Rookie that needs Reassurance

scchameleon

Hey guys. Received a 6 month male BB Panther a week ago. He is eating, drinking, and pooping everyday. Over the past month I have gotten on the board and read a lot of post here. I have learned a great deal about chameleons.

In an effort to provide a balanced diet over the past week he has eaten crickets, dubias, butterworms, and hornworms. All of these feeders were either gutloaded or dusted with calcium. This leads me to my question...

As I have read many post and care sheets about young panthers they always talk about them eating 12 crickets a day. My little guy will usually eat 2-4 3/4 inch dusted crickets, a butterworm or 2 (1 inch), and a medium dubia or hornworm.

Is the above a full diet for a growing boy?

12 crickets = X butterworms, X dubias, ect...

Does this make sense??? Looking for experienced keepers advice. THANKS!

Attachments

• Chamo.jpg
    Chamo.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 95
Follow-Up

So here is a follow-up on my above question. Here is a sample of the feeding schedule of my little guy. Maybe this will help other newbies out.

Day 1: 3 crickets, 2 roaches, 2 butterworms, 1 silkworm
Day 2: 2 crickets, 3 butterworms, 4 silkworms
Day3: 3 silkworms, 2 butterworms
Day 4: 5 crickets, 2 roaches, 1 butterworm, 3 silkworms
Day 5: 3 crickets, 2 roaches, 2 butterworms
Day 6: 3 silkworms, 1 butterworm, 2 roaches
Day 7: 2 butterworms, 5 crickets, 3 silkworms
Day 8: 8 crickets
Day 9: 5 roaches, 1 cricket, 1 hornworm, 1 silkworm
Day 10: 1 butterworm, 5 roaches, 2 silkworms

My Panther (Chamo) still isn't letting me handle him and I'm not going to force him so I haven't been able to weight him, but he has defiantly grown.

A varied diet is what you want so what you are doing is fine. There is no set way you have to feed. Some chameleons will not eat crickets at different times for whatever reason and it will not hurt them.

My guy eats all of that, so I'm just here to recommend some additional feeders. Superworms are very easy to care for and I usually give 1-2 small ones to my 5 month old every other day. Phoenix worms are a decent high in calcium feeder. They are pretty small in general (even the large ones). I've read that most chams aren't interested because of how small they are, but my cham seems to love them. You can get about 150 for a few bucks. Store them in an area that's about 50-60 degrees and you're golden. Some may even pupate to black soldier flies. My cham loves them equally. I'll feed off about 8-10 since they are so tiny.

Back
Top Bottom