Runs away

Reptar313

Established Member
I thought this would go away after awhile specially after giving him shots I understood him running and hiding but he would still eat from tongs and come for hornworms. Now he won’t come for them he runs and hides anytime I come around. I try to hang out and hold the hornworm there for him and not have eye contact with him but he just won’t take it I have to set it down and walk away. Any tips on getting him more comfortable and not run and hide all the time? Feel bad for the guy. I don’t handle him anymore. Any advice would be great!

What I’ve been trying but he just hides
Well it doesn’t seem like cage aggression or else he wouldn’t be running away. Seems like genuine fearfulness. I would get a feeder for your cage for the time being since he won’t eat from your hand. It’s definitely a process. Just sitting by the cage and offering him food and showing him you’re not a threat makes a huge difference. You could also try holding out a tray with a bug on it so he’s not taking it directly from your hand. It could also be a phase 🤷‍♀️ My cham changes his opinion of me on a daily basis lol

Also, is there enough foliage in his cage that he feels like he has adequate protection. It could be because he feels too exposed.
Plenty foliage he can hide out of sight of me. I have a feeder cup in there he eats oit of that and eats the horn worms after staring at it or running from it and I set it down for him somewhere. Seems to be getting more fearful of me he doesn’t try hissing at me or attack me or the tongs.

Plenty foliage he can hide out of sight of me. I have a feeder cup in there he eats oit of that and eats the horn worms after staring at it or running from it and I set it down for him somewhere. Seems to be getting more fearful of me he doesn’t try hissing at me or attack me or the tongs.
Hi! can you attached a picture of his enclosure?

Hi! can you attached a picture of his enclosure?
Don’t mind the fog it’s a picture I took to show my fogging setup it only runs at night

Attachments

• B4DB8638-28EF-43AD-BFB8-E940FB726918.jpeg
    B4DB8638-28EF-43AD-BFB8-E940FB726918.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 52
I would just give it time and continue to do the trust building exercises suggested. It’s always a process and hopefully your lovely cham will move out of this phase soon enough. Some yummy treats might help as well. The occasional wax worm and hornworm tends to win my cham over.

How much inches is between your UVB and the highest branch?
12-13 inches as I have Arcadia 12 percent. Also in the picture you can see him hiding in the back left corner. I’ll keep working with him. He used to come running for the hornworms now he runs from them until I leave it somewhere for him. I keep doing that for now at least he sees me putting it there and takes it. Just feel bad he hides anytime he sees me.

12-13 inches as I have Arcadia 12 percent. Also in the picture you can see him hiding in the back left corner. I’ll keep working with him. He used to come running for the hornworms now he runs from them until I leave it somewhere for him. I keep doing that for now at least he sees me putting it there and takes it. Just feel bad he hides anytime he sees me.
Is he in his basking spot? Typically they slant to hide.. does he have a branch that covered with plants i find that my cham like to be there when he is a bit scared he knows there is a safe spot so he ends up coming out to me.... not sure if that makes sense but use tasty bugs that could help but i would just give it time... you will have many years of bonding to get closer so dont rush it! Or it could make it worse :)

Is he in his basking spot? Typically they slant to hide.. does he have a branch that covered with plants i find that my cham like to be there when he is a bit scared he knows there is a safe spot so he ends up coming out to me.... not sure if that makes sense but use tasty bugs that could help but i would just give it time... you will have many years of bonding to get closer so dont rush it! Or it could make it worse :)
No that back corner isn’t how basking spot he runs there first then dips down to the right side by his sleeping spot that has plenty of cover he can get out of sight in a lot areas. I’ve been using hornworms. Definitely not rushing it. Already felt horrible when I had to give him shots.

Well my male veiled calmed down once he hit a year. when i would take him out and sit on the couch he make abrun fir it. Now he just hangs out on me. I also take him outside to sit in the sun when its nice. I dont let him climb to my head but while walking i hold him in one hand so he can wrap his tail around my arm and have him next to my body while walking. If he gets affraid he goes backward on my arm into the crook of it and feels safe. I.let me climb to my shoulder but hold onto his tail. They r very curious creatures and mine seem to.really like A change of scenery. Instead of being just the foid provider, being a companion on walks or sitting outside shows them that u will protect them. I think u should try thus a coupke times a week for a whike to see how he reaz

Well my male veiled calmed down once he hit a year. when i would take him out and sit on the couch he make abrun fir it. Now he just hangs out on me. I also take him outside to sit in the sun when its nice. I dont let him climb to my head but while walking i hold him in one hand so he can wrap his tail around my arm and have him next to my body while walking. If he gets affraid he goes backward on my arm into the crook of it and feels safe. I.let me climb to my shoulder but hold onto his tail. They r very curious creatures and mine seem to.really like A change of scenery. Instead of being just the foid provider, being a companion on walks or sitting outside shows them that u will protect them. I think u should try thus a coupke times a week for a whike to see how he reaz
I can’t get him out of the cage now. Sometimes he wants to come out I’ll let him but I really don’t like to because he will not willing come into me. So I’m just letting him be in his cage until we get more trust built.

Back
Top Bottom