Reptile first aid kit

Just want to hear from the people who keep a reptile first aid kit- what do you have in it?

Mine :

3M vetrap tape
Nolvasan
Neo poly bac ointment
Silvadene cream
Mineral oil
Saline solution
Magnifying glass
Sterile q tips
Pedialyte
Rubber gloves ( POWDER FREE) - rensow brand

THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUE FOR A VET!
I will ONLY use them for minor issues or if there comes a time when I can not get to the vet fast enough, or for upkeep after a vet trip.
- I have not had eye issues with my boys but I do not condone home treatment for any eye issues.

This is just a safety precaution everyone should take into considertion.

Quite a few items on your list are only available on prescription in uk. Fortunately I was able to buy them over the counter in Mexico last year but don't know what I will do once they reach their sell by date.:(

VETERICYN_Wound_ALL_16oz.jpg

This stuff is great and very safe also a veterinary strength that your vet can order.

What all are looking for? There are more than likely alternatives

We can't get Neosporin or polysporin as they contain antibiotics. Vet checked and there is a similar product licensed for animals but as an eye preparation. Flamazine, I think you call it silvadine is also px only.i have managed to collect them when on vacation. I have also used them successfully and would agree they are a must for a first aid kit.:)

We can't get Neosporin or polysporin as they contain antibiotics. Vet checked and there is a similar product licensed for animals but as an eye preparation. Flamazine, I think you call it silvadine is also px only.i have managed to collect them when on vacation. I have also used them successfully and would agree they are a must for a first aid kit.:)

Oh Man.. I couldn't imagine not having those items around!

Nesosporin (or similar)
Terramicina
Saline
Lamisil
Fenbendazole
Metoclopramide (this needs a prescription, so store it if you get it)
Nolvasan (you can get it from here http://www.amazon.com/Fort-Dodge-Nol.../dp/B0002XJ178)
Epsom Salt
KY
Vaseline
Alcohol (of course)
Calcium & Vitamin (liquid form)
Q-tips
Syringe
Needles
Pointed Tweezers
Cotton balls

One last thing to note is that I always keep one nail long enough to pry a chameleons mouth open. Force feeding is a last resort, but it is necessary in some cases. Your nail is much softer than using any tool. (Sounds silly, but you would be surprised how this has helped me with all of my cold blooded and diminutive friends)

I check my stash of first aid loot every so often, and I replenish as needed.

One last thing to note is that I always keep one nail long enough to pry a chameleons mouth open. Force feeding is a last resort, but it is necessary in some cases. Your nail is much softer than using any tool.

I don't use a nail if I need to check their mouths, my boys are well behaved and will let me gently pull on the flap of skin under their neck and they open their mouth. If not I can run a wet qtip on their lips and they will try to lick it and when they do I can look then- it's much easier on them then "prying " their mouths open.

One last thing to note is that I always keep one nail long enough to pry a chameleons mouth open. Force feeding is a last resort, but it is necessary in some cases. Your nail is much softer than using any tool.

I don't use a nail if I need to check their mouths, my boys are well behaved and will let me gently pull on the flap of skin under their neck and they open their mouth. If not I can run a wet qtip on their lips and they will try to lick it and when they do I can look then- it's much easier on them then "prying " their mouths open.

No, no... Not to check their mouth, but to force it open when they are sick, haha. My friend brought me a dying B. Dragon once, It was malnourished and did not want to accept food. He would clench his mouth despite his sick appearance. When he got to the point of no return and a vet advised him to euthanize, I suggested a different route. I force fed this dying B. Dragon for 3 straight weeks, waxworms, crickets, dubia, etc. It eventually gained enough strength to eat on its own and despite having seriously bad MBD, it recovered. Oh well, I kind of ran with my story, sorry OP.

Oh Man.. I couldn't imagine not having those items around!

All antibiotics are regulated in UK and are prescription only:( . There are one or two eye drops we can buy over the counter but chemist has to see complaint first. I think Neosporin can be got in tattoo parlours but it comes from the states.

