Rescue advice! help!

viaje

Last week I visited a store I had never been to, and immediately found a female veiled in terrible condition. I watched her for a while and decided quickly that she couldn't survive in her cage. The owner of the store was a nice, easygoing, and understanding guy who agreed with me that he couldn't care for her and said that he'd like to see her go to someone who could care for her, I'm picking her up tomorrow.

NOTE: I am NOT paying for her!

She was being caged in a glass setup, on sand, with a piece of driftwood (it looked like it had been a leopard gecko cage that she ended up in) she was walking around on the floor of the cage, clawing at the glass, but the extent of her dehydration was to the point that she wouldn't (or couldn't?) open her eyes. Because she's on sand and her eyes look so bad, I suspect that she has sand in them and may suffer from permanent eye damage. The owner said she just layed a small clutch of eggs in her cage.

I completely expect to have to help her eat, and I plan to shower her in addition to misting, to hydrate her.
Can anyone give me any good suggestions? Although I've kept many chameleons... I've never had to help one this sick.
I'll post pictures when I get her.

(as far as the store carrying the chameleons, he doesn't plan to and kind of had never planned to- this girl was a special order for someone who didn't pick her up, so I'm happy about that.)

try this

Here goes, I am NOT an expert, this recipe came from a link off here. It can be shared but never sold or used comerially.

Bug Juice Recipe
Created by Susan James and approved by Ken Lopez, DVM
Crushed or blended insects
Add only enough of the below ingredients to liquefy the crushed insects enough to draw into a syringe:
Ensure Plus
Pedialyte
Raw egg yolk
Refrigerate remaining bug juice fior no more than 48 hours. Discard if not used within two days.

I have also used a high calorie paste make for dogs & cats but you have to cut it with hot water to get it to go into the sringe. I buy very small sringes, with no needles, from the cattle supply place and feed my chameleons medications with that.

You shouls also get it to the vet ASAP along with a fecal sample to check for parasites. Last time I took a veiled form a pet store to try and save all I did was bring it home to die so be ready for disappointment. Good luck.

I have used Pedialyte when a vet overdosed a mormaset monkey of mine. Plus on baby macaws and other parrots. It will take a animal that you think you have lost and give it another chance. good luck on your efforts

If you can get her to a vet some subq fluids (i.e. given under her skin so she doesn't have to open her mouth etc.) would probably go a very very long way.

Thank you all so much, unfortunately as far as vets go... I can't really find a single reptile vet (especially chameleons) anywhere near here, I believe the closest is nearly two hours away, and the weather has been around 10 below here in minnesota... would you still recommend a visit with a long car ride in those temps?

I have used critical care in the past. You mix it with water just enough to pull into a syringe. They make two kinds: herbivore and carnivore. You can get it from a vet. I am not sure if you need a prescription for it or not. I purchased mine after I had my cham at the vet.

Try calling a local vet and ask for critical care or something that is for animals that are emaciated.

Thanks again for everyone help! I'll be posting pictures of her condition later and I just wanted to let everyone know that although she hasn't opened her eyes yet, she's been drinking like a pro! I haven't had to force any fluids on her. But, I haven't gotten her to open her mouth to feed her, any tips?
Merry christmas everyone!

What brand and type (linear/long tube or spiral/compact/screw-in?) of UVB light was on her cage?

How old is she? Can you post a picture?

When her mouth is open while she is drinking you can try putting an insect between her teeth so she will chew on it.

She really needs to go to a vets.

What brand and type (linear/long tube or spiral/compact/screw-in?) of UVB light was on her cage?

When her mouth is open while she is drinking you can try putting an insect between her teeth so she will chew on it.

I didn't even think about the lighting being an issue:eek:

I believe she didn't have UVB at the time, he only had her for a month... the UVB I'm using is a 24" tube.

He told me she was about 9-12 months and I agree, my computer is being weird so I'm still working on getting a picture up...

I can try getting her to eat that way.

I spoke to someone I know who breeds veileds and lives here in MN, he agreed with me that it would be a bad idea to drive her the distance (several hours) to get her to a good vet in this weather (well below zero daily) if anyone disagrees... let me know.

Good luck!

I believe she didn't have UVB at the time, he only had her for a month... the UVB I'm using is a 24" tube.

He told me she was about 9-12 months and I agree, my computer is being weird so I'm still working on getting a picture up...

I can try getting her to eat that way.

I spoke to someone I know who breeds veileds and lives here in MN, he agreed with me that it would be a bad idea to drive her the distance (several hours) to get her to a good vet in this weather (well below zero daily) if anyone disagrees... let me know.

If you package her up well and keep the engine in your car running you should be good. Chams sleep when the lights go out.... so boxing her up and blocking out the lights will cause her to sleep. I use a petco box with some bamboo glued in place for the cham to hold on and balance. If you put some news paper shreds in, place her on the bamboo and put more paper around her to help insulate the box and again, keep her in warm places, she should be ok. Now is her health good enough to be moved around, I can't make that call. If you think getting her to the vet will save her then it is worth the trip.

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8976.jpg

Viaje
We at www.chameleonsnorthwest.com do a lot of rescues; panthers, veileds, mellers. And since we started using Reptaid on our rescues we have seen almost miraculous results. It is an all herbal supplement which greatly boosts the immune system and helps rid the reptiles of all infections and parasites. Almost immediately they have an appetite and more enerygy. All in one bottle. I know it sounds too good to be true. But I encourage you to read the thread on this forum under classsifieds, Miscellaneous for Sale. And read the testimonials on our website as well.
If we can answer any specific questions, don't hesitate to PM or call anytime
Elliot

Back
Top Bottom