Report of grasshopper breeding success?

Zach Valois

Just curious if anyone can give some insight on they're or others success rates and experience with breeding grasshoppers.

It looks like Europeans are definitely ahead of us on this game, and are making bounds with 'locusts'.

I have seen many posts on grasshoppers on this board, by US members, but never any real posts on continued success or high productivity.

Anyone have any insight?

Just curious if anyone can give some insight on they're or others success rates and experience with breeding grasshoppers.

It looks like Europeans are definitely ahead of us on this game, and are making bounds with 'locusts'.

I have seen many posts on grasshoppers on this board, by US members, but never any real posts on continued success or high productivity.

Anyone have any insight?

No one produces grasshoppers commercially in the US because they can't ship them...they are a known agricultural pest for pretty much any state. Also, some Europeans call domestic crickets "locusts". There are many many species of locust so you'd really need more specific info about what they mean, whether they were wildcaught colony founders or some other commercially raised type.

I don't think we have access to the species, for reasons which are stated above, which is commonly used as a feeder in the UK. Most of our native species only have a couple of generations a year, meaning they're not very productive when it comes to breeding them, although it's relatively easy. If you have access to a nice and grassy field, (pesticide free!) you can easily net your own.

I think Europe gets most of it's locust from the continent below them, Africa. Kind like Mexico to us here in the states. And Turkey is a major producer of them in the warmer months of the year.

There are couple of keepers who captive breed their own. I would research and experiment with breeding species local to your area. I have shipped in the past however I am only allowed to ship in the state of California and have got a California Department Agriculture permit to ship them. I'm currently only shipping in extremely small numbers.

Back
Top Bottom