No, no... Not to check their mouth, but to force it open when they are sick, haha. My friend brought me a dying B. Dragon once, It was malnourished and did not want to accept food. He would clench his mouth despite his sick appearance. When he got to the point of no return and a vet advised him to euthanize, I suggested a different route. I force fed this dying B. Dragon for 3 straight weeks, waxworms, crickets, dubia, etc. It eventually gained enough strength to eat on its own and despite having seriously bad MBD, it recovered. Oh well, I kind of ran with my story, sorry OP.

I've had to give my chameleon liquid oral medication ... AND thats why you don't buy from shiesty pet stores kids!!!
but i also do my cham look over every 3 days, which includes checking inside their mouths for any abnormalities.

as for antibiotics being scrip only- is it illegal to buy the online?

I've had to give my chameleon liquid oral medication ... AND thats why you don't buy from shiesty pet stores kids!!!
but i also do my cham look over every 3 days, which includes checking inside their mouths for any abnormalities.

as for antibiotics being scrip only- is it illegal to buy the online?

Haha, look for livestock antibiotics. No, its not illegal. Easy to find broad spectrum antibiotics can be found in most fish stores. Tetracycline comes to mind. They come in gel, powders, and tablets. Some states may have certain restrictions, but for the most part it's all easily available. You may be familiar with Amoxicillin, or Cephalexin... Your PC might give those to you when you have a throat infection. Haha, most of this stuff is legal...For your pets of course. Its pretty much the same things you find at your local pharmacy with that special prescription signature. Some places will deny sales to people without Rx, but there are plenty of places that do not require it. It's for your pets...right?

poker_face_poster-r173ca29e43364f8491bec0ed974c2994_wvg_8byvr_512.jpg

YES.

Haha, look for livestock antibiotics. No, its not illegal. Easy to find broad spectrum antibiotics can be found in most fish stores. Tetracycline comes to mind. They come in gel, powders, and tablets. Some states may have certain restrictions, but for the most part it's all easily available. You may be familiar with Amoxicillin, or Cephalexin... Your PC might give those to you when you have a throat infection. Haha, most of this stuff is legal...For your pets of course. Its pretty much the same things you find at your local pharmacy with that special prescription signature. Some places will deny sales to people without Rx, but there are plenty of places that do not require it. It's for your pets...right?

Everything you just said is wrong. As someone training to be a physician I would think that you would be a proponent of appropriate and legal use of antibiotics. Especially considering the epidemic of antibiotic resistance that is developing, most of which could be helped by using antibiotics judiciously. And you did not mention anything about the different bacterial spectrum of antibiotics that should be taken into account to appropriately treat an infection correctly. This is important in both animals and humans. A prescription is needed for animals just as much as for people. Just because you may find them online does not make it legal or correct.

You may have posted this as a joke (I sure hope so), but people may not realize that reading it quickly.

I was referring to an earlier post of someone outside of the us who is not able to get supplies like Americans can

Something i have learned.

1. One thing to take into consideration is the expiration of what you keep on hand. If the product "lets say" you are just buying for just in case measures has a (year) shelf life and you end up needing it when the animal is 2 years...It looks like your going to the store anyways right??

2. Buy small amounts. Go big or go home in this situation is a waste of money.

I was referring to an earlier post of someone outside of the us who is not able to get supplies like Americans can[/QUOTE]

Thank you for actually reading what I wrote. For those who didn't read it ,No you cannot buy antibiotics on line in uk. Ferret has explained why. Although it can be inconvenient sometimes our health system is very different to US. Because in Scotland px are free, so is your consults to doctors there is no need to buy over the counter. As a health professional I see on a regular basis what abusing antibiotics can do.

Something i have learned.

1. One thing to take into consideration is the expiration of what you keep on hand. If the product "lets say" you are just buying for just in case measures has a (year) shelf life and you end up needing it when the animal is 2 years...It looks like your going to the store anyways right??

2. Buy small amounts. Go big or go home in this situation is a waste of money.

Yes this is also another thing to watch. Also read the directions on how something should be stored. Such as in the fridge, at room temp etc. because even if it isn't expired this will ruin the product and it will need to be thrown away.

Back
Top Bottom