Respiratory infection in veiled chameleon

ShadowsHealth

hey everyone,, so I bought my son a chameleon from a pet store and I noticed a week later she was having her mouth open once and awhile the I noticed she was gasping...rook her to the vet and she has a respiratory infection..they have me antibiotics to give her she has had two rounds so far.... how do i know if she is getting better? what is her humidity suppose to be at? I read different things online and also about the temperature... I'm scared I'm doing something wrong and i just want to make sure im caring for her the BEST way i can...she is now a part of this family and i want to give her the best life i can....any advise? suggestions? anything? OH and do they need a fogger, mister and dripper? i want to make sure i have everything covered and i am not short on something....thanks

hey everyone,, so I bought my son a chameleon from a pet store and I noticed a week later she was having her mouth open once and awhile the I noticed she was gasping...rook her to the vet and she has a respiratory infection..they have me antibiotics to give her she has had two rounds so far.... how do i know if she is getting better? what is her humidity suppose to be at? I read different things online and also about the temperature... I'm scared I'm doing something wrong and i just want to make sure im caring for her the BEST way i can...she is now a part of this family and i want to give her the best life i can....any advise? suggestions? anything? OH and do they need a fogger, mister and dripper? i want to make sure i have everything covered and i am not short on something....thanks
My guess is that the vet prescribed Baytril which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Humidity around 40 during the day and should increase at night up to as much as 100%. Since you have a female it will require some special care verses a male.
Will let @Beman chime in on the details as she loves to help with advice. She will be asking questions so get ready.?
Welcome to the world of Chameleons.

Hi there. To start off I am going to give you a link to read through a husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Now then daytime humidity for a veiled should be 30-40%. Foggers are only run at night when cage temps drop. Drippers can be as simple as a solo cup with a push pin hole in the bottom dripping down on plants. Mister can be a hand held sprayer or automated like a mistking. You will not be misting during the day only morning and evening when temps are lower.

If you would like detailed info please fill out this form with as much detail as possible and add pics of your entire cage lights down and of your cham.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I will do the best I can to answer the questions...

Chameleon- veiled chameleon the store I bought from said female and shes young..but don't know the age
Handling- once a week. I know they don't like to be handled so I try not to unless necessary
Feeding- I'm feeding her crickets and mealworms but she doesn't like them. I was told to feed her 10-12 a day in two feeding sessions. I gut load them with greens and calcium with D3 once so far. I've only had her two weeks now.
Supplements- I have but haven't used them all yet but the Repti Calcium with AND without D3 and the Reptivite..I was planning 2X a month with the calcium and D3 then the calcium without D3 2x a week and vitamins once a month
Watering- I've seen her drink twice but she is in my son's room where I don't see her all day. I have the Reptirain that is scheduled twice a day morning and evening and for a minute.
Fecal Description- she poops regularly and it's soft and wet but urate I haven't seen in two days attached with her poop. the other day I did find a white mucus clump on one leaf..dont know
History- I have no prior knowledge of her history

Cage information
Cage type- the Screen enclosure we bought was recommended its the Reptibreeze 16x16
Lighting- Zilla Tropical 18inch and the Repti basking light. We have them on a 12-hour schedule which we turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7 pm. no lighting at night
Temperature- During the day the basking temp is usually 85-90F and the cooling is 72-75F overnight over 67F usually
Humidity- her lower humidity is 40% and upper says 50% and I measure these with two different humidity gauges
Plants- she has two Pothos plants in there and fake ones too
Placement- she is located in my son's room next to the window but doesn't get direct sun, near vent but it's closed and no fans on. No one really enters my son's room we try not to scare her.
Location- we are in California

Current Problem- she has a respiratory infection and I just want to make sure we are doing all that we can to make sure she recovers and has a happy life. she is now part of the family and we care for her as one. I want to make sure her overall health is great and that I'm doing everything I am supposed to do correctly. She is prescribed Baytril and we are having a hard time giving it to her...she refuses to open her mouth. Anything is helpful. I know of someone that has two chameleons but they are unreliable when it comes to keeping in touch so I was so happy to have found this site. Thanks again for your time!!!!!!

Hi there. To start off I am going to give you a link to read through a husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Now then daytime humidity for a veiled should be 30-40%. Foggers are only run at night when cage temps drop. Drippers can be as simple as a solo cup with a push pin hole in the bottom dripping down on plants. Mister can be a hand held sprayer or automated like a mistking. You will not be misting during the day only morning and evening when temps are lower.

