Roooookie mistake.... Dangit

Avkidd1980

well I had pascal at the vet almost 4 weeks ago. He had early formation of pinworm and went on panacur. After two days he was doing great! Now... He is not giving me any heathy poops. Undigested bug poops, yellow tinted urates, runny poops. I took a sample back up to vet to have tested. Thinking about all this though.....when I found out he had pin worms....why did I not throw his feeders out??? Ugh. I just want to cry. I was feeding him the same batch of bad crickets. I made my baby sick again. I feel horrible.

I don't know if the pinworms that infect humans are the same as the ones the infect animals. I do know that the eggs are so tiny that they can be injested by inhaling them. They can become airborne. I know of this because my daughter had them when she was about 5 yrs old and I remember reading about them. I also know the eggs can live for up to three weeks. Hopefully getting rid of the feeders will solve the problem along with the meds.

I'm not sure what the recommended dosing is for chameleons, but my vet prescribed two doses of panacur, 4 weeks apart. With most parasites, it takes at least two rounds to remove them completely, in any animal.

The vet said i won't contract them from him. I only asked because I am pregnant and have a 6 yo son. Even so though I have been very careful to keep his cage really clean and my hands sanitized after I have gone in it. the vet did not mention throwing all my feeders out but I feel I should have known better. Did not cross my mind though.

I'm not sure what the recommended dosing is for chameleons, but my vet prescribed two doses of panacur, 4 weeks apart. With most parasites, it takes at least two rounds to remove them completely, in any animal.
Yeah... I had the appointment to go up there after two weeks but I could not make it last week so j had to wait for this week. She did mention it could take two rounds. But he was doing great so I thought I might have re-tainted him. It was still probably partially my fault though.

I did not think they could be transmitted from animal to human, but I was just pointing out the way they infect humans and I did not know if the same was for animals. What I was trying to say, was maybe just getting rid of the feeders is not enough and they could infect your chameleon in the same way they infect humans., Hopefully getting rid of the feeders will solve the problem of reinfection. As gross as it is, I got them from my daughter somehow also!! I was mortified!

I did not think they could be transmitted from animal to human, but I was just pointing out the way they infect humans and I did not know if the same was for animals. What I was trying to say, was maybe just getting rid of the feeders is not enough and they could infect your chameleon in the same way they infect humans., Hopefully getting rid of the feeders will solve the problem of reinfection. As gross as it is, I got them from my daughter somehow also!! I was mortified!
O man that sucks. I'm sorry you had to go through that. My son brings me home germs from school all the time. He likes to share. Lol. Yeah... Hopefully your right. I'm going to ask her about the precautions on it. She did say that it happens all the time ... Reptiles ingesting parasites... Because of what they eat. Said it probably won't be the last time it happens either. She recommend that even if I do not see any symptoms that they should still be screened every year for them.

Back
Top Bottom