Ridge on female's lower back

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Today as I was caring for my young female I noticed this ridge along her topside over her rear legs. This has never been there before..... any ideas what this is? Is it a normal part of development or do we have a problem?
Sue
IMG_6432.jpg
IMG_6433.jpg

In the 2nd pic, it almost looks like there’s a small wound along the center. Can you confirm if there’s anything there or not?
I’ve no idea what that is, but it does not appear normal.

In the 2nd pic, it almost looks like there’s a small wound along the center. Can you confirm if there’s anything there or not?
I’ve no idea what that is, but it does not appear normal.
Wow, you've got one heck of an eye - I didn't notice that until I really zoomed in on my phone. I just tried to get more pix but she's so timid, as soon as she sees me getting too close to the cage she takes off.
IMG_6439.jpg
IMG_6440.jpg

Wow, that's exactly the right spot..... so it's her hipbone I guess? It was never visible until today...... I wonder if that means she's underweight?
Sue
She doesn’t look underweight, but she still does have some growing and filling out to do. Only a vet doing X rays can really tell you if that’s a bony protrusion and why it may be like that. I’m just taking a guess based on a little bit of knowledge. Either make a vet visit or just keep an eye on her and make sure she’s using her rear legs and tail without any problems.

She doesn’t look underweight, but she still does have some growing and filling out to do. Only a vet doing X rays can really tell you if that’s a bony protrusion and why it may be like that. I’m just taking a guess based on a little bit of knowledge. Either make a vet visit or just keep an eye on her and make sure she’s using her rear legs and tail without any problems.
Thank you - I really appreciate the feedback and thoughts. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it and her.
Sue

She looks a little underweight to me. Looking at the entire body and along her spine.
Thanks, that's very possible because she hasn't been eager to eat lately. I'll try some more enticing foods and try to get her interested again. I figured it was just because she was molting but she's done now.
Sue

Thanks, that's very possible because she hasn't been eager to eat lately. I'll try some more enticing foods and try to get her interested again. I figured it was just because she was molting but she's done now.
Sue
Have you gotten a fecal done on her? At this age they are typically ravenous easily taking down 2 dozen feeders a day and they do not tend to get picky unless it is a feeder they are not familiar with.

Have you gotten a fecal done on her? At this age they are typically ravenous easily taking down 2 dozen feeders a day and they do not tend to get picky unless it is a feeder they are not familiar with.
Well therein lies half of the problem: at the pet store she was only fed meal worms and I've been trying to get her OFF of mealworms so the foods I do offer are unfamiliar to her. I just had to knock a roach off her face... it was on her mouth but she still didn't eat it. :(

She was taken to the vet when I thought she had issues a few weeks ago but I honestly don't know if they did a fecal.... the pet store brought her when I returned her saying she didn't look right.
Sue

Well therein lies half of the problem: at the pet store she was only fed meal worms and I've been trying to get her OFF of mealworms so the foods I do offer are unfamiliar to her. I just had to knock a roach off her face... it was on her mouth but she still didn't eat it. :(

She was taken to the vet when I thought she had issues a few weeks ago but I honestly don't know if they did a fecal.... the pet store brought her when I returned her saying she didn't look right.
Sue
Have you tried small crickets? This is what they are raised on typically when they come from big box stores.

They more then likely did not do a fecal.

Yes, but the crickets still may not be small enough for her..... I will go on a store search today for smaller ones.
Sue

Since there is a small wound, my first thought was abcess. Either way, i think a vet visit is needed. I eould put some neosporin on it just in case until you can get her into a vet.

I got a very close look at the area today and there definitely is not a wound.... it really looks like the outline of her hip bone. (shrug).
Sue

Just gotta get her eating... Her bones are showing like that because she is under weight. If you get small crickets and she does not eat those either then you want to get a fecal done to rule out a parasite load. If she has parasites this can greatly impact their appetite. You have a small window of time when they are babies for them to grow to their full potential. So figuring out the cause is important to ensure she grows properly before she matures.

Back
Top Bottom