If you would like detailed info please fill out this form with as much detail as possible and add pics of your entire cage lights down and of your cham.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

I replied but don’t know if I attached it right ?

My guess is that the vet prescribed Baytril which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Humidity around 40 during the day and should increase at night up to as much as 100%. Since you have a female it will require some special care verses a male.
Will let @Beman chime in on the details as she loves to help with advice. She will be asking questions so get ready.?
Welcome to the world of Chameleons.
Yikes, I hope it was cephtaz, not baytril. I’m not a vet, but I know cephtazadime is a lot easier on the system.

I will do the best I can to answer the questions...

Chameleon- veiled chameleon the store I bought from said female and shes young..but don't know the age
Handling- once a week. I know they don't like to be handled so I try not to unless necessary
Feeding- I'm feeding her crickets and mealworms but she doesn't like them. I was told to feed her 10-12 a day in two feeding sessions. I gut load them with greens and calcium with D3 once so far. I've only had her two weeks now.
Supplements- I have but haven't used them all yet but the Repti Calcium with AND without D3 and the Reptivite..I was planning 2X a month with the calcium and D3 then the calcium without D3 2x a week and vitamins once a month
Watering- I've seen her drink twice but she is in my son's room where I don't see her all day. I have the Reptirain that is scheduled twice a day morning and evening and for a minute.
Fecal Description- she poops regularly and it's soft and wet but urate I haven't seen in two days attached with her poop. the other day I did find a white mucus clump on one leaf..dont know

Cage information
Cage type- the Screen enclosure we bought was recommended its the Reptibreeze 16x16
Lighting- Zilla Tropical 18inch and the Repti basking light. We have them on a 12-hour schedule which we turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7 pm. no lighting at night
Temperature- During the day the basking temp is usually 85-90F and the cooling is 72-75F overnight over 67F usually
Humidity- her lower humidity is 40% and upper says 50% and I measure these with two different humidity gauges
Plants- she has two Pothos plants in there and fake ones too
Placement- she is located in my son's room next to the window but doesn't get direct sun, near vent but it's closed and no fans on. No one really enters my son's room we try not to scare her.

Current Problem- she has a respiratory infection and I just want to make sure we are doing all that we can to make sure she recovers and has a happy life. she is now part of the family and we care for her as one. I want to make sure her overall health is great and that I'm doing everything I am supposed to do correctly. She is prescribed Baytril and we are having a hard time giving it to her...she refuses to open her mouth. Anything is helpful. I know of someone that has two chameleons but they are unreliable when it comes to keeping in touch so I was so happy to have found this site. Thanks again for your time!!!!!!
Can you please post pictures of the entire enclosure lights down for me please. Also pictures of your chameleon.

@ShadowsHealth See my feedback in red bold. We really need pictures of the enclosure lights down and of your chameleon.

Chameleon- veiled chameleon the store I bought from said female and shes young..but don't know the age.. Take pics of the back of the back feet so we can tell gender.
Feeding- I'm feeding her crickets and mealworms but she doesn't like them. I was told to feed her 10-12 a day in two feeding sessions. I gut load them with greens and calcium with D3 once so far. I've only had her two weeks now... Mealworms are a no no because they are not nutritional. Are the crickets size appropriate. Too large and they will not eat them.
Supplements- I have but haven't used them all yet but the Repti Calcium with AND without D3 and the Reptivite..I was planning 2X a month with the calcium and D3 then the calcium without D3 2x a week and vitamins once a month. So I need to know if your Reptivite is with D3 or Without d3. This will make a difference in supplementation. Baby should be getting calcium without D3 at almost every feeding. If you have the reptivite with D3 then this would only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. If you have the reptivite without D3 then you will rotate that week to week with the calcium with D3. So that each are only given 2 times a month. You will be lightly dusting no powdered donuts.
Watering- I've seen her drink twice but she is in my son's room where I don't see her all day. I have the Reptirain that is scheduled twice a day morning and evening and for a minute. You will want to add a dripper or start fogging at night potentially, 1 minute 2 times a day is not long at all for her to trigger to drink. You do not want to be misting during the day but since your reptirain will not let you mist longer then 1 minute your kinda stuck with the setting you have.
Fecal Description- she poops regularly and it's soft and wet but urate I haven't seen in two days attached with her poop. the other day I did find a white mucus clump on one leaf..dont know.. Take pics the next time mucous is not something we want to see if that in fact was what it was. Could be from the medication. Was a fecal done at the vet?

