Ricki does not want any medicine today!

I don’t know if any of this is true for chameleons…
“Use extreme caution when prescribing this medication to a patient with kidney problems, as Gabapentin is removed from the body through the kidneys”…
”Gabapentin should not be stopped abruptly because withdrawal can precipitate seizures or rebound pain”…
”Gabapentin should not be administered within two hours of oral antacids or the antacids will hinder absorption of the Gabapentin, making it less effective”…calcium is an antacid.
https://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/medications/gabapentin/#:~:text=Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant prescribed,Dosage can vary widely.

There are quite a few side effects…but who knows what ones will apply to chameleons?!?
😲😲😲

Lethargic and having trouble moving around.
This is him this morning and he stayed there for quite a while until I took him out for meds and feeding.

Attachments

• 1688403370675.jpeg
    1688403370675.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 33
Poor guy. I found the very hardest part of having a sick chameleon is I just want to hold/hug them for comfort like I’ve always done with my cats & dogs. But you just can’t do that. 😞

I haven’t had pain meds for any for years now…so I can’t really tell you any since they’ve likely all changed by now. Sorry. Hopefully some others on here can help you with some names.

I haven’t had pain meds for any for years now…so I can’t really tell you any since they’ve likely all changed by now. Sorry. Hopefully some others on here can help you with some names.
Thank you.

Ricki was showing improvement and now he seems to have relapsed😕. Could it be one of his new meds?
AntIbiotic enrofloxacin?
Pain med gabapentin?

He’s not due for Enrofloxacin until tomorrow.
Not sure if I should give him the gabapentin today. On a scale of 0.01 to 0.05, he is at 0.02.

Any suggestions?
Yes check with vet. But in general I would say avoid pain med unless the animal seems in obvious or extreme pain, they often aren't effective and as mentioned all have to be cleared by either kidneys or liver adding to their load. Most animals are pretty stoic with pain although vets now want to prescribe this one or meloxicam for virtually everything and they are not innocuous meds.

Unrelated of course as I am a mammal-but I was prescribed gabapentin for post surgical pain, and not only was it worthless on the pain, it caused extreme lower leg edema. The minute I was off, it went away.

Yes check with vet. But in general I would say avoid pain med unless the animal seems in obvious or extreme pain, they often aren't effective and as mentioned all have to be cleared by either kidneys or liver adding to their load. Most animals are pretty stoic with pain although vets now want to prescribe this one or meloxicam for virtually everything and they are not innocuous meds.

Unrelated of course as I am a mammal-but I was prescribed gabapentin for post surgical pain, and not only was it worthless on the pain, it caused extreme lower leg edema. The minute I was off, it went away.
WOW! Thanks for the warning. I’ve reduced it to minimum dose of 0.01 ml and only once a day. Vet said we can try another pain med but I honestly have no idea if he is actually in pain. I think I’ll just discontinue it. Seems to be doing more harm than good. I’ll see if there is any sign at all of pain. Next appointment is July 27. She thinks he can’t open his mouth because of TMJ-like symptoms which is very painful. And which is why she added a pain med. Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. I appreciate that.

👍 Woohoo…Ricki has gained 8 grams. From 238 to 245! 🥳🥳. He’s also moving around again. I did cut his pain med to 0.01 (the lowest dose). Still not opening his mouth or eating on his own but we will hopefully figure that out.

👍 Woohoo…Ricki has gained 8 grams. From 238 to 245! 🥳🥳. He’s also moving around again. I did cut his pain med to 0.01 (the lowest dose). Still not opening his mouth or eating on his own but we will hopefully figure that out.
Awesome news !!!

Back
Top Bottom