Russian Tortoise Help!

Lazereth

Avid Member
A friend of mine contacted me for help regarding his Russian Tortoise. He noticed he had areas on his shell that he feels is shell rot (see pictures below). I don't have any knowledge about tortoise care and wondered if anyone could help. First, do you suspect shell rot? If so, what steps should he take to start treating it? Thanks so much for any advice you give.

He has a UVB and UV all in one heat bulb (150 watt), a red night bulb, the basking temp is about 100 F and low side of 70 F. Fed twice a day, lettuce spring mix, sometimes romaine with once a week calcium on the lettuce. He doesn't use any other supplements. Coconut husk substrate. Mists every morning to keep humidity 40%. Three times a week, soaks him for 10 minutes. 1477196147914585599_account_id=3.jpg 2535220126040904896_account_id=3.jpg 4392508524924780041_account_id=3.jpg 5222431907874775306_account_id=3.jpg

you need to treat it with chlorhexidine first you need to wash it out and gently scrub it with a tooth brush and non scented soap and gentle scrub it and get anything out that will fall off easy they apply the chlorhexidine on it and repeat for two weeks and it should clear up if not happy until it does and keep it away from water. water will make it get worse if it soaks in it.

Stop soaking and that diet is pretty deficient. The tortoise should be getting the variety we would gutload our feeders with, with less fruits, and more supplementation. A humid hide is recommended, but possibly not until the shell issue is resolved. I can't say it is she'll rot or that it isn't, from the photos, but I agree with the above poster.

Thank you all for helping, he's really upset and scared, but I told him I know a great community that could help if any could... once again thank you all so much.

yes i agree i can't tell if its shell rot or not but the best way to treat is is to keep it away from moisture for two weeks and treat it and it should be completely fine. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom