Rotting stomach on female

Repashy Calcium PLus has too much D3 in it for everyday use. Even the LoD version is too much for every day use. I'd recommend switching to calcium without D3 to use every feeding and using either the Calcium Plus or Calcium Plus LoD once every two weeks instead. It doesn't hurt to try it out.
Will do, thanks

Since she's in a DIY cage, do you have a Solarmeter 6.5 to measure her UVI levels so her basking area is the correct height away?

No I haven’t even heard of that before. And after checking it’s actually a 5.0 uvb not 10.0 I have a 10.0 for my male in his larger cage.

No I haven’t even heard of that before. And after checking it’s actually a 5.0 uvb not 10.0 I have a 10.0 for my male in his larger cage.
What it does is test the UVI level at her basking spot, which should be 3. With DIY cages, the material often differs from commercially available cages so it’s very hard for us to help you guess at what distance away from the bulb her basking spot should be. A 5.0 can be used in larger cages, too. The 10.0 means you’ll just need a farther distance away from it.

here’s what today looks like, I added some more branches and plants around her laying bin, her basking spot is at 80 degrees. Her entire tail is now black along with one of her legs. She is still acting normal besides the discoloration it’s so odd.
6D987AF2-AAC9-4ECA-B6D8-F6ADC596972A.jpeg
EA7760B9-5965-4F8C-A03D-36A63A996E18.jpeg
7E3360CB-24EB-4BE9-A9A0-425B09EABF58.jpeg
2B88C856-AE5C-461D-9EC5-ACD847FB8B16.jpeg

here’s what today looks like, I added some more branches and plants around her laying bin, her basking spot is at 80 degrees. Her entire tail is now black along with one of her legs. She is still acting normal besides the discoloration it’s so odd. View attachment 300995View attachment 300996View attachment 300997View attachment 300998
So you’ll want to put the UVB fixture over the middle part of the cage, and if you can afford it, definitely get a Solarmeter 6.5 (let me know if you want a link)! How deep is the sand in her lay bin?

The first pics you posted look like an injury. The color was super dark compared to her other blacks. But then you said you took her to the vet, and the vet said she looked healthy. Finally, you posted the last pictures and it looks like that blackness is actually just her color. When you compare her tail and stripes, it doesn't look like an injury anymore.

Is it possible there could be a problem with the color changing mechanisms? Nervous system, or cells themselves? Just a thought...

The first pics you posted look like an injury. The color was super dark compared to her other blacks. But then you said you took her to the vet, and the vet said she looked healthy. Finally, you posted the last pictures and it looks like that blackness is actually just her color. When you compare her tail and stripes, it doesn't look like an injury anymore.

Is it possible there could be a problem with the color changing mechanisms? Nervous system, or cells themselves? Just a thought...
Someone whose female chameleon is having similar black colors in her back legs and tail has a theory that she is gravid and the eggs are pressing on a nerve that is causing the color.

You said..."Someone whose female chameleon is having similar black colors in her back legs and tail has a theory that she is gravid and the eggs are pressing on a nerve that is causing the color."

That's what I wonder too!
Does she have an egg bin in her cage?

You said..."Someone whose female chameleon is having similar black colors in her back legs and tail has a theory that she is gravid and the eggs are pressing on a nerve that is causing the color."

That's what I wonder too!
Does she have an egg bin in her cage?
Yes she does, she hasn’t ventured down yet to check it out but her sister from the same clutch looks like she is definitely gravid and has been walking around the edge of her egg bin. Kind of interesting that both of them are carrying eggs for the first time at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom