Reptarium Opinions

JohnMcNic

Hi, I am about to purchase my first chaleleon enclosure and was wondering if anyone had any sugestions. I am planning on obtaining a baby panther within a month or two, (whenever I have my setup complete) and I am currently looking at buying the 38 gal. Reptarium from http://www.reptiledirect.com It measures 16.5" X 16.5" X 30". If anyone has any opinions on this cage or any of the other Repariums in the same series please let me know, good and bad!

John

Hello, I have never used a reptarium, but from what I heard about them (Flimsy, chams getting their nails stuck in the mesh, bad drainage, bad lighting, ventilation, etc) in my oppinion, I would suggest to getting a cage like the Aluminum one here at www.reptiledepot.com or building your own. Also, for a Cham, it is good to have a cage/reptarium that is taller then it is wide, since chams are tree dwellers and like to be higher then you (they will feel safer).

But don't let my oppinion steer you away as again, I have never used one. :)

In my opinion they're kind of a pain in the butt to deal with. Only because the zippers always get stuck, and because with a cham you always have to worry about keeping the cage clean. It was just a pain to get in and out of for me as far as maintanance goes. Also, I had one cham lose a finger nail in one....Although this was just one of the many chams that I had at the time.
Other than that I think they're great, affordable options when thinking about a chameleon. They dont rip (although crickets may chew threw them if given enough time). But even if that happens I think apogee offers a lifetime warrenty. Although I'm not sure what it covers. I had success with reptariums for a couple years. Overall a pain, but they get the job done.

Last edited:
Aluminum

Drake said:
Hello, I have never used a reptarium, but from what I heard about them (Flimsy, chams getting their nails stuck in the mesh, bad drainage, bad lighting, ventilation, etc) in my oppinion, I would suggest to getting a cage like the Aluminum one here at www.reptiledepot.com or building your own. Also, for a Cham, it is good to have a cage/reptarium that is taller then it is wide, since chams are tree dwellers and like to be higher then you (they will feel safer).

But don't let my oppinion steer you away as again, I have never used one. :)

With the aluminum one at reptile depot, is just the frame aluminum or both the frame and screen. I don't really want an AL. screen.

i would suggest i smaller cage for a baby chameleon becuase it is easier to care for them that way. i used 38gallon reptarium for my chameleon but stop becuase they don't let you veiw your animal that good. i suggest going to www.reptilesupply.com because they are cheaper then any place else. that is where i get my supplies from. there chameleon cages are cheap to

I also agree with the consensus of others here.... retariums are cheaper, but personally, I don't like them at all. I bought a few, and I put them in the basement to gather dust almost immediately :). It is difficult to see your chameleon they are so dark, the zipper is really a pain, and I almost feel like it's a claustrophobic atmosphere for the chameleons. Just my opinion. www.lllreptile.com is also a good place that sells aluminum cages at decent prices, as well as the other places mentioned above. I think they have some sales going on them right now actually.

JohnMcNic said:
With the aluminum one at reptile depot, is just the frame aluminum or both the frame and screen. I don't really want an AL. screen.
Im pretty sure its just the frame, maybe someone else can confirm this?

Drake said:
Im pretty sure its just the frame, maybe someone else can confirm this?
The cages you get at Retile Depot, among the other places listed, come in box with various pieces of screens that look very similar to a window screen - it has a metal frame with screen installed inside of it. When you open the box, you will have various sizes of "window screens" that are easily put together with screws (screws are included, holes are already drilled for you, as well as instructions). It also comes with a solid piece for the bottom of your cage, so as to not get dripping water running through it.

If you get the 48" size for a larger chameleons, you will find it has a door on the bottom front to lift upwards in order to clean the bottom of your cage more easily.

Very simple and easy to put together. All you need is a screw driver :) .

Prism Chameleons said:
If you get the 48" size for a larger chameleons, you will find it has a door on the bottom front to lift upwards in order to clean the bottom of your cage more easily.

Is the 48" size the smallest cage that has the bottom door, or do the others have it as well. I think I was looking at the 16" X 16" X 30" cage to start with and would like the door.

John

Well, not sure how to respond to this because I do something completely different :D .

First of all, the smaller cages don't normally come with a little door opening to get to the bottom of the cage. But, I have never found it useful anyway. It is easier to just open the door for me and clean it. Especially with the 48" cage that usually sits on a floor... Geez, you have to lay down to clean using the door that way! So I find it useful another way ;) .

With the 48" cages that come with the door, I make the front upside down so the little flap door is at the top :p . I find it VERY, VERY useful to have the opening at the top of the cage, rather than the bottom because I can get my chameleons out MUCH easier with that little top door. I also use it that way to feed them too. They will walk right up and snatch worms right out of my hand and I'm standing there with the little door open! No bending over or anything. They also walk right into my hand, instead of trying to reach for them. And that really helps when someone like me has as many chameleons as I do (which is a lot).

Hope that helps.

It's no problem!! Truly, I love to help when I can. If I can help further, please let me know.

By the way, your chameleon will need cages according to his size, as a panther chameleon grows to adult age, you will need a larger cage than 16x16x30. But, unfortunately, you must start with a small cage with your baby chameleon so he can reach food, etc. So plan on later saving to purchase a bigger cage for him when he becomes a big boy. At that time, you might consider the 48" cage with the bottom door.

Ask as many questions as you wish... that is what forums are for :).

Back
Top Bottom