Safe Bugs to Feed

Matman03

Does anyone have experience with this bug? Wondering if it is safe to feed to my Veiled. She likes to have some random bugs from the woods and these things are everywhere.

Attachments

• HouseCentipede.jpg
    HouseCentipede.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 157
I read that before i posted it here but I was just thinking that Chameleons can eat Preying mantis and they are a pretty strong bug also beetles with mandibles. What do you think?

This is the part that concerns me as beetles don't have venom.

"They administer venom through modified legs. These are not part of their mandibles, so strictly speaking they sting rather than bite. They are mostly nocturnal hunters"

I don't know if they could penetrate chameleons skin but in the mouth were it is soft could be a problem.
With all the other options out there I would not take a chance.

Good advice, do you know where I could find a full list of wild bugs I can feed her? she like grasshoppers and dragonflies but I would like to get some cooler bugs. Been looking for some matis and stick bugs but they are hard to find.

Good advice, do you know where I could find a full list of wild bugs I can feed her? she like grasshoppers and dragonflies but I would like to get some cooler bugs. Been looking for some matis and stick bugs but they are hard to find.

If you go to your local nursery, they will sell you oothecas which are the egg cases of mantis. They are easy to hatch, just make sure you're ready for 300+ tiny little mantis that are hungry! Many keepers just hang the case in the cham's cage and let the little ones hatch and be eaten. If you want to raise them, you'll need to provide individual housing (as they are cannibalistic, ) fruitflies for food, and at least weekly misting. It is quite time consuming to raise hundreds of mantis to substantial size. As they get bigger, they are easier to feed as a cricket once a week should be plenty.

Stick bugs are difficult to find, but if you know the right people...they can find you.

Back
Top Bottom