Rieppeleon Brevicaudatus PLEASE I NEED HELP! filled out help form

giaindell

help form .

the type of speces is a - Rieppeleon Brevicaudatus also known as bearded pygmy chameleon, he is wild caught, and he has been in my care since 12-17-2010.
i rarely handle my chemeleon only for inspection maybe once every either one or two weeks.
i feed him small crickets, i feed him whatever he eats when he does he used to eat 2-4 but its been decreasing from 0-2, i feed him every two days, and im not gutloading.
i mist my chameleon, i mist 3-4 times a day for around 2-3 minutes, i do not see my chameleons drink but my female chameleon has been doing fine and i dont see her drink either and she is in the same terrarium as him.
the fecal matter has been like a white-clear and brown color, he has never been tested for parasites.
he was never like this he was usually active but now he barely moves.

he is in a glass terrarium 18x18x18
zilla light bulbs one 50w and one 25w
usually turned on around 7:30 in the am - 9:30
mid - high 70s-80s temperature, lowest is 65-70
high 70s - mid 80s maintaining by misting when low measured by a humidity gauge.
the tank is located in my room, rarely in my room, and no temperature changes
located in ny

im concerned about him dying cause hes very limp and a very light grip. he sleeps during the day to the night, rarely eats as much he usually does.

hey

From what I can tell you is that gutloding as well as dusting you crickets with a calcium supplement is critical for you chams health.

I dont know much as I am new to this as well but from the research I have done your not supposed to keep your chams in glass terrariums and you are not supposed to keep 2 in the same enclosure, you need to have 2 seperate cages set up. Another thing is you didnt mention a uvb light which from what I have learned here is vital to their health, I hope this helps Im sure a more experianced keeper will chime in at some point......good luck

Pygmys don't need uvb rays. And they actually unlike many other species of chameleons can be housed together if the cages are big enough and if they aren't to males.

for these chameleons its needed to have a glass terrarium because they need high humidity. its okay for these chameleons to be housed togethher if you go look up bearded pygmy chameleon its okay to do so but i just found him dead this morning soo i just have my one female now ): very upsetting .

WHOA! You are cooking them. Take the heat lamp off. They need temps in the low 70's all the time-say 70-74. Temps in the 80's and they will start dropping like flies!

You need to gutload and I supplement adults by dusting very, very lightly with calcium NO d3 once a week or so.

Supplementation is needed!!!!!!!!!! Calcium, D3, and Vitamins on a regular schedule. Calcium a couple times a week, d3 and vitamins once or twice a month (on different days).

Also, since you got him wild he might be nearing the end of his normal life cycle. Most of the sources I have read give them a life cycle of only about 3 to 4 years. I am not 100% on this if someone with more experiance can chime in on life expectancy.

That is one of the huge disadvantages to buying wild caught animals. Along with parasites, stress, and injuries, it can take a huge toll.

Supplementation is needed!!!!!!!!!! Calcium, D3, and Vitamins on a regular schedule. Calcium a couple times a week, d3 and vitamins once or twice a month (on different days).

Also, since you got him wild he might be nearing the end of his normal life cycle. Most of the sources I have read give them a life cycle of only about 3 to 4 years. I am not 100% on this if someone with more experiance can chime in on life expectancy.

That is one of the huge disadvantages to buying wild caught animals. Along with parasites, stress, and injuries, it can take a huge toll.

Have you raised Brevs? Easy to oversupplement-what you mentioned is fine for a Veiled or Panther.

i dust the crickets with the calcium and she is also wild caught as well but she is doing just fine eating schedule has been the same ever since i got her. shes still active and might be gravid

I dont know much as I am new to this as well but from the research I have done your not supposed to keep your chams in glass terrariums and you are not supposed to keep 2 in the same enclosure, you need to have 2 seperate cages set up. Another thing is you didnt mention a uvb light which from what I have learned here is vital to their health, I hope this helps Im sure a more experianced keeper will chime in at some point......good luck

Brevs are kept in glass terrariums due to the humidity levels they require. They can be kept as singles, or in groups, as long as there is enough space for them. Some keepers use uvb lights, some do not. Not a requirement.

This is not an appropriate supplementation schedule for this species!!!!

Thanks Juli for your posts. I can't believe (or maybe I should by now) that people are giving advice to someone when they have absolutely no clue regarding the speicies! I am no expert, by any means, but there are at least some basics. Just because you have a veiled doesn't mean you know how to raise anything else. If you don't know, a simple "I'm sorry" will suffice. Incorrect information is NOT what's needed, especially when someone has a sick or dying animal. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Thanks Juli for your posts. I can't believe (or maybe I should by now) that people are giving advice to someone when they have absolutely no clue regarding the speicies! I am no expert, by any means, but there are at least some basics. Just because you have a veiled doesn't mean you know how to raise anything else. If you don't know, a simple "I'm sorry" will suffice. Incorrect information is NOT what's needed, especially when someone has a sick or dying animal. Sorry, I just had to vent.

Very understandable. You just put into words what I was thinking.

here are some pictures after his death i dont know if this will help anything but he was basically black with white stripe down his stomach im not sure if this will determine what happened but it just might

Are you sure he's dead? They play dead so well that I have heard of people "throwing them out" and finding that they got up and walked away from where they put them.

The white spot is odd...almost looks like a fungus.

Are you sure he's dead? They play dead so well that I have heard of people "throwing them out" and finding that they got up and walked away from where they put them.

The white spot is odd...almost looks like a fungus.

im sure he was dead i turned the light on and he was like that and he never played dead before but i do know what you were talking about but i picked him up and he was still due too rigor mortis which happens after death. i feel bad for the female she lost her companion so i plan on waiting until febuary 26th the reptile show an hour away to see if they have any of my breed of chameleons so im going to get her a male and a female.

I still wouldn't dispose of it for a while. They feel stiff when they play dead and no matter what you do to them (short of hurting them) they don't move or breath or blink.

Back
Top Bottom