Reptile expo pick up=Jackson

?? Its only a 25w I was thinking thats low. I dont want the temt to drop to low before I can test it as tonight would be the first night with no light. If my heat gun tells me its 60-65 with no light I will leave it off.

IMG_0822.jpg

I don't know how big your cage is but it's looks quite small to me. I would put some more plants in it as well, also because humidity should be quite high.

About the 5.0:

I've had some bad experiences with that lamp along with a lot of other poeple I know, mine got MBD slightly and burn at his casque. Which was solved when I changed to an Arcadia 6% UV Fluorescent tube. I'm using these ever since and never had anymore troubles with MBD or burns or whatever. These lamps are tested and after 3 months they don't give enough UV anymore. At least this is for pardalis and calyptratus essential but a jackson doesn't need as much UV as these, but still I think you should keep in mind that the lamp should be changed more often than others.

My Fluorescent tube costs about 35$ but also still gives enough UV after 1 year in combination with a reflector.

I don't think you made the right choice for chameleon, I'm guessing you are a beginner in this and I surely wouldn't recommend a jackson. I still hope he's going to do fine but you should really keep him cool and humid.

I made the right choice I care for lots of animals and am up for the task. We can have a research battle if you want to I spend countless hours researching my animals. I did not make an impulse buy. I'm pretty sure my Jackson will be pretty happy with his situation and the care I will provide for him. He is in a 20gal high and i'm building him a new setup. He is still young and I think a bigger enclosure he could get lost and become inactive. I have quite a bit of plants in their I actually had to take some out. I know to keep them cool as their from Kenya and Tanzania in East Africa which is one of the more humid, cooler regions. Some experts say as long as your night temp is in the mid 40's your Jackson will be ok. My temp drops to about 60 at night and 75 during the day. basking spot about 80 . Their hum should be between 50 and 80 so I'm usually right in the middle. I understand a Jackson has special needs and is not a easy cham to maintain but its not rocket science.

IMG_0592.jpg

I made the right choice I care for lots of animals and am up for the task. We can have a research battle if you want to I spend countless hours researching my animals. I did not make an impulse buy. I'm pretty sure my Jackson will be pretty happy with his situation and the care I will provide for him. He is in a 20gal high and i'm building him a new setup. He is still young and I think a bigger enclosure he could get lost and become inactive. I have quite a bit of plants in their I actually had to take some out. I know to keep them cool as their from Kenya and Tanzania in East Africa which is one of the more humid, cooler regions. Some experts say as long as your night temp is in the mid 40's your Jackson will be ok. My temp drops to about 60 at night and 75 during the day. basking spot about 80 . Their hum should be between 50 and 80 so I'm usually right in the middle. I understand a Jackson has special needs and is not a easy cham to maintain but its not rocket science.

kinda sounds like you feel you've been offended......don't haha. everyone here is looking out for BOTH the cham and YOU. take their advice.....where are you located? first of all, let me start by saying i have never kept a jackson, but i do a bit of reading here pretty often, so everything i say is going by what i've read from other keepers.....anyway i have a panther and a veiled and the night temps usually don't drop lower than 65, so you really don't need the night bulb; your temps look pretty ok anyway, however i did notice you have an analog thermometer (or humidity gauge), they're completely inaccurate. GO DIGITAL haha....any pet store should carry the ones with the probe attached to a wire, and i think some stores like home depot or lowes (even walmart, i got a temp/humidity gauge there but w/ no probe...it attaches to the cage w/ a magnet) may carry them. if you have the money, grab a temp gun....i got one in december and it's awesome haha. make sure you use a digital probe for humidity as well. also, how big is the cage that you are planning (LxWxH)? interested in how you will be going about making it :D

and again.....everyone is here to help, and are only making sure you and your new addition will have no problems; that's what the forum is here for! :D

Sorry but yes I was a little taking back by the comment only because I have over 20 animals that all have special needs just like my Jackson. Stuff like salt water reef tank which I have 3 of have about 6 to 7 levels your watching all the time like salinity,ph,alkalinity,calcium etc. Watching temp and hum in my eyes is actually pretty easy. So I'm sorry if I came off to hard but I really love my animals and love doing research and watching my animals thrive. I live in the bronx ny. I would never be able to have a chameleon if it were not for this forum so I do listen very closely to the advice and my research are what make me confident with keeping chameleons. I got rid of the night bulb and my temp last night dropped to about 65 I picked up a temp gun and it works great I will look into getting a different hum.gauge. I have one custom viv thats 26,16,11 which I believe is a 19.8 gallon. Not sure on the exact size I will make for my Jackson yet I was going to use left over material from my reptile rack that Im currently breeding leopard geckos.

zoo med temp gun
IMG_0826.jpg

lizard rack
IMG_0445.jpg

Spike exploring my room I really love this guy as soon as I open his cage he comes right out. He always makes a run for my custom planted viv first.

IMG_0819.jpg

Back
Top Bottom