Cage information
Cage type- the Screen enclosure we bought was recommended its the Reptibreeze 16x16... This will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4.
Lighting- Zilla Tropical 18inch and the Repti basking light. We have them on a 12-hour schedule which we turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7 pm. no lighting at night... The Zilla is a T8 fixture. I need to know what the bulb strength is... Most have to be within inches of these bulbs to get UVB depending on bulb strength. I highly recommend you upgrade to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb for it. Then basking would be approximately 9 inches below with the fixture sitting directly on the cage top. 24 inch fixture would be recommended since you will need to upgrade the enclosure.
Temperature- During the day the basking temp is usually 85-90F and the cooling is 72-75F overnight over 67F usually Way too hot at basking. THis needs to be reduced to 80. You will want to either lift the basking fixture up off the top or get a lower wattage bulb.
Humidity- her lower humidity is 40% and upper says 50% and I measure these with two different humidity gauges 30-40% is ideal during the day. It can be up to 100% at night.
Plants- she has two Pothos plants in there and fake ones too.. Fake ones should be removed they eat their plants so fake are dangerous.

To give meds... http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Read through this husbandry program to learn quickly. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

@ShadowsHealth See my feedback in red bold. We really need pictures of the enclosure lights down and of your chameleon.

Chameleon- veiled chameleon the store I bought from said female and shes young..but don't know the age.. Take pics of the back of the back feet so we can tell gender.
Feeding- I'm feeding her crickets and mealworms but she doesn't like them. I was told to feed her 10-12 a day in two feeding sessions. I gut load them with greens and calcium with D3 once so far. I've only had her two weeks now... Mealworms are a no no because they are not nutritional. Are the crickets size appropriate. Too large and they will not eat them.
Supplements- I have but haven't used them all yet but the Repti Calcium with AND without D3 and the Reptivite..I was planning 2X a month with the calcium and D3 then the calcium without D3 2x a week and vitamins once a month. So I need to know if your Reptivite is with D3 or Without d3. This will make a difference in supplementation. Baby should be getting calcium without D3 at almost every feeding. If you have the reptivite with D3 then this would only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. If you have the reptivite without D3 then you will rotate that week to week with the calcium with D3. So that each are only given 2 times a month. You will be lightly dusting no powdered donuts.
Watering- I've seen her drink twice but she is in my son's room where I don't see her all day. I have the Reptirain that is scheduled twice a day morning and evening and for a minute. You will want to add a dripper or start fogging at night potentially, 1 minute 2 times a day is not long at all for her to trigger to drink. You do not want to be misting during the day but since your reptirain will not let you mist longer then 1 minute your kinda stuck with the setting you have.
Fecal Description- she poops regularly and it's soft and wet but urate I haven't seen in two days attached with her poop. the other day I did find a white mucus clump on one leaf..dont know.. Take pics the next time mucous is not something we want to see if that in fact was what it was. Could be from the medication. Was a fecal done at the vet?

Cage information
Cage type- the Screen enclosure we bought was recommended its the Reptibreeze 16x16... This will need to be upgraded to a 2x2x4.
Lighting- Zilla Tropical 18inch and the Repti basking light. We have them on a 12-hour schedule which we turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7 pm. no lighting at night... The Zilla is a T8 fixture. I need to know what the bulb strength is... Most have to be within inches of these bulbs to get UVB depending on bulb strength. I highly recommend you upgrade to a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb for it. Then basking would be approximately 9 inches below with the fixture sitting directly on the cage top. 24 inch fixture would be recommended since you will need to upgrade the enclosure.
Temperature- During the day the basking temp is usually 85-90F and the cooling is 72-75F overnight over 67F usually Way too hot at basking. THis needs to be reduced to 80. You will want to either lift the basking fixture up off the top or get a lower wattage bulb.
Humidity- her lower humidity is 40% and upper says 50% and I measure these with two different humidity gauges 30-40% is ideal during the day. It can be up to 100% at night.
Plants- she has two Pothos plants in there and fake ones too.. Fake ones should be removed they eat their plants so fake are dangerous.

