Rescue panther chameleon

Hello everyone this is my first time posting on here, recently i rescued a supposedly ambanja panther cham from someone who was providing atrocious care for him/her and ive been troubled with determining his/her sex.
The women i got him/her from said she purchased this cham from Lll reptile as a male adult however this cham is not displaying male colors or showing signs of hemipenes. I have a adult male ambilobe whos doing amazing however i never have owned a female and i do know they need a lay box/can have egg laying complications so if someone with experience in female panther chams could chime in that would be awesome thanks again for reading! Looking forward to chatting with all the amazing people on here
Pictures of him/her
Sadly this lil lady/guys previous owner had a 100 watt intense basking bulb right on her back so she came home with me missing almost all her back spines aswell as a the entire ridge above her left eye which i assume was from the light aswell so please dont think this was my doing!! I truly do care about my husbandry being on point and want to turn this lil chams life around
06C7739C-0AEE-4126-92F4-8B3304DDD8BD.jpeg
84CA9D81-2C01-404D-B5FD-4D62C33E1791.jpeg

100% male. Just from the rostral protrusions alone.
Please fill this out so we can check your husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Since the cham is from LLL Reptile, finding an exotics vet with reputable chameleon experience to test a fecal sample and x-rays, along with a general wellness check, will be needed, as well (LLL has a reputation of selling sick animals).

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

ambanja panther chameleon, male, was told it is 1-2 years old however hes much smaller than my 1.5 year old male, i have had the chameleon two days.
i do not handle my chameleons
picked the chameleon up knowing it had eating issues and has only eaten 1 dubia in past two days however i feed my other cham dubias, hornworms, crickets, and calcium worms if hes interested in them
my schedule for feeding is monday wednesday friday sunday, gutloading with bell peppers lettuce and basil,
supplements i used repcal calcium w no d3 every feeding except every sunday of the month where i do calcium w d3 two sundays and reptivite w no d3 one sunday and herptivite one sunday, my thinking in having rep and herptivite is he can get some preformed vit A and not just beta carotene,
mistking system goes off 4 times a day for 45 seconds each, never seen this cham drink
feces looked hydrated but very very small, urates were totally white no orange,
the women who owned him prior to me said she had him into vet twice for testing however i think she was feedin me a line of sh!t.
previous info from old owner is he does not like to eat thats all she really said, sadly she seemed rly uneducated on chams, i also know she burnt his back all up as she had intense basking bulb not even 4 inches from basking spot

18-18-36 screen cage, yes i know this is in need of upgrade but its all i had on hand and the cage she provided for him was all torn up and very gross
75 watt zoo med heat bulb, paired with reptisun 5.0 linear tube ( replacing w arcadia 6% otw) schedule is 7-7
temp range is 85-70, lowest temps at night would be high very high 60s usually 70 or so though measured through a digital temp and humidity gauge
humidity is measured the same way and is 50% thru the day spiking to 70/80 briefly after mistings from mistking , i have 2 pothos plants in the cage, more live plants otw!
his cage is in my bedroom and i have my ceiling fan on low occasionally if im too hot in there
cage height is 6 foot at the top
im located in san diego california

the problems im having with this guy is he has no interest in food and is very skinny ( got him like that) my goal is to give him the life he deserves, if you see anything wrong with my husbandry please let me know!!!

putting_me_on_glasses, ive never heard that term in regards to a cham, what exactly are rostral protrusions?

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

sorry i am new to this, i filled out the care form above without replying to ya!

Since the cham is from LLL Reptile, finding an exotics vet with reputable chameleon experience to test a fecal sample and x-rays, along with a general wellness check, will be needed, as well (LLL has a reputation of selling sick animals).
agreed ill get him into a vet ASAP, such a shame LLL sells sick animals to inexperienced ppl, my first baby panther came from them and i was so darn excited that i didnt do a thorough exam of him in the store, long story short after 3 days of having him under my care and observing i determined the little baby had a big respiratory infection, sneezing green boogies and holding his head up to the sky, andd back to the store he went, felt like a horrible person but i did not want a sick cham right out of the gate

Sorry for the late response! Your care appears to be in order, and rostral projections refers to the crests around his nose.

Sorry for the late response! Your care appears to be in order, and rostral projections refers to the crests around his nose.
All good!! Learn something new every day on here haha. So ive become a bit worried with him not wanting to eat at all/being so skinny, are there any apparent reasons for this?, could this be the results of a parasite?

Possibly. A vet visit would probably be best to check their overall health.
Yes, i have a visit scheduled for later this week, sadly its the soonest appt available..
Ive been freaking out though reading about all the parasites and infections that can cause lethargy and im just praying he didn’t come with coccidia😥😥, do you know if coccidia is commonly seen on here??

Personally, I have no experience with coccidia and do not know its frequency. The best option would probably be to search coccidia on the forums while you wait for the vet.

Hi and welcome. Do you have him in the same room as your other cham/s. I considered getting a second cham earlier in the year and the good members pointed out to me ,best keep new additions away from existing pets until fecals have been done and the new pet has been given a clean bill of health. Coccidia from what little I've seen can be a nightmare. So making sure what you are using between your chams there is no cross contamination ( you probably know this already but it would be complecent of me not to mention 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210115-215443_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 83
Personally, I have no experience with coccidia and do not know its frequency. The best option would probably be to search coccidia on the forums while you wait for the vet.
I have been following bemans nightmare journey with coccida and at this point im terrified im gonna have to deal with ripping everything out and trashing it ive spent so much time and put so much love and money into my cham
Hi and welcome. Do you have him in the same room as your other cham/s. I considered getting a second cham earlier in the year and the good members pointed out to me ,best keep new additions away from existing pets until fecals have been done and the new pet has been given a clean bill of health. Coccidia from what little I've seen can be a nightmare. So making sure what you are using between your chams there is no cross contamination ( you probably know this already but it would be complecent of me not to mention 😉
unfortunately they are in the same room since i became suspicious though i have used gloves inbetween maintenance on either cage and thrown them out after however if hes sick hes sick, im totally bummin i have a feeling i just ruined the hobby for myself having said the only thing that kills it efficiently is literal mustard gas… feel like such a idiot and i cant get into the vet for a whole nother week!! He only comes in monday tuesday but there is no point going tomorrow as hes not pooping ☹️

I have been following bemans nightmare journey with coccida and at this point im terrified im gonna have to deal with ripping everything out and trashing it ive spent so much time and put so much love and money into my cham

unfortunately they are in the same room since i became suspicious though i have used gloves inbetween maintenance on either cage and thrown them out after however if hes sick hes sick, im totally bummin i have a feeling i just ruined the hobby for myself having said the only thing that kills it efficiently is literal mustard gas… feel like such a idiot and i cant get into the vet for a whole nother week!! He only comes in monday tuesday but there is no point going tomorrow as hes not pooping ☹️
Hang in there and wait for the facts. Good luck with the visit!

Back
Top Bottom