Russian tortoise?

Check with your nearby Turtle and Tortoise rescues. They often have many for adoption. CA has desert tortoises for adoption and they are waiving fees. Put add in local paper since many people are looking to get rid of animals but don't always know how..
Good luck!
Here is Rascal chillin!

Attachments

• PXL_20210728_154734130.jpg
    PXL_20210728_154734130.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 99
My friend would probably be one of the best people to talk to about these guys. We have a trio of breeding russians and Hermann's, as well as one female Greek. The Herman's already laid what we're assuming were infertile eggs this year (still in incubator. . Just in case) and I don't expect any more eggs to be laid by any of them very soon but if you talk to Kalib, he'd likely be more than happy to chat with you about any of them, or other species, you can find him at Divine Tortoise Sanctuary.
https://m.facebook.com/DivineTortoiseSanctuary/
View attachment 306812
0606210070.jpg
^ the Russians, good size for apartment keeping I suppose, though I feel they're still too large for a standard-sized table.
I can try to answer some questions but my friends the real expert when it comes to tortoises

Attachments

• 0606210072.jpg
    0606210072.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 0606210077.jpg
    0606210077.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 96
I guess you would really have to decide on the species, since they can be from a few lbs to 200 lbs plus.

That is a big difference.

Plus the bigger ones will out live us (even if your one year old now), so have a back-up plan... :)

Have you considered a Desert Tortoise?​

Agree but they're rare and protected species so you won't find in a pet store or online. I had one growing up in L.A. suburb that my uncle gave me and next to the dog, the best pet ever. Seriously, this guy had more personality than the family cat! The tortiose was strictly outside, contained in my back yard and as a kid, I was clueless about suppliments so he grazed our lawn and you could coax he to go anywhere with lettuce. He would disappear from Oct to March as he would burrow and brumate for the winter. I dream of some day having one in my backyard again. 🥰

Update: There are still free adoptions going on in San Diego for CA. Deserts.
Texas adoption rescues (a few of them) have Russian Torts up for adoption. Thank you internet. :)
The Sulcatas in CA have been adopted. Information changes daily... Happy hunting!
1st time wife is feeling the need to feed.. YES!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_164109217.jpg
    PXL_20210720_164109217.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 105
Agree but they're rare and protected species so you won't find in a pet store or online.

I had one growing up in L.A. suburb that my uncle gave me and next to the dog, the best pet ever. Seriously, this guy had more personality than the family cat! The tortiose was strictly outside, contained in my back yard and as a kid, I was clueless about suppliments so he grazed our lawn and you could coax he to go anywhere with lettuce. He would disappear from Oct to March as he would burrow and brumate for the winter. I dream of some day having one in my backyard again. 🥰
It's true about California, but not for every state.
https://deserttortoise.org/about-desert-tortoises/captive-desert-tortoise-guidance/

... and there are CB desert tortoises advertised online.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=desert+tortoise+for+sale

Back
Top Bottom