Repti Glo / Repti Sun

Yes. The repti-sun do pentrate further into the cage.

I use repti-glo 8.0 lights with my veileds.

Well I've already purchased the Exo-terra Repti-glo and I noticed it doesn't seem to put out much light, i have the 5.0 24" UVB and my cage is 2X2X4. Is there any significant difference between the two?

Last edited:
does the hood your using have a reflector on it? if not, you should make one for it as it will reflect the light a lot better. i made a reflector for my hood out of thin sheet metal and it makes a big difference in light output. also, as Jordan said, the reptisuns have greater penetration and tests show that their 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs give the best results in terms of uvb output, consistently.

Jim

My main concern was that perhaps the repti-glo emitted a completely different scale of uvb light than the repti-sun... I"m using this right now in terms of a reflection hood - Click

I do have another source of light in the cage, I'm keeping a 60watt daylight blue Zoo-Med reptile bulb under the reflection hood which obviously runs on the same timer as the 24" could this be too much light? Also i'm not keeping the 100watt basking lamp i have under the reflection hood, instead thats on a clamp/reflector about 4 inches away from the uv lights

My main concern was that perhaps the repti-glo emitted a completely different scale of uvb light than the repti-sun... I"m using this right now in terms of a reflection hood - Click

I do have another source of light in the cage, I'm keeping a 60watt daylight blue Zoo-Med reptile bulb under the reflection hood which obviously runs on the same timer as the 24" could this be too much light? Also i'm not keeping the 100watt basking lamp i have under the reflection hood, instead thats on a clamp/reflector about 4 inches away from the uv lights

sorry, the link you provided just shows the box of the hood you bought, and i dont remember what that hood looks like (referring to the underside) ....

blue, red, or any "colored" bulb is not recommended for chameleons, so if your using that for basking, lose it and get a regular natural-white reptile basking bulb, or go to a hardware store and grab a few household bulbs for a fraction of the price. Is that blue bulb meant for basking? or is it just to give the habitat a certain color tone? If for basking, the combination of the blue light plus your other 100watt basking lamp is probably too hot for the cham anyway...

There might be such thing as "too much light" but its not going to happen with 1 or 2 uvb tubes and a uva spot light. Even if that combination creates a decent amount of light, you should be providing hiding spots for the cham when he wants to retreat from the heat and/or uvb. Using my cage as an example, even with 2 fluorescent lights and 1 75watt spot for uva, my chams cage is still pretty dark beneath the plant because of its size and fullness...hope that helps some.

Jim

ok, i remember that style hood now...that hood should be fine with your reptiglo and blue bulb since the blue bulb isnt putting out heat like your uva basking lamp. again, tests show that the reptisun tubes are more efficient and effective, so if i had your hood, i'd swap the reptiglo for a reptisun. good luck :)

Jim

i raised my first 4 baby veileds with a esu combo hood ,i bought another one a couple months ago for another veiled.i think they work ok.

I've used 5.0 repti-glo tubes for the last 6 months. I now have a 10.0 in with my cham, she seems to love it alot more, appetite has jumped too.

Well I've already purchased the Exo-terra Repti-glo and I noticed it doesn't seem to put out much light, i have the 5.0 24" UVB and my cage is 2X2X4. Is there any significant difference between the two?
Howdy,

Funny thing about fluoroscent-based UVB light sources is that the more UVB they are designed to produce the less visible light they produce. More UVB is produced by reducing the amount of UVB-to-light-producing phosphors thus less of the UVB spectrum is converted to visible light and more of it passes through the tube and to our critters. You'll want to compensate for the low visible light produced by these tubes by having a nice bright basking light or another added light source.

I bought some ballist at walmart that are 24" long and hold two bulbs ($9). You can put UVb light of your choice and keep one of the flourescents that came with it in. I went and bought a specailty flourescent plant light from the pet store in an effort to try and help the plants out.

Back
Top Bottom