Ricki does not want any medicine today!

And MORE progress…Ricki’s enclosure is set up in such a way that he has branches that allow him to come out on his own to free roam if I leave the enclosure door open. Today for the first time in months, he came out on his own, went to his poop branch and passed a good poop, urate and a small puddle. He then proceeded to tour the house as he sometimes used to like to do!!! This is amazing progress considering he could barely walk a branch in his enclosure. He is now heading back to his room to get back in his enclosure.🥳🥳🥳🎉🎉🎉 I’m so excited, my heart is racing. 💚💓

And MORE progress…Ricki’s enclosure is set up in such a way that he has branches that allow him to come out on his own to free roam if I leave the enclosure door open. Today for the first time in months, he came out on his own, went to his poop branch and passed a good poop, urate and a small puddle. He then proceeded to tour the house as he sometimes used to like to do!!! This is amazing progress considering he could barely walk a branch in his enclosure. He is now heading back to his room to get back in his enclosure.🥳🥳🥳🎉🎉🎉 I’m so excited, my heart is racing. 💚💓
I’m so happy to hear this!!! Hopefully he keeps moving forward with his recovery!

Update On Ricki…had a vet follow up appointment yesterday. She was very happy with his progress. Did X-rays and confirmed he has arthritis But his bone density is very good. I’ll share that when she sends me the link.

His kidney issue appears to be resolved but he still isn't eating on his own and isn’t as agile as he used to be. This is likely as a result of age and the arthritis. The jaw issue is also likely due to arthritis. So, he will continue on pain meds for the arthritis.

And the vet came up with a “Physiotherapy” strategy for him. She tried a few different food replacement products and found one that he loves. It’s an urgent care food for dogs/cats. It has too much protein and fat to use as a daily food but I will use it to encourage him to use his tongue if he wants some. She demonstrated and sure enough he extended his tongue slightly to get the string of food dangling from the syringe. So I’ll be doing this a few times a week to exercise his tongue. I’ll then be trying to do this with the CC syringe food once he strengthens his tongue and then try moving up to small silkworms.

I was very discouraged at the beginning of this but am feeling much more positive and encouraged😊

Update On Ricki…had a vet follow up appointment yesterday. She was very happy with his progress. Did X-rays and confirmed he has arthritis But his bone density is very good. I’ll share that when she sends me the link.

His kidney issue appears to be resolved but he still isn't eating on his own and isn’t as agile as he used to be. This is likely as a result of age and the arthritis. The jaw issue is also likely due to arthritis. So, he will continue on pain meds for the arthritis.

And the vet came up with a “Physiotherapy” strategy for him. She tried a few different food replacement products and found one that he loves. It’s an urgent care food for dogs/cats. It has too much protein and fat to use as a daily food but I will use it to encourage him to use his tongue if he wants some. She demonstrated and sure enough he extended his tongue slightly to get the string of food dangling from the syringe. So I’ll be doing this a few times a week to exercise his tongue. I’ll then be trying to do this with the CC syringe food once he strengthens his tongue and then try moving up to small silkworms.

I was very discouraged at the beginning of this but am feeling much more positive and encouraged😊
So wonderful to hear! Remember chams do everything SLOW including recovering.

I’d like to redo Ricki’s enclosure to accommodate his arthritis and periodic lethargy. He’s in a DS 48x24x48. I thought about moving him to a xl reptibreeze but don’t want to restrict his space or impede his exercise moving from one side to another; just want to make it easier. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated so I can get it right the first time and not messing with him any more than necessary TIA. 💚

I’d like to redo Ricki’s enclosure to accommodate his arthritis and periodic lethargy. He’s in a DS 48x24x48. I thought about moving him to a xl reptibreeze but don’t want to restrict his space or impede his exercise moving from one side to another; just want to make it easier. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated so I can get it right the first time and not messing with him any more than necessary TIA. 💚
Maybe turn it on the side? Still lots of room to move horizontally. But need a taller stand so he feels the security of height?

Thanks so much for sharing his progress! He's so handsome and deserves the best. Which you're giving him ♥️ Love the idea to make his enclosure more accommodating to his arthritis. When you figure that out share some pics!

Maybe turn it on the side? Still lots of room to move horizontally. But need a taller stand so he feels the security of height?
he isn’t falling and has a good grip so I’m not worried about that. If it does come to that I will modify the enclosure by putting in a false floor.

When my sweet Grumpy was declining and starting to lose her grip, I hated the idea of moving her to a smaller or hospital enclosure. Instead I took some flexible Fluker’s vine and some branches and made the spaces she needed to traverse closer together and at shallower angles. As things progressed and she was losing good mobility I added more. I did eventually have to move her to a small enclosure and made safety accommodations for her, but I bought her some decent time in her usual ‘home’ enclosure.

When my sweet Grumpy was declining and starting to lose her grip, I hated the idea of moving her to a smaller or hospital enclosure. Instead I took some flexible Fluker’s vine and some branches and made the spaces she needed to traverse closer together and at shallower angles. As things progressed and she was losing good mobility I added more. I did eventually have to move her to a small enclosure and made safety accommodations for her, but I bought her some decent time in her usual ‘home’ enclosure.
Thank you!

BEST DAY TODAY! So Ricki was not very well since Saturday. Wouldn’t swallow formula, lethargic, not drinking. This morning, I decided not to give him his meds (pain med, calcium, lactulose), thinking he might eat his EmerAid/Repashy Grub Pie mix) if I wasn’t stuffing him with meds. Later in the morning, I tried feeding him and for first time, he was opening his mouth looking for more and more until the syringe was empty!! He then did a few full tours of the house and he seemed so much stronger than he has in a while. I put him back in his enclosure and he moved around more than usual. At bedtime, he drank quite a bit of water from the dropper, again opening his mouth for more and more. He has not used his tongue for such a long time, I was shocked and thrilled when he extended his tongue about 1.5 inches 4 times and licked the side of the dropper!! Weird but I was so happy to see his tongue😊.
Hoping for another good day tomorrow. Maybe he will even take a silkworm. 👍👍👍WooHoo!

BEST DAY TODAY! So Ricki was not very well since Saturday. Wouldn’t swallow formula, lethargic, not drinking. This morning, I decided not to give him his meds (pain med, calcium, lactulose), thinking he might eat his EmerAid/Repashy Grub Pie mix) if I wasn’t stuffing him with meds. Later in the morning, I tried feeding him and for first time, he was opening his mouth looking for more and more until the syringe was empty!! He then did a few full tours of the house and he seemed so much stronger than he has in a while. I put him back in his enclosure and he moved around more than usual. At bedtime, he drank quite a bit of water from the dropper, again opening his mouth for more and more. He has not used his tongue for such a long time, I was shocked and thrilled when he extended his tongue about 1.5 inches 4 times and licked the side of the dropper!! Weird but I was so happy to see his tongue😊.
Hoping for another good day tomorrow. Maybe he will even take a silkworm. 👍👍👍WooHoo!
This is wonderful news!!!!! Keep it up Ricki and @Jo00 - great job as well!

Back
Top Bottom