Roach rating showdown

Ummm there are obligate burrowers like surinams and then burrowers like dubia that just do it when they are young or rooting around for food or warmth

I'd add another part to that *ability to infest*( or at least get everywhere). I won't keep red runners or lobsters for that reason, though I know many do without problems, there are also bad experiences with them.

Orangeheads are my favorite, can't climb or fly, gutload great, very active, reproduce well, meaty and chams tend to like them. IMO should replace dubia as the suggested staple roach lol.

Ivory heads for the same reasons as orangeheads while getting larger and meatier. Do well in crowded containers and are composting roaches.

dubia because they're boring enough that I can easily hold one and sneak it into my cham's mouth while he's chewing something else.

Special mention: hisser for being the roach my Parsons will take from my hand

Working on porcelain and discoid colonies, still have to try those once they take off. Would also like to get giant green banana roaches whenever I can find them.

I wanted to ask with your expierence--my young jackson male detests dubai--would the Orangeheads or ivory be enough of a variety he may resolve to eating these?

I'd like to be doing as many positive efforts on my part to promote good health for whatever time I get with him.

I don't know if people are still following this thread but I wanted to ask you roach experts if 90°F is too hot for roaches? I have orange heads, surinams, green bananas, and halloween hissers. I am keeping them in a closet in my balcony and inside the closet it gets to 90°F for most of the day. Then at night gets to 80°F. I've read that most roaches like it at 85°F so I'm wondering if 90°F is overkill. I know some roaches are more hardy than others so what do you guys think?

What is the size range for ivory head roaches? (Nymph to adult) Would the smallest nymphs be too big for 3 month old panther chameleon?

@Chamkev I'm sure a 3m cham could take small ones. Ivories are very fat too, an ivory the same length as a dubia has about double to triple the gut size. Very meaty. They have crunchy shells and their legs can be spikey. A big one even made me bleed once. My chams dont seem to struggle with them at all though.

Be sure to check your roach shipments for lobsters if you don't want climbers. I saw something running across my plastic a couple of times and I thought it was just a big female red runner but when I cleaned out my bin the other day I noticed several nasty lobster roaches in it. Really quite annoyed as the whole reason I bought red runners was to avoid climbers and someone sent me a little surprise hiding in with the red runners:mad: which are now full size and while I think I managed to get most of them worried i'll be dealing with a second generation soon as I am sure there are little ones hiding in there. With any luck with my entire house won't be infested but I am not very happy about the situation.

Back
Top Bottom