Reptilian Nation Expo

summerseeking

Avid Member
I went to my first expo today, Reptilian Nation Expo in Sacramento, and..........it was meh. I'm not sure what the deal was but there seemed to be A LOT of vendors not there according to the vendor list. One vendor was keeping Chams in ridiculously small containers....on bark!! I overheard another one overplaying how much you can handle chams, to make them sound more desirable to a dad and is little girl. There were awesome spots tho! I was able to get tips on how to better care for my silkworms, saw some of the most lovely geckos I've ever seen, and chatted with a few cool folks. We are supposed to drive out and go again tomorrow but it may not be worth it, still deciding.

IMG_7971.JPG

That's just plain wrong. I would think any responsible vendor with half a brain would know this.😠
Another example of "its all about the money"
My thoughts exactly! They also had babies in screen enclosures without lights, no way to regulate humidity, they are likely going to be in those conditions all weekend. The other Cham vendors were MUCH more responsible in terms of the conditions the Chams are being kept in.

Not all shows—or vendors—are the same, and I think it's good that you got some exposure to some of the good, the bad, and the ugly. A microcosm of the reptile trade.

I expect some of the poor vendor turnout may be post-COVID, but IME, there are usually no-shows along with last-minutes who weren't on the list.

Seeing how various breeders/vendors treat the animals is one reason I like to go. I have "Santa Lists" of good & bad; one to consider, and one to avoid.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/2021-daytona-reptile-expo.183011/#post-1671971
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/2021-daytona-reptile-expo.183011/#post-1672059

That's just terrible. Makes you want to just buy them all just to free them
I understand that feeling, but IMO it could result in mistreatment of more animals in the long run rather than less. Those who are "all about the money" are looking for a return on their investment. If they get it, they will believe what they are doing is correct/successful, and will continue to do the same in the future. Those who don't get a return—or are deprived of it—will discontinue (find something else) or change their ways.

I went to my first expo today, Reptilian Nation Expo in Sacramento, and..........it was meh. I'm not sure what the deal was but there seemed to be A LOT of vendors not there according to the vendor list. One vendor was keeping Chams in ridiculously small containers....on bark!! I overheard another one overplaying how much you can handle chams, to make them sound more desirable to a dad and is little girl. There were awesome spots tho! I was able to get tips on how to better care for my silkworms, saw some of the most lovely geckos I've ever seen, and chatted with a few cool folks. We are supposed to drive out and go again tomorrow but it may not be worth it, still deciding.

View attachment 303874
Who were these vendors? Like to put them on the naughty list.😨

Back
Top Bottom