Right eye staying closed

Reptar313

Established Member
I have what I assume is a year old veiled chameleon I recently purchased. He’s keeping his right eye close he will open it if he really needs to. If he does he’ll bludge it move his eye around then close it again. I took him to the vet she said could be from lack of uvb as the light I bought was a dud. What are your thoughts?

Make Veiled
Year old or so
Current setup 16x16x30 screen( 24x24x48) will be here today
Temps 100 basking area 70-80 ambient temp 50 percent humidity after mist 90
Misting 2 times a day also have little dripper
Lights 1 linear 18” 5.0 reprising 100w basking light

I have what I assume is a year old veiled chameleon I recently purchased. He’s keeping his right eye close he will open it if he really needs to. If he does he’ll bludge it move his eye around then close it again. I took him to the vet she said could be from lack of uvb as the light I bought was a dud. What are your thoughts?

Make Veiled
Year old or so
Current setup 16x16x30 screen( 24x24x48) will be here today
Temps 100 basking area 70-80 ambient temp 50 percent humidity after mist 90
Misting 2 times a day also have little dripper
Lights 1 linear 18” 5.0 reprising 100w basking light

Hi there welcome to the forum. So basking temps are way too hot. Should be no hotter than 85.

If he is rolling the eye it is more likely that he has something bothering him in it or he is trying to clean it.

UVB with a T5HO fixture and 5.0 bulb should have a 8-9 inch distance to the branch below it for the correct UVI level.

Can you post some pics of the chameleon?

37C4C536-B108-4664-923B-B9F5647300AE.jpeg

hmm I read that’s the temps it should be for basking 90-110
No you will essentially dehydrate and cook them at temps that hot. Their bodies can not handle it. 85 would be the max. I keep my male Veiled at 83 for basking temp.

This boy is very thin as well. You can tell by not only his limbs but how concave his casque is. How long have you had him and what is he eating? What are the supplements your using?

I just got him a week ago the reptile store said he’s a rescue. Took him to the vet he has an upper respiratory infection. Been feeding him horn worms for the weight I’ll lower the basking temp

Was worms would help fatten him up...but don't overdo them.
What is being done to get rid of the respiratory infection?
What supplements re you using? I'm particularly looking for calcium, pho, D3, and form of vitamin A.

he is give antibiotic shots every 3 days 10 times for the URI. He gets calcium on every bug without d3. 2x a week I’m giving multivitamin but I’m switching to 2x a month. X-rays and blood work are good besides for the infection. My concern is why is he keepin

Attachments

• 2E398860-1AD9-44BB-B4DA-FABF501CEF4F.jpeg
    2E398860-1AD9-44BB-B4DA-FABF501CEF4F.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 69
he is give antibiotic shots every 3 days 10 times for the URI. He gets calcium on every bug without d3. 2x a week I’m giving multivitamin but I’m switching to 2x a month. X-rays and blood work are good besides for the infection. My concern is why is he keepin
Ok now that I know that he is being treated for an URI this makes more sense as well. They will close their eyes when they are sick and stressed as well. Other reasons are lack of UVB and vitamin A issues. But now that we now he is going through shots for the infection the eye closing makes more sense since this is a lot of stress to put on the body. Add in a new home and new enclosure...

yeah he’s very stressed out I feel so bad having to give him shots but it’s for the best for him. I corrected the basking temps and got a new uvb bulb as the vet said the one I had was a dud. Today he seems to be using his right eye more. Hopefully on to better health for him

Please post a couple more photos of him so I can see all of him.
He’s a rescue the lady said he was dropped off in a box at the reptile store. I’ve been giving him a couple crickets, 4-5 wax worms and 1-2 horn worms with calcium. He doesn’t seem to like the crickets anymore. Hope to get him back 100 percent. I’ve only had him a week

Attachments

• C9CBE734-7486-440B-A1B4-667C6950E2CD.jpeg
    C9CBE734-7486-440B-A1B4-667C6950E2CD.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 65
When he was sleeping his right eye was popping out further than normal like it was filled up with liquid. He seems to be using it more. Just a worried chameleon owner.
So the look of his eye now is actually abnormal. It shows there is an issue going on with him. Could mean anything from dehydration, illness, stress. They should extend out of the socket rather than be inset like that.

So the look of his eye now is actually abnormal. It shows there is an issue going on with him. Could mean anything from dehydration, illness, stress. They should extend out of the socket rather than be inset like that.
he has a URI. He only does that sometimes usually it’s closed and normal looking. Last night when he was sleeping it was bulging out more than usual. He seems to use it more when he’s moving around were as before he would move with it closed. Hes getting water I see him drink. Do you think the URI is causing this? I took him to the vet she said she looked at his eye doesn’t seem to have anything inside of it. He’s on shots for the URI

he has a URI. He only does that sometimes usually it’s closed and normal looking. Last night when he was sleeping it was bulging out more than usual. He seems to use it more when he’s moving around were as before he would move with it closed. Hes getting water I see him drink. Do you think the URI is causing this? I took him to the vet she said she looked at his eye doesn’t seem to have anything inside of it. He’s on shots for the URI
illness and stress can cause this... So if the vet checked and the eye seemed clear then the stress and illness is impacting him.

Back
Top Bottom