a Hibiscus, umbrella plant, pothos and a money tree.
I can't find any info on the fishbone cactus aside from it being non toxic and its care requirements.
Would love some feedback
Personally with a Veiled I would stick with plants that are tried and true with them since they do eat their plants.

https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Due to the higher (nighttime) humidity requirements of the chameleon, you may have some trouble keeping the succulents happy.

In choosing plants, in addition to "chameleon safe", we have to be aware of their humidity, rainfall, & lighting requirements. ;)

Due to the higher (nighttime) humidity requirements of the chameleon, you may have some trouble keeping the succulents happy.

In choosing plants, in addition to "chameleon safe", we have to be aware of their humidity, rainfall, & lighting requirements. ;)
The fishbone cactus loves humidity and bright indirect light. Its not a finicky plant. I know many have problems with hibiscus. Mine is a few years old and thriving. When I started into Cham keeping its was like combining 2 favourite hobbies

Personally with a Veiled I would stick with plants that are tried and true with them since they do eat their plants.

https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
I've considered that as well. Peperomia is on the safe list. I was hoping one for the bottom and one to hang in the back corner
The only plant my girl has been interested in is her hibiscus. But not enough to do any real damage.
I'm just not sure how much of a risk to take with a "non toxic" plant

I've considered that as well. Peperomia is on the safe list. I was hoping one for the bottom and one to hang in the back corner
The only plant my girl has been interested in is her hibiscus. But not enough to do any real damage.
I'm just not sure how much of a risk to take with a "non toxic" plant
Yeah this is where it gets tricky with Veileds. Even the "safe" plants have components that are considered toxic however they have been used repeatedly with Veileds without issue.
@ashdavisa may have a better idea of the toxicity of the two plants you mention in your original post. :)

Yeah this is where it gets tricky with Veileds. Even the "safe" plants have components that are considered toxic however they have been used repeatedly with Veileds without issue.
@ashdavisa may have a better idea of the toxicity of the two plants you mention in your original post. :)
Thank you.

I have these 2 plants.
Would love some feedback

Totally spaced coming back to this after seeing the notification, oops ?

Selenicereus anthonyanus and Disocactus anguliger both go by the common name "fishbone cactus", but it doesn't appear that either are toxic (true cactus in general aren't- I imagine physical defenses undercut the advantage of developing toxins/irritants, evolutionarily speaking. Euphorbias, on the other hand, do have irritants- both fishbone species are in the Cactaceae family, fortunately). The can grow spines though, so watch out for that!
Peperomias are non-toxic and widely recommended/used in humid, tropical vivariums. They don't grow super fast in drier environments though.

Totally spaced coming back to this after seeing the notification, oops ?

Selenicereus anthonyanus and Disocactus anguliger both go by the common name "fishbone cactus", but it doesn't appear that either are toxic (true cactus in general aren't- I imagine physical defenses undercut the advantage of developing toxins/irritants, evolutionarily speaking. Euphorbias, on the other hand, do have irritants- both fishbone species are in the Cactaceae family, fortunately). The can grow spines though, so watch out for that!
Peperomias are non-toxic and widely recommended/used in humid, tropical vivariums. They don't grow super fast in drier environments though.

Thank you so much.
The winters here are already pretty dry(and dark)
(Ontario, Canada)
I have another similar plant to the fishbone. It does grow soft " hair" like spines. I bought it simply as "orchid cactus"
Its put aside for that reason.
So aside from the plants potentially not being happy in the enclosure they won't hurt my girl?

Thank you so much.
The winters here are already pretty dry(and dark)
(Ontario, Canada)
I have another similar plant to the fishbone. It does grow soft " hair" like spines. I bought it simply as "orchid cactus"
Its put aside for that reason.
So aside from the plants potentially not being happy in the enclosure they won't hurt my girl?
I’m in London, Ontario, so if you ever need some advice from a keeper in your area, please feel free to pm me anytime!

From what I can tell, they shouldn't :)
There's always gonna be a chance that a plant is harmful in a way that hasn't been documented, but until we get some good in-depth research on the effects of every plant on veiled chameleons, we can never be 100% sure. But we can be pretty close based on what we do know!

Back
Top Bottom