To give meds... http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

Read through this husbandry program to learn quickly. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

www.dragonstrand.com

Thanks!! I will read everything you sent throughly and I will send pictures in the morning!! Thanks

Cage information

www.dragonstrand.com

Attachments

• 7E325B5F-E676-4E94-BAA1-45B849119CD0.jpeg
    7E325B5F-E676-4E94-BAA1-45B849119CD0.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 129
  • CCE450A2-C833-4790-A691-A8788D3F64D9.jpeg
    CCE450A2-C833-4790-A691-A8788D3F64D9.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 113
  • C9A4A04D-AE9C-4A13-8210-AFA3E5989A15.jpeg
    C9A4A04D-AE9C-4A13-8210-AFA3E5989A15.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 122
Can you show me a picture of your lighting on top as well? Looks like you are running a red bulb which should be swapped out for a white regular incandescent bulb 60watt. Red lights are bad for their eyes. Please check your UVB fixture and let me know what the bulb strength is for the T8. I can give you approximate distances for basking if I know exactly what your using.

The fog hose needs to be pulled up you want it going into the enclosure at the top and flowing down. Only run it at night when the lights are off and temps have dropped.

All moss needs to be removed. Veileds are like toddlers and everything goes in their mouth. Moss is an impaction risk. Additionally because of this you want to remove all fake plants from inside the enclosure. You can attach them to the outside so they still provide cover but you don't want the cham chewing on them.

With that pothos... It is great that you have a live plant but we want it to be higher in the enclosure. So if you take another pot and flip it upside down this should get you another 8 inches in height. Set the pothos plant on this.

I am not seeing any indication of a tarsal spur on the baby which means you do have a girl.
Females have to have a lay bin by the time they are 5-6 months old. They will lay infertile eggs. We keep females temps lower at about 79 and reduce feeding amounts more stricktly so that they have smaller clutches. The more eggs they lay the harder it is on them to bounce back.

So basically between 3-9 months you want to reduce to 5 feeders every other day. Then when she hits 9 months old you will cut back farther to 2-3 feeders. Different keepers of females do things differently. This is one way. So I suggest once we get your husbandry on point you start another thread about keeping a female. you can tag me and I will tag keepers of females to give you feedback on feeding and lay bins.

Can you show me a picture of your lighting on top as well? Looks like you are running a red bulb which should be swapped out for a white regular incandescent bulb 60watt. Red lights are bad for their eyes. Please check your UVB fixture and let me know what the bulb strength is for the T8. I can give you approximate distances for basking if I know exactly what your using.

The fog hose needs to be pulled up you want it going into the enclosure at the top and flowing down. Only run it at night when the lights are off and temps have dropped.

All moss needs to be removed. Veileds are like toddlers and everything goes in their mouth. Moss is an impaction risk. Additionally because of this you want to remove all fake plants from inside the enclosure. You can attach them to the outside so they still provide cover but you don't want the cham chewing on them.

With that pothos... It is great that you have a live plant but we want it to be higher in the enclosure. So if you take another pot and flip it upside down this should get you another 8 inches in height. Set the pothos plant on this.

I am not seeing any indication of a tarsal spur on the baby which means you do have a girl.
Females have to have a lay bin by the time they are 5-6 months old. They will lay infertile eggs. We keep females temps lower at about 79 and reduce feeding amounts more stricktly so that they have smaller clutches. The more eggs they lay the harder it is on them to bounce back.

So basically between 3-9 months you want to reduce to 5 feeders every other day. Then when she hits 9 months old you will cut back farther to 2-3 feeders. Different keepers of females do things differently. This is one way. So I suggest once we get your husbandry on point you start another thread about keeping a female. you can tag me and I will tag keepers of females to give you feedback on feeding and lay bins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 100
@Beman i hope this is the picture you wanted as for the uvb I don’t remember what it is but will look for it and I will ABSOLUTELY be switching out the red light!! I’m so glad I’m getting some actual help. Thanks

@Beman i hope this is the picture you wanted as for the uvb I don’t remember what it is but will look for it and I will ABSOLUTELY be switching out the red light!! I’m so glad I’m getting some actual help. Thanks
ok perfect so that looks right. I just want to advice you lift the heat fixture up off the top a few inches and replace with the regular 60 watt incandescent bulb.

Exo terra light bracket can be useful is you want to mount the heat lamp higher. You can drill through the mounting plate that comes with it and use 1/4 inch screws to attach it.

And I think I already gave you this link but if you want to learn fast and learn correct info this would be the husbandry program I would read through. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom