Rescue chameleon need help!

Grandsouls

Hello all Iv just joined this forum to look for advice! I kept reptiles monitors iguanas etc my whole life. Had got out of the hobby for quite some time.

Anywho..
I was at the store the other day and fell in love with a chameleon upon further discussion I found the store had no clue what they where doing ( not that I’m an expert but certainly more knowledgeable then them apparently )

He was kept in a cage lots of fake plant and vine which is good but only one uvb bulb quite far away from any basking areas. They had a fogger but no mister or dropper.
The chameleon looks like he has beginning stage of mbd or gout im not 100% regards I fell in love and decided I need to take him and get him in proper health.
I will be working on a wood an mesh cage very shortly I’m just short on some supplies for him.
So I guess my question being ! What is exactly wrong with him how should I go about fixing him diet etc...
right now he’s in a glass tank I had with a open top ( closed off in a plant / spare room I have ) has a heat admitter and a spiral UV light an a spiral UVB light
His cage has huge pothos plant bamboo and a spider plant along with different array of twig an branch to climb and bask on. Along with a make shift dripper above the tank that drops one drop every 5-10 seconds.
He eats fairly well, tongue seems to extend fully and he still climbs fine. Walking on flat surface his problems show though!
So here are some pictures. Sorry for long rant just wanted to shove all info I could. Oh and I’m dusting with calcium and plan on dusting with d3 every 2 weeks.
Thanks all in advance! Unfortunately this is one species I never had pleasure to work with however I could not let him suffer any longer!
8BA2AD08-DA47-403E-B575-7D35D73C1908.jpeg
AB94ACD9-EBA2-40BD-A20E-20BD7F8989A5.jpeg
85DE0804-A1C2-496A-8249-9FFBC5E66F1B.jpeg
0DB82C1A-040F-4689-A0F4-507FAD027D1E.jpeg
B6725D80-7719-4A9A-B816-B907FC1CCB61.jpeg

Last edited:
I also had the thought perhaps his legs broke? They where plenty ruff and not careful when grabbing him he fell twice just in those moments so that’s possible too.

unfortunately to say your guy has mbd get him to a vet asap, mine is also a rescue so I understand where your coming from fill out the how to ask for help form In my signature so we can help your husbandry and basic care

unfortunately to say your guy has mbd get him to a vet asap, mine is also a rescue so I understand where your coming from fill out the how to ask for help form In my signature so we can help your husbandry and basic care
I assumed such.

Unfortunately I’m struggling to find a vet that is not hours and hours away that do exotics.

Everything I have done seem ok?

for starters you will need a 2x2x4 mesh enclosure, supplement calcium no d3 every feeding, d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month, get a hand or automatic mister and dripper (optional for the dripper) mist 2 mins each time 3 times a day, he will need a linear uvb 5.0 for now when he is in a bigger cage and an adult he will nees a 10.0, feed him crickets dubia roaches hornworms silkworms bsfl and orange head roaches for starters don't handle much unless he willingly wants it, and I would read the care sheet under the resources tab and make sure you know all there is to know there, best of luck to you and your boy

for starters you will need a 2x2x4 mesh enclosure, supplement calcium no d3 every feeding, d3 twice a month and multivitamin twice a month, get a hand or automatic mister and dripper (optional for the dripper) mist 2 mins each time 3 times a day, he will need a linear uvb 5.0 for now when he is in a bigger cage and an adult he will nees a 10.0, feed him crickets dubia roaches hornworms silkworms bsfl and orange head roaches for starters don't handle much unless he willingly wants it, and I would read the care sheet under the resources tab and make sure you know all there is to know there, best of luck to you and your boy
Thank you!

I plan on building him mesh cage shortly!
I have dripper on him over all foliage
And praying him. Have the lights etc and calcium like I stated already..
Besides the actual cage is there anything else needed to help him out
Also roaches illegal here, crickets, mealworms, hornworms, wax worms all I can get

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

please copy paste and fill out this form it will help us help you with your husbandry and care as for now you're doing great!

Thank you everyone’! I will make this chameleon better fix others mistakes !
Not been the first time Iv rescued reptile I’m sure it won’t be the last

His new cage is under construction !

He is in the later stages of MBD, not early.He has several broken bone, some of his legs are broken in multiple places. Rear right looks particularly bad. If he were mine I’d be giving him liquid calcium.

I found this graphic interesting:

Liquid calcium like from the drug store sorry???..

So just a quick note... Veileds will eat the dirt. This can cause impaction. You should put 1 inch or bigger river rock in the top of that planter. I can't tell if you have dirt in the bottom of the temporary home as well.

So just a quick note... Veileds will eat the dirt. This can cause impaction. You should put 1 inch or bigger river rock in the top of that planter. I can't tell if you have dirt in the bottom of the temporary home as well.

K thank you. Will do

Should i keep her in a tub for now no climbing since she broke bones?
Just tub an give liquid calcium

K thank you. Will do

Should i keep her in a tub for now no climbing since she broke bones?
Just tub an give liquid calcium
Yes, he needs a hospital bin setup until he is more sure-footed.

Not my bin but an example of what your shooting for. Monitor temps closely when he’s in there, hospital bins tend to overheat easily. Make sure he has a hide to escape the heat.
11A97F1D-7C94-4AC5-9E87-5DE69AD0FE5B.png

Bin is set up lights set up basking temps and ambient temps are perfect got dripper etc.
Ate a lot of gut loaded crickets he’s hunting well still so that is excellent an drinking well. His tongue is very long and functional still so that is excellent.
Will be buying liquid calcium tonight for him will be dosing him with that starting tomorrow
In the healing process will be building his permanent enclosure and tweaking it perfect for him to live a long healthy life.

Thanks everyone! I have faith!

Bin is set up lights set up basking temps and ambient temps are perfect got dripper etc.
Ate a lot of gut loaded crickets he’s hunting well still so that is excellent an drinking well. His tongue is very long and functional still so that is excellent.
Will be buying liquid calcium tonight for him will be dosing him with that starting tomorrow
In the healing process will be building his permanent enclosure and tweaking it perfect for him to live a long healthy life.

Thanks everyone! I have faith!
Mind posting a pic so when some newby finds this thread years from now they will have a picture to reference?

Mind posting a pic so when some newby finds this thread years from now they will have a picture to reference?

Sorry took so long

So I got a make shift dripper attatched to ceiling made of milk jug, that feeds drops of calcium water 24-7 dripping over fulliage over top of her water dish, also beside the heater which creates nice humid environment.

I have holes drilled in bottom of tub so and excess water from spraying is instantly drained and dried out to avoid any problems with mildew or fungus.

She also has a small fan running few feet from her tank to increase air flow toward and in her tub.

Simple mesh screen used for top.

I have simple wooden dowels places throughout the tub along with a pothos plant with lots of large rocks to avoid any dirt eating.

She’s fed a hearty diet of horn worms and wax worms and and crickets. Iv also poked hole into horn worm to deposit drop of liquid calcium to ensure she’s receiving proper calcium.

(although she seems to figured out the dripper very well, also noted the water I spray her to give drink also has solution in it. )

She has two brand new uvb bulbs over her as well ceramic heater.

Her baskin spot is at 92 degrees and warm side 82-84 degrees, cool side sits about 72-74 degrees

I think that covers mostly everything...
ED301B62-7A86-49C0-A88D-8C9FF9E0D307.jpeg
DFE5458A-6E87-444E-8129-946C2050AA1C.jpeg
6423DD8D-C693-4071-97C4-DE1A6F221493.jpeg

I was thinking of administering drops of liquid calcium into mouth by dropper but she has good appetite and drinks from the drip
82125208-1493-4E9E-8FAA-13D6B913DC4F.jpeg
92769BE1-9A1D-4241-B8BA-B4E7BAE3134C.jpeg

If anyone sees something I should change I’m open to all advice.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom