Roach rating showdown

I am likely the only person to say this

Dubia fav (I have never had issues with chams taking them)
Orange heads
Surinams
Halloween hissers
And a species I plan to get soon that most would be surprised with lol
Centurion roach

I am likely the only person to say this

Dubia fav (I have never had issues with chams taking them)
Orange heads
Surinams
Halloween hissers
And a species I plan to get soon that most would be surprised with lol
Centurion roach

I stand by dubia too. They are excellent feeders.

.... lol .... come on now, unless you have a veiled. They're pretty much the worst roaches to buy. Outside of them being easier to acquire than OH's they have no advantage. Until you have kept multiple species of roaches and seen cham's reactions, it really shouldn't even be recommended. People say dubia just because that's the only roach they have.

I have dealt with chameleon after chameleon, if I ever deal with a hunger strike it's fixed within a couple days. Idk why everyone else has issues o.o

If I want my chams fo eat dubias I just don't feed anything else until they accept them, it's not a huge deal, but they're almost universally frowned upon in the chameleon world as the least exciting feeder.

If I want my chams fo eat dubias I just don't feed anything else until they accept them, it's not a huge deal, but they're almost universally frowned upon in the chameleon world as the least exciting feeder.
Definitely the least exciting feeder. Edited to add: Boring but nutritious. I think it’s a great tag line! Haha!

Last edited:
I feed like 4 different species of roaches and have done more before plus other species of feeders. I have had veiled, panthers, Jackson's, and actually my Jackson preferred dubia as a roach species and so did my panther for as long as he could see. Lmao my veiled would be a super worm addict if I let him

Would like to see a video of Panthers accepting dubias on the daily lol. Just giving ya a hard time. but I really can't imagine it. You're like one out of a million people who has Panthers that like dubia. And didnt you only recently get orangheads?

Honestly my veiled loves dubias more than anything I have ever fed her. When she sees be getting the container out, she will crawl right up to the opening of the cage to get a better look. I have tried crickets, and she is reluctant. For some reason she didn't like the hornworms, and she didn't like the mealworms that much when I had them either. Her top pick is dubias but she will eat crickets if there is nothing else.

I got orange heads cause everyone wanted them. I have a small colony going right now will be able sell probably in a couple months.

Honestly my veiled loves dubias more than anything I have ever fed her. When she sees be getting the container out, she will crawl right up to the opening of the cage to get a better look. I have tried crickets, and she is reluctant. For some reason she didn't like the hornworms, and she didn't like the mealworms that much when I had them either. Her top pick is dubias but she will eat crickets if there is nothing else.

Female veiled, doesn't get any less picky than that I think. Though I gotta say, my Parsons would actually rather eat dubia than worms, he wont touch any worms other than supers occasionally.

@Andee the centurion roach is too beautiful and expensive to use as a feeder, but it would make a great pet. Unless your colony is huge and you need to get rid of some but even then you could sell them instead lol. I have also been looking at the Orin's zebra roach. It reminds me of a halloween hisser. They're beautiful as well. Definitely want to get some pet roaches lol

Some people have had bad luck with lobsters infesting their homes, but what about giant lobsters? They're a different specie and just look like lobsters. Is there any chance of giant lobsters infesting?

@Longhorn1234 make a large bioactive enclosure. Can keep some roaches in your cham's cage. I've had a Halloween hisser living with my Parsons. Going to add some porcelain and other stuff. Problem is, the ones that dont get eaten tend to stay out of sight. But they hide in their own bins as well so I figure why not.

I
@Longhorn1234 make a large bioactive enclosure. Can keep some roaches in your cham's cage. I've had a Halloween hisser living with my Parsons. Going to add some porcelain and other stuff. Problem is, the ones that dont get eaten tend to stay out of sight. But they hide in their own bins as well so I figure why not.

I've been switching all my roaches to bins with coco fiber, sphagnum moss, and cork bark. I also want to get some branches or something cool looking just so that their enclosures look good haha. It's obviously not as practical but it looks good. Plus having springtails and isopods to help with cleanup is great. But obviously a bioactive enclosure would be awesome. For now I'm just playing around with my roaches lol

@Andee the centurion roach is too beautiful and expensive to use as a feeder, but it would make a great pet. Unless your colony is huge and you need to get rid of some but even then you could sell them instead lol. I have also been looking at the Orin's zebra roach. It reminds me of a halloween hisser. They're beautiful as well. Definitely want to get some pet roaches lol

I have no issue with using expensive and beautiful roaches as feeders XD I have halloween hissers. They are insanely expensive and I sell them for half of what most people do. I know centurions are ridiculous priced. But I also know they breed well. I would sell to roach enthusiasts and for feeders.

not yet, Will be getting some soon, but I am not selling for a while, after your shipment goes out of snails I will be out of comission for probably a couple months, PT is kicking my butt.

Have you ever had a problem with red runners escaping or anything like that? I've read horror stories of these guys infesting houses
I had close to 100 escape in the basement. I have a small heated room like James has. Any roaches that get out of that room don't get too far. It's cold if not in the heated room. Of the 100 that escaped, I found a few over two weeks and never found another one again. They died in that cold basement.

I find it hard to believe Surinam roaches aren’t a more popular feeder. Perfect size, parthenogenetic, possibly the easiest roach to raise, can climb but never do...

Back
Top Bottom