Reptile expo pick up=Jackson

Chameleonkid

Here is a video of the event I got a interview from www.Screameleons.com thinking of you guys!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trQ1q4bZk14

I got my first chameleon at the LI expo it was really fun. They had a pretty good selection of chams about 5 different vendors selling chameleons were their. I wanted a panther but in the end the horns got me lol. I got a 1year old male. He was pretty drained from all the show hype and having to be in a container but I got him home and he lets me know when Im making to much noise by looking right at me. I covered the tank up last night to bring stress levels down and today he is exploring and he really likes the bird ladders I put in. I am going to respect him and not pick him up for some time and let him get used to his new surroundings. I saw him drinking off the ficus tree this mourning after I misted the tank he did not seem to care I was watching. Any tips on Jacksons would be great. Whats a good temp and hum set point. I got a 10.O UVB and a 60watt basking light. Ps from my observation chameleons are probably the most sought after lizard at an expo buts its close with the bearded dragon close behind.

Here is what I got
IMG_0759.jpg

My jackson
IMG_0766.jpg

Ive used 10.0's but they werent spiral bulbs. they were fluorescent bulbs. I also suspended them at least 6" over the top of the cages. These were in large 6ft homemade screen cages. The fl ones are ok to use. But only for large enclosures where you need deeper penetration of uvb to get to the lower areas of the cage. ;)

VERY nice video, I really enjoyed it. What did Screameleons have their chams for sale in? I have never seen a setup of theirs, and couldn't find a pic of one on the internet. I saw they had some larger panthers in individual screen cages, were those for sale? What were their babies in? Just deli cups?

My gfand I both have jacksons and use 10.0 (tube)bulbs with NO problems. It is not bright at all. No the repti sun selfballasted compact fluorscent about BLINDED mine. If the cage is BIG then 10.0 is not a problem at all.

Ive used 10.0's but they werent spiral bulbs. they were fluorescent bulbs.

In the States, most people use 5.0 UVB, while in France it's the opposite. The vast majority uses 10.0 and not 5.0. Also, most enclosures are bigger as well in France, and this may be a part of the explanation of why they use higher UVB. However, i haven't seen many cases of UVB burns caused by a too powerful UVB source, so both ways seems to be correct! :) But yeah, i wouldn't use spirals too! :)

Thanks guys Screameleon setups were probably the nicest and biggest. They looked like 25gal mesh setups with stick bamboo like ladders. All of their adults were for sale in the video and the babies were in the same setup but different cages. If their were 6 chameleon venders only 3 had them in their natural setup. The chams that were being sold in cup looked very stressed. I am going to try and get a panther at the Ny Expo.

I was supposed to go to the LI expo yesterday but uncle sam hit me with a big penalty after doing my taxes myself, I think i might have misplaced a decimal or two but in anycase when/where is the NY expo goiing to be cause i dont want to wait until the next li show, even though it will be on my actual birthday.

I WAS THERE!!! haha

Thanks guys Screameleon setups were probably the nicest and biggest. They looked like 25gal mesh setups with stick bamboo like ladders. All of their adults were for sale in the video and the babies were in the same setup but different cages. If their were 6 chameleon venders only 3 had them in their natural setup. The chams that were being sold in cup looked very stressed. I am going to try and get a panther at the Ny Expo.

really? i always thought they were just for display and the babies were the only ones for sale......but maybe i'm wrong haha did you ask them if they were for sale? either way i agree with you they definitely have the best quality at both the LI and White Plains shows....although i have seen some others selling pretty decent looking chams recently; then there's those that look awful....did anyone see the male werneri? eyes completely shut, felt bad for him. anyway, your cham looks pretty good.....do you have readings for your temps, ie. basking, ambient, night? also for humidity? if you're in NY or close you'll understand how much of a pain it is to keep humidity up in the cold weather :D

I was supposed to go to the LI expo yesterday but uncle sam hit me with a big penalty after doing my taxes myself, I think i might have misplaced a decimal or two but in anycase when/where is the NY expo goiing to be cause i dont want to wait until the next li show, even though it will be on my actual birthday.

didn't miss much haha.....if anything White Plains is the same thing but larger so look into that....here's the website...next one's April 17 in WP....imma try and get there too :D
HTML:
http://www.reptileexpo.com/

ChamChick - screameleons setups were in the video.

I asked if they were for sale and I saw someone buy one. I'm going to get a baby panther at the ny expo. My uvb was a little to high i think with a 10.0 so i switched to a 5.0. His basking spot is about 80 but I read that at night a Jackson can be good in 65-70 temp. I have real plants and a automatic mist system so humidity is not a problem. whats a good humidity level for a jackson. 50??

Out of all the new animals I got the Jackson was the first to eat. I would say now he has explored just about the entire cage and seems to be getting used to me being around. He goes right for the leaves after I mist to drink.

his first trip to the bottom
IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

If thats your humidity or temp gauge on the bottom of the cage its not going to give an accurate reading down there. In fact I'd ditch all the analog temp and humidity gauges. They are pieces of crap. Really inaccurate readings. Go to home depot or lowes. They sell digital temp/humidity gauges all in one unit. Attach the enclosed probe under the chams baking branch so you can get an accurate reading of his basking temps and the AMBIENT air humidity. Not the humidity on the bottomof the cage. Its going to show a higher reading down there, because that is where all the water drains. You want the humidity in the air in the cage.

You want his baking temps around 80 deg and a nightime temp drop of 15-20 degs is preferred in montanes. So he can comfortably handle temps in the low 60's at night no prob. He needs AMBIENT humidity of around 70% during the day. And 80% would be even better. But being that your in a dry northern climate I would shoot for 70% and try to keep it there at a stable humidity. Not have it spike right after misting and drop to 50% or lower in an hr or so. Thats going to be your hardest test. Keeping humidity up without flooding the cage with misting sessions. You may end up having to put up some type of shower curtain or solid walls on a cpl of sides to help retain the humidity.

Thanks for the info he is in a 10gal with a 10gal add on. Its the perfect size for him now. I don't think I will need a bigger setup untill the summer time. I have not had to clean the cage yet . But I happen to have the gauge on the floor as the first step in my humidity test. I test all 3 levels of the viv thats why i take the sticky stuff off so i can move it around. Its pretty easy to keep hum. level when you have live plants an a automatic misting system.

I was thinking about putting him in my new viv but as you can see I have way to much plants for him and I think it would be to hard to clean. I was going to get Pygmy's but I got the jackson in the end.

IMG_0644.jpg

I switched the 10.0 with the 5.0uvb and a blue nightlight because I had red and I heard that not good. Does red bulb hurt their eyes??
IMG_0805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom