Risk of bugs from my yard

Echoezra

Established Member
Hey there,
Just kind of thinking ahead here. I know I've kind of touched on it before, but mostly then I was concerned about parasites, now I'm kind of looking for second opinions as far as the possible risk from pesticides/fertilizer in my area.
See, our house is out in the county area, not in a town or city. We have a neighbour on one side, and they do a lot of landscaping & gardening in their yard. I don't know what they use as far as natural or chemical, I can ask them later but they're out of town until spring finally decides to come, probably another week or two. We are mostly blocked off from them, though, as our house/barn runs lengthwise, and then there's a row of pine trees that blocks off the back section of the yard. So yeah, flying bugs could access both yards, but it would be harder for crawling/hopping ones to cross the big double driveways without grassy coverage, etc.
So in that case, most of the crawly/hoppy bugs will be coming into my yard from the opposite direction - the farm field next to us. Now I don't know this farmer at all, it's new owners, can't ask them anything.
I do know that we only ever see the farmers about twice a year - spring & fall. They spray something & plant - pesticide? fertilizer? just water? I don't know. Is there a length of time that passes that would make things probably safe if it was a chemical? Like if you see the farmer spray wait 2 weeks before feeding anything from outside? Or is it like if they sprayed this year at all, all bugs off limits? I mean so far they haven't been here since the fall, so I'm sure anything would probably be okay, I mean everything's been rained or snowed on a hundred times since then. But I'm sure they'll be coming along soon to get winter stuff gone and spring stuff in, and there'll be a spray of some sort involved in that too, I'm sure. So then how long until it's okay, if ever?
I'm just hoping to get them outside for lots of sun this spring/summer and I'm sure there'll be some bugs popping around, if they happen to get one on their own, I was hoping I don't have to freak out. Plus, we tend to get lots of grasshoppers in the summer, I was hoping maybe it would be okay to catch the boys some of those.
Not that they're hard done by, bugwise, by any means! lol. My feeder order cost almost as much as the store I work at last week! lol. (lots of hornworms)
I just thought some grasshoppers would be a nice treat, since I don't think I can stand feeding mantises, they're too cute.

Thoughts on this situation, anyone??

When I catch wc bugs. I hold them for at least 24 hrs prior to feeding them off. That way if they have come into contact with any pesticides they would have died long before being fed off. I also gut load them with romaine & greens to give them something nutritious to eat. As far as the neighbors and the fertilizers go. I would try and keep all my guys inside for a few days at least after you see them spray anything just to be safe. I'd try and be neighborly and just ask do you spray anything that might harm our animals? I want to know just so I can keep them put up when your spraying. That sort of thing. People will usually be forthcoming if you approach them in a nice humble manner.

Good idea, holding onto them. I was figuring that about the pesticides at least (if they were pesticides, the pest should be dead, lol) I was actually figuring more that it would be fertilizer, cause it's usually when they've just planted something. How long do you think fertilizer would hang around getting on the bugs, after a planting? Frankly, that's probably when we'd get the most bugs, they feel that big ole machine coming and head for the hills! lol.
That's why it's so hard to ask someone what they're doing or using or planting or spraying, cause they're usually far away in the field, and on a huge and incredibly loud machine. Makes it hard to chitchat. I don't know who owns it to call them up at home. A lot of times I won't even be home when they do it, you come back and there's no more privacy wall around your yard, lol. Guess the farmers were here?
If I am home I'm always pulling my dog in just in case. Cross your legs, buddy, dont know what they might be spraying. Dont' need any Monsanto tumors. ;) I wouldn't have the chams out right after either, for sure.

When I catch wc bugs. I hold them for at least 24 hrs prior to feeding them off. That way if they have come into contact with any pesticides they would have died long before being fed off. I also gut load them with romaine & greens to give them something nutritious to eat. As far as the neighbors and the fertilizers go. I would try and keep all my guys inside for a few days at least after you see them spray anything just to be safe. I'd try and be neighborly and just ask do you spray anything that might harm our animals? I want to know just so I can keep them put up when your spraying. That sort of thing. People will usually be forthcoming if you approach them in a nice humble manner.

Back
Top Bottom