Safe indoor live plants

Xeyana S

Hi,
Over the summer I had my chameleons enclosure on the back porch, because of the perfect weather. Now it's starting to cool down here and I had to bring her inside. I want to have some live plants in her enclosure, but I can ever keep them alive! :(

Can you list some live plants that are easy to keep alive, can live indoors under her heat and uvb bulb, and are safe for chameleons?

I really like the Pothos it seems to hold the water for a long time and also does quite well inside. The Ficus and Schefflera also do great indoors. The Hibiscus is a favorite of the veileds but needs allot of light so your need to use hibiscus outside or have a couple to rotate from inside to outside for sun. Your plants will need to be washed and rinsed well and replanted before you use them. Use organic soil and buy large river rocks to cover the soil so your cham will not be able to eat the soil. Make sure the rocks are very large so the cham cannot eat the rocks.

I agree with Jann. Ficus, pothos, and schefflera (also known as dwarf umbrella tree) are all plants that thrive well indoors and can tolerate the constant light and humidity. Hibiscus are awesome too, but need to be rotated fairly frequently. I must be one of the lucky few living in Pennsylvania because my loving wife grows hibiscus and has graciously allowed me to rotate her personal stock in and out of our chameleon set-up. She even laughs when our small male veiled, Avi, takes bites out of leaves and blossoms. Guess you can't be mad at a cham eating salad.

Thank you. I'll look around for a ficus, pothos, and umbrella plant. This spring I will get her a hibiscus!

Schefflera arboricola's are nice big plants.

You can easily keep alive indoors but you really need a plant bulb (same with most plants you wanna keep in indoor enclosure).

Lightyourreptiles has a nice combo fixture that has the uvb bulb as well as plant bulb.

I really like the scheffleras but I'd suggest getting two. My little girl loves to eat the young shoots. With two, you can switch between them when one plant gets beaten up. :)

Back
Top Bottom