Running out of the cage

Mai

Established Member
Hi guys I have a question I’m not sure if It’s a teen thing but almost 80% of the time I open up the cage to feed him runs out and up the screen door that I opened, then I pick him up and put him down. Sadly he has fallen off it once, he is ok btw. So I thought maybe he is bored so I bought a new plant that’s nice and full but he still does it. TBH it all started when I tried to cup feed him. Which he doesn’t like :( so my theory is one he is bored and wants to explore since he doesn’t really hunt anymore or he is a teen and wants freedom.
Ps the good thing is that he is very friendly and will walk on ur hand

Peepers (male veiled) is a teen right now also, and he is doing the same thing! I know for Mr. Peepers he is 1 - a teenage brat :p, 2 - he is wanting to find a "lady friend" (like all teen males :eek:), 3) he loves to explore and free-range, and lastly 4 - he needs his big boy cage. That seems to be his priority list (in order of importance :ROFLMAO:) to him.

I know you have done your research as (although I did not post much) I liked reading your threads as you were preparing for your guy! It is always nice to see people who do that! So koodo's to you! (I know how frustrating it can be when a new keeper doses not do that... I was on that side of the fence when I started *hides :notworthy:*). With the proper care given (which I believe you have covered) I would say it's just a teenage phase thing.... we all usually go through it one way or another LOL :ROFLMAO:

It’s so funny, because I put him back in his cage then as I’m getting a worm ready for him I can see him looking at me then the side of the cage and back and forth like to time how quick he can do it, and lol people say Chams are slow have never seen one when they want to run lol :LOL: he is like a speed demon lol

Mines a male veiled chameleon he went through the teenager phase they all do when he comes out he wants on the curtains or to sit on me or sometimes a fast walk to the curtains when he's on the floor and if he doesn't want to come onto my hand when its time to go back in his cage he acts like he's going to bite me lol but I just move my hand away and talk to him then he gets over his attitude for a while which they have those a lot lol teenagers like to do whatever they want no matter what though clydes still a mommas boy

Attachments

• 0124181421.jpg
    0124181421.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 251
The stage can last for a few months or they get a little older and grow out of it a secret to get your chameleon happy and loving is to rub under his chin gentely with your index finger mine loves it and sweetens him up fast lol I have real life teens also lol

How big is your cage? Might be time to upgrade to a larger cage. My male started doing this at about 6-8 months old and would constantly make a break for freedom.

Sometimes my veiled would start to going up and down his cage over and over until I open his cage, funny thing is that when I open his cage make some solid eye contract for 20 minutes straight until I leave...... he’s one WIERD character honestly

That’s hysterical what does he do after you leave? Or does he do it to get your attention?

F4664B50-1B4D-4BAB-BBA3-BB2F385CABD0.jpeg
Hi guys I have a question I’m not sure if It’s a teen thing but almost 80% of the time I open up the cage to feed him runs out and up the screen door that I opened, then I pick him up and put him down. Sadly he has fallen off it once, he is ok btw. So I thought maybe he is bored so I bought a new plant that’s nice and full but he still does it. TBH it all started when I tried to cup feed him. Which he doesn’t like :( so my theory is one he is bored and wants to explore since he doesn’t really hunt anymore or he is a teen and wants freedom.
Ps the good thing is that he is very friendly and will walk on ur hand

Lol....same here
My guy waits for me to come in the room and he’s right at the door.
He walks right onto my arm, and if I’m cleaning or doing any maintenance he climbs out of the cage and walks on the top of the door.
I usually take him on a tour of the house just to keep him happy.
I do have a sunroom so after winter I’m going to set up a free range area which I’m sure he will love

He’s very curious
He’s a 9 month old Masoala Panther

That’s hysterical what does he do after you leave? Or does he do it to get your attention?
OOOHHH!!
To be honest I have no idea what he does but I do know this
All my family members tell me he’s nasty and mean when they get near him but when I’m there with him he’s way more greener and nice

There is no after he stays there and just watches me until I’m gone... so wierd... other than that he’s very random some days it’s like DONT GO
and others it’s like
me- goodmorning Kona, ready for breakfast
Kona- HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH

Hello, different theory :

1-its breeding time, he really want to explore the region to found a nice female ready to spread the DNA :p
2-your cage is too small, missing something or something bad (temperature, uvb, foliage, size, heat, decoration.. shape.. who know!? :p you have to make change ont thing at the time to finally found this but if you want help you can post a picture of the cage.)
3-insert a theory here ;)

My six-month-old has started doing the same thing. A few days ago I opened his cage and he propelled himself out of the cage onto my arm and ended up perched on my head. He's been scooting up my arm every day since then as soon as I open the cage. For him I think it's one of two things: 1) he disapproves GREATLY of the new dripper plant I put in, or 2) he has outgrown his cage (he's grown an inch and a half in the past month). Side note: he does not accept change gracefully. I put in a new catch basin and he spent two days glaring at it. Spoiled brat lizard.

Hello, different theory :

1-its breeding time, he really want to explore the region to found a nice female ready to spread the DNA :p
2-your cage is too small, missing something or something bad (temperature, uvb, foliage, size, heat, decoration.. shape.. who know!? :p you have to make change ont thing at the time to finally found this but if you want help you can post a picture of the cage.)
3-insert a theory here ;)

I don’t believe my cage is too small
It’s a 2x2x4 xl reptipreeze with two live plants and a lot of vines and sticks etc
All the temps are in line with peoples on the forum
I have a misting system and the humidity is bang on

Maybe he is looking for a date lol

I don’t believe my cage is too small
It’s a 2x2x4 xl reptipreeze with two live plants and a lot of vines and sticks etc
All the temps are in line with peoples on the forum
I have a misting system and the humidity is bang on

Maybe he is looking for a date lol
Maybe! ;) what is your UVB bulb?

My panther has done the same thing since I got him at around 4 months of age. He walks right into my hand whether I’m getting him out of his indoor, or outdoor enclosures. I think he’s just curious in nature, and also, probably looking for females. He’s roughly 2 years old now.

Yes my cage is the xl too and Everything is right in there. The only change was a few days ago I changed his bottom plant to a fuller one. But when I saw he kinda didn’t want to explore it I replaced it with the old one. But he is still running out of his cage I do believe he is probably looking for a female panther. That makes more sense. So now what I do is I put a really soft padding so when I open his cage in case he falls it will pass his landing. Which is what really scared me in the first place. Ty guys I’m glad to know mine isn’t the only one doing this lol

Back
Top Bottom