Rescued chameleon gender?

Chamy124

Recently rescued a veiled chameleon that was not very well looked after, not sure that he’s ever had a uvb light and kept in a small enclosure
Have just broke the bank and sorted him a new enclosure with required lights,space ect

Was told this chameleon is a 3 year old male but from hours of watching videos/research
(Had no knowledge of chameleons before a few weeks ago) I’m starting to think the chameleon has more visual traits of a female veiled as it is smaller and has a smaller horn/veil
Also colouring seems to be more to that of a female as seen they are not as bright as males

Not sure if these differences are because of gender or growth stumps because of lack of care/uvb

have attached photos if people can help with gender

Attachments

• 6C31A3B7-091E-42AF-92C6-798CFC3FDA0F.jpeg
    6C31A3B7-091E-42AF-92C6-798CFC3FDA0F.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 1CC1C12F-C5A0-451C-B752-9F631DF88F59.jpeg
    1CC1C12F-C5A0-451C-B752-9F631DF88F59.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 117
  • FD36DB1F-0CA2-4C01-A07D-053879E5D2B4.jpeg
    FD36DB1F-0CA2-4C01-A07D-053879E5D2B4.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 5F1FC011-BAC1-497F-BFD8-A67B22DD411F.png
    5F1FC011-BAC1-497F-BFD8-A67B22DD411F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
Can you please post some photos of the back of the feet, so we can see the tarsal spurs/lack of them? Looks female, but I’m not sure without spurs.

C8E9E45B-D62F-451B-B9B6-8FDFC96435B0.jpeg
Hi this is unfortunately the best picture I can get as trying not to disturb as moved enclosure yesterday, thanks for your help

Wouldn't the cham have produced eggs by 3 yrs old if it was a she? 🤔
unfortunately we have been given been given very little information on its background,
From the condition we received the Cham in, it was clearly neglected/previous owner paid no attention so this could well be the case and gone unnoticed

Okay Thankyou, not as of yet as we were told by previous owner that she is male 🤦‍♂️ will search a thread and do my research for laying now
Yeah I’m not sure but she has a big stomach. You can research the threads here about making the laybin I dont have the link of it sorry.. wish you luck!

I second a visit to the vet for a wellness check, the rib bumps, bowed legs jaw shape looks to be some degree of m.b.d to me.
Is she eating& are you giving supplements ?

I second a visit to the vet for a wellness check, the rib bumps, bowed legs jaw shape looks to be some degree of m.b.d to me.
Is she eating& are you giving supplements ?
She has been eating plenty and have been giving calcium powder on wax worms and gut loading crickets, as I said only got her a couple days ago but 3 years of neglect have not been nice to her but we’re gunna do our best for her

She has been eating plenty and have been giving calcium powder on wax worms and gut loading crickets, as I said only got her a couple days ago but 3 years of neglect have not been nice to her but we’re gunna do our best for her
Dont feed wax worms they are really low in nutrition. Feed dubias, hornworms, superworms, silkworms, crikcets, locusts, red runner roaches..

What type of calcium powder ? With or without d3?

Ok plain calcium is good to start with because you dont know what the supplement history is if any then look into a supplement regime suited to your t5ho lighting

This is a female that is overweight. But also she has Edema... I do not like the look of her limbs either I can not tell if they are swollen or just that fat.

Can you please give specifics on the supplements your using and how often? Post pics of the ones your using. The edema is from incorrect supplementation. Edema is the swelling below her neck and around the neck.

I would get a lay bin IN her cage ASAP...here's how to set one up....

As @Beman said, she does have edema...could be a number of reasons why.

She also has bumps on her ribs....maybe calcium buildup from improper supplementing.

I'm hoping she has no reproductive issues. Do you know if she ever laid eggs or when the las time she laid eggs was?

Recently rescued a veiled chameleon that was not very well looked after, not sure that he’s ever had a uvb light and kept in a small enclosure
Have just broke the bank and sorted him a new enclosure with required lights,space ect

Was told this chameleon is a 3 year old male but from hours of watching videos/research
(Had no knowledge of chameleons before a few weeks ago) I’m starting to think the chameleon has more visual traits of a female veiled as it is smaller and has a smaller horn/veil
Also colouring seems to be more to that of a female as seen they are not as bright as males

Not sure if these differences are because of gender or growth stumps because of lack of care/uvb

have attached photos if people can help with gender
No fake plants for veileds, definitely go to the vet! You don’t want the basking bulb inside the enclosure, you can use a dome fixture and place it above. You need to set up a laying bin as well, she looks very obese, and she doesn’t appear to be very healthy. Read through this entire link and go through the website as well! https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
Could you please fill this out!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom