Rubber tree plant...

Does anyone have a rubber Tree plant in with their chams? I bought a little one because I know they grow quickly but the more I'm looking at plants safe for chams, the more I am not seeing rubber tree plants on the list. Are they ok?

Do you mean rubber plant? Or rubber as in materialwise... cause yes rubber plant I believe is safe

Do you mean rubber plant? Or rubber as in materialwise... cause yes rubber plant I believe is safe
Yes, the rubber plant itself. Lol. In my hours of research, I am seeing less of them in the plants safe for chams. It's small now but I have intentions of putting in his enclose and I dont want to put anything in that will harm him.

Lol the safe plant lists are BS. What I would do is google rubber plant or whatever toxicity. If it is, what is the compound that makes it toxic? Many 'toxic' things only affect dogs/cats and/or are very minor, like an upset stomach. There are dangerous plants like nightshade, so i recommend looking up the toxin, but 90% of cases you don't have much to worry about.

Lol the safe plant lists are BS. What I would do is google rubber plant or whatever toxicity. If it is, what is the compound that makes it toxic? Many 'toxic' things only affect dogs/cats and/or are very minor, like an upset stomach. There are dangerous plants like nightshade, so i recommend looking up the toxin, but 90% of cases you don't have much to worry about.
Lol! Thanks. I figure that my case will be the 10%. I've only had him for 4 weeks and I've already taken him to the vet for being slightly dehydrated and I totally messed up on his light setup. I ordered and it was supposed to arrive today but is now delayed until Monday because it's coming from west coast. I am on the east coast and I guess there were some delays in Kentucky area. Figures it affects the shipping. No pets stores around me have the fixture and light either. Ahhhhhh! Sometimes I feel like no matter how much I put in, something/s always fail and there is a speed bump. I realize that I may have gotten him a little premature but I am busting my hump to catch up. I really love him. So much so, that my dogs are begging for my attention. Hahaha. Thank goodness my husband and kids fill that void for them for the time being. I'm just glad I joined this group when I did. Y'all have been so incredibly helpful and I am sure have helped aid in his health. I thought I was prepared but I guess not as much as I thought.

You'll be alright (y) you seem to have a willingness to learn and accept advice, I haven't seen anyone in this hobby do that and still fail. In time you'll see keeping a chameleon becomes pretty easy.

Btw you say you're on the east coast, I'm in PA selling some light fixtures pretty cheap. Not trying to push a sale on you, but if you happen to be interested at all LMK. They're just taking up space at my house.

You'll be alright (y) you seem to have a willingness to learn and accept advice, I haven't seen anyone in this hobby do that and still fail. In time you'll see keeping a chameleon becomes pretty easy.

Btw you say you're on the east coast, I'm in PA selling some light fixtures pretty cheap. Not trying to push a sale on you, but if you happen to be interested at all LMK. They're just taking up space at my house.
Ugh! I'm in the southern part east coast NC otherwise I'd jump right on that. And yes, I'm all for advice. I just feel horrible that I probably got him a little premature and should have researched more. I really should have joined this forum first! If I ever talk to anyone thinking about getting a cham, I will most definitely refer this forum to them. I did put some crickets in. About 8 to 10 small ones, dusted and there are only a couple left. It would just make me feel better to have seen him actually eat them. I am also wondering if he may be getting ready to shed. I guess I should do some research about that. He's been having his mouth open and not moving off of his favorite branch much. When I took him to the vet, he said that his lungs sound great and his tounge is sticky like it should be. It was just a little pale but when I brought him home, I took him outside to give him a shower in his hibiscus bush and his tounge seemed to be better in color after that. It's such a learning curve. Lol. I'm a worrier right now but hopefully in time I will feel more at ease.

You are not the only one who has felt that way believe me! Have you filled out the husbandry form yet to get that looked over (realizing it could be in a different thread than this one)? There are several pros on this site that do a great job checking everything for you- I don't think I've ever read one that didn't have some kind of tweak suggested. I like to cup feed our 3 month old panther with a clear plastic cup. Clear so he can see them moving around inside and cup so I know how much he did/didn't eat. He's comfortable enough with me now that I can just hold up the cup near where he's basking and he'll come over and chow down. If you haven't found Gingero's awesome youtube videos yet, would highly recommend--neptune the chameleon. My 12 year old didn't really want to read everything on care but loves watching the videos. If you're more inclined to reading info, then check out https://chameleonacademy.com. Hope your light fixture gets there ok! Good luck!

You are not the only one who has felt that way believe me! Have you filled out the husbandry form yet to get that looked over (realizing it could be in a different thread than this one)? There are several pros on this site that do a great job checking everything for you- I don't think I've ever read one that didn't have some kind of tweak suggested. I like to cup feed our 3 month old panther with a clear plastic cup. Clear so he can see them moving around inside and cup so I know how much he did/didn't eat. He's comfortable enough with me now that I can just hold up the cup near where he's basking and he'll come over and chow down. If you haven't found Gingero's awesome youtube videos yet, would highly recommend--neptune the chameleon. My 12 year old didn't really want to read everything on care but loves watching the videos. If you're more inclined to reading info, then check out https://chameleonacademy.com. Hope your light fixture gets there ok! Good luck!
You and me both. I'm hoping and praying that it gets here in one piece. I did fill out the husbandry questionnaire which I did pretty good on. Just the lighting and lack of plants which I'm working on. He was a rescue and has a lot of trust issues. I've posted pics and MissSkittles (I believe) had commented that his casque looks as though he may have had or the start of MBD. All I know is that the gentleman who surrendered him had 2 that he surrendered and Rosco does better with handling than the other so I kind of think that the guy had good intentions but may have gotten in over his head. I don't know for sure. All I can go off of is Rosco's behavior and what the lady who took him in had told me. It's ok though. I'm patient and love him so much. I've been putting his dusted crickets in a cup, just like you do but I am starting off slow...just letting him see them first and acknowledge them and then slowly dumping them into his feeder run. He loves hornworms but doesn't even seem interested in those. Ugh! I just feel better that his lungs were clear and he looked pretty good, other than being a bit dehydrated. He hates the mister though. Lol.

Sometimes I feel like no matter how much I put in, something/s always fail and there is a speed bump.
Two steps forward, one step back. That's life—you're not alone.
I realize that I may have gotten him a little premature but I am busting my hump to catch up.
Like I said in the other thread...
Just keep reading, watching vids, listening to podcasts, and asking questions.
You and Rosco will be fine. ;)

Two steps forward, one step back. That's life—you're not alone.

Like I said in the other thread...

You and Rosco will be fine. ;)
Thank you! That means so much to me. I really love my little cranky guy. I know I'll be able to crack his code eventually and we will just hit it off. It's just going to take some time.

I believe Rubber Plant (ficus) oozes an irritating white sap when damaged. Its leaves are so stiff its not hard to snap them off. I have them but wouldnt use it in a cham plant - plus not much stem/branching for climbing.

I believe Rubber Plant (ficus) oozes an irritating white sap when damaged. Its leaves are so stiff its not hard to snap them off. I have them but wouldnt use it in a cham plant - plus not much stem/branching for climbing.

Same thing as ficus? If so, I could see a lot of that being annoying.

Ok. That's what I figured, the more research I've done. I guess I'll have to give it away. I'd keep it if it wasn't toxic to dogs but little girl likes to chew on my spider plant (that is an offspring of my great grandmother's plant that's over 50 years old) like it's her own personal salad buffet. ?‍♀️? My poor plant has a bowl cut from my dog. Hahahaha.

This is the plant.

Attachments

• 20200620_090159.jpg
    20200620_090159.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 100
FWIW, a rubber tree is in the genus ficus.
https://www.thespruce.com/grow-rubber-plant-ficus-indoors-1902755
Ficus elastica, also known as a rubber plant, is an odd-looking plant from the tropics of Southeast Asia with huge, soft leaves and an exotic name. It can grow to 50 feet with an enormous canopy of draping, foot-long oval leaves. Like many ficuses, it has hanging roots and develops flanged trunks over time.
See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica
Just as with Hevea brasiliensis, the latex of Ficus elastica is an irritant to the eyes and skin and is toxic if taken internally.
and https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/rubber-plant
Yes the Rubber Plant is (mildly) poisonous to pets and humans. Many Ficus plants including F. elastica have a milky irritating sap in the stems and leaves that can cause gastrointestinal issues if eaten and skin irritation if the sap is allowed to rest on the skin for a time or gets into small cuts.
Yet Center for Animal Rehab & Education, Inc.
considers the wood from Ficus elastica to be non-toxic.

Ficus elastica toxicity "reptiles" (Google search)

After a cursory examination of this search, my personal gut feeling (not a recommendation) is that Ficus elastica sap, while an irritant, is probably not fatal if tasted; more likely in the "upset tummy" category. BICBW.

I'd be very interested if anyone finds anything more definite or informative. I really like this plant (always have—had one in college) and would like the option of including it in a cham enclosure. YMMV.

FWIW, a rubber tree is in the genus ficus.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica

and https://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/rubber-plant

Yet Center for Animal Rehab & Education, Inc.
considers the wood from Ficus elastica to be non-toxic.

Ficus elastica toxicity "reptiles" (Google search)

After a cursory examination of this search, my personal gut feeling (not a recommendation) is that Ficus elastica sap, while an irritant, is probably not fatal if tasted; more likely in the "upset tummy" category. BICBW.

I'd be very interested if anyone finds anything more definite or informative. I really like this plant (always have—had one in college) and would like the option of including it in a cham enclosure. YMMV.
I'm curious what others on here think of it as well and if anyone uses it. My intentions were to prune the heck out of it because if grows so fast so big and just keep it in the bottom half of Rosco's enclosure. More as aesthetics but still hesitate to put it in if it could cause harm. The plant is still small so I have time to decide. Lol. I just cant have it on the floor as my girl dog who is adorable but not the brightest crayon in the box, will probably try to eat it like she does my spider plant. When you have animals/kids, your life revolves around the. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom