Replacing reptibreeze screen with clear siding??

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
The reptibreeze enclosures are pretty convenient for a lot of species, but I’m not crazy about their looks. Has anyone tried simply cutting out the screen and replacing it with some sort of clear film, or sheet of plexiglass/whatever for a better view? I was thinking that + painting it with a color to match the room, they’d make a pretty nice enclosure for cheap. Thoughts?

That’s a great idea and I’d love to see how you make it work. I haven’t thought about clear sides as I need to block views, but I have thought about replacing my oh so dark faux backgrounds with something white or even painted to simulate foliage. To eliminate the screen, I’d think you’d have to epoxy the clear sides to the frame. If anyone can make it work, you are the one! :)

On the inside is a rubber sealing, if you remove this you can take out the screen. You then could use the groove to put in silicone and press the plexiglass against it. If you use the thinnest plexiglass 1/32” it should do the trick.

F7233FEE-A6E2-43C3-B737-80312D62E164.jpeg

I have done this with a few enclosures. You take out the spline and screen. Get 20 gauge marine Vinyl. Lay it back over the screen frame. I used large paper clamps to hold the side in place. Run the spline tool into the grove over the vinyl so it creates an indent then lay in your spline. Do one side then its opposite. Do not over pull the vinyl though or it will flex your screen. Then do the other sides one at a time. This will make it lay in cleanly.
This is the company I ordered the clear vinyl from. You order it by the yard. https://www.etsy.com/listing/492482460/clear-marine-vinyl-by-the-yard-20-30-40?click_key=2fcf8f96b779b7231873c5765d7a4c84220afa29:492482460&click_sum=76e13e07&ref=shop_home_feat_1&frs=1

That’s a great idea and I’d love to see how you make it work. I haven’t thought about clear sides as I need to block views, but I have thought about replacing my oh so dark faux backgrounds with something white or even painted to simulate foliage. To eliminate the screen, I’d think you’d have to epoxy the clear sides to the frame. If anyone can make it work, you are the one! :)
Haha I’m pretty much a diy newb, excited to try things though!

On the inside is a rubber sealing, if you remove this you can take out the screen. You then could use the groove to put in silicone and press the plexiglass against it. If you use the thinnest plexiglass 1/32” it should do the trick.

View attachment 324530
Oh that’s right it’s in like a window screen, great idea! Thank you

I have done this with a few enclosures. You take out the spline and screen. Get 20 gauge marine Vinyl. Lay it back over the screen frame. I used large paper clamps to hold the side in place. Run the spline tool into the grove over the vinyl so it creates an indent then lay in your spline. Do one side then its opposite. Do not over pull the vinyl though or it will flex your screen. Then do the other sides one at a time. This will make it lay in cleanly.
This is the company I ordered the clear vinyl from. You order it by the yard. https://www.etsy.com/listing/492482460/clear-marine-vinyl-by-the-yard-20-30-40?click_key=2fcf8f96b779b7231873c5765d7a4c84220afa29:492482460&click_sum=76e13e07&ref=shop_home_feat_1&frs=1
That’s awesome, another amazing idea! How’d it turn out for you? I feel like this is a great way to make a very nice cage for cheap.

Haha I’m pretty much a diy newb, excited to try things though!

Oh that’s right it’s in like a window screen, great idea! Thank you

That’s awesome, another amazing idea! How’d it turn out for you? I feel like this is a great way to make a very nice cage for cheap.
Fantastic. I replaced my screen in the doors of the large atrium I had and I reworked 3 panels of Beman's enclosure then switched to solid panels. The third pic of the side by sides is when I had screen in the large atrium. This first pic is with clear vinyl in the door panels.
Second pic is when I replaced the vinyl on Beman's in the top panel and the door. Then added the solid walls. That was two years ago now I think. I screwed in the panels to the outside because I did not have time that I could wait to try to attach any other way. 4th pic is his cage now. No discoloration or issues in the marine vinyl just lots of tongue spots lol.

1-30-21.jpg IMG_5060.jpg jpeg-imag.jpg

IMG_7137.jpg

The reptibreeze enclosures are pretty convenient for a lot of species, but I’m not crazy about their looks. Has anyone tried simply cutting out the screen and replacing it with some sort of clear film, or sheet of plexiglass/whatever for a better view? I was thinking that + painting it with a color to match the room, they’d make a pretty nice enclosure for cheap. Thoughts?
Hey James! Im actually looking to do this soon for a plant atrium. I got samples from a vinyl company that sells clear vinyl for walling off your porch in winter, sails, etc. you can literally install just like the screen, using the same type of strips. The only thing I’m unsure of is how the stretching part will go… But as it warms up a bit it also tightens.

Does this increase humidity as well?

Does this increase humidity as well?
Yes, it turns it into a hybrid enclosure. So it is great for having more control over temps and humidity. It is exceptional when you live in low humidity environments. However when I was in Northern CA and dealt with really high natural humidity I did have to run a room dehumidifier to reduce my over all ambient humidity levels during the day. Now living in AZ it makes it so my levels are perfect for a Veiled. My reason for turning Beman's cage into a hybrid was to remove screen due to him being an active screen climber. He lost 2 nails because of it.

Yes, it turns it into a hybrid enclosure. So it is great for having more control over temps and humidity. It is exceptional when you live in low humidity environments. However when I was in Northern CA and dealt with really high natural humidity I did have to run a room dehumidifier to reduce my over all ambient humidity levels during the day. Now living in AZ it makes it so my levels are perfect for a Veiled. My reason for turning Beman's cage into a hybrid was to remove screen due to him being an active screen climber. He lost 2 nails because of it.
Thanks so much, this is super helpful!

@snitz427 let me know when you do it, you and John always have something cool planned. And now that my building/diy expertise has substantially increased, to the point of being able to drill a hole in wood, I am ready to take the plunge into removing screen and replacing with see-through material.

@Beman the screen climbing is another bonus I didn’t even think of! And now that you showed those pics, I think I remember you doing this now.

Now the question is, why aren’t more people doing this? Seems like such a great idea.

@snitz427 let me know when you do it, you and John always have something cool planned. And now that my building/diy expertise has substantially increased, to the point of being able to drill a hole in wood, I am ready to take the plunge into removing screen and replacing with see-through material.

@Beman the screen climbing is another bonus I didn’t even think of! And now that you showed those pics, I think I remember you doing this now.

Now the question is, why aren’t more people doing this? Seems like such a great idea.
I think most people do not realize they can do it. I honestly took what I had and replicated the clear side material. I found out what was used in the original DS that I bought. He does not make mine anymore but it came with one side panel that was all screen. Beman would constantly climb it even having tons of branches and plants. After he lost the second nail I pulled it all apart. Later on I did the PVC sheets on his cage to match my other DS cages. But since I could only leave him in a box for a short period to do it the only way I could attach was with screws. If I did it again and had the time I would look at attaching with silicone or something for a smooth seal on the edge. But you can still use the ledges with the vinyl and the PVC sheets. You just have to measure and make sure they are attaching straight. Then add your holes for the screws.

Last edited:
I think most people do not realize they can do it. I honestly took what I had and replicated the clear side material. I found out what was used in the original DS that I bought. He does not make mine anymore but it came with one side panel that was all screen. Beman would constantly climb it even having tons of branches and plants. After he lost the second nail I pulled it all apart. Later on I did the PVC sheets on his cage to match my other DS cages. But since I could only leave him in a box for a short period to do it the only way I could attach was with screws. If I did it again and had the time I would look at attaching with silicone or something for a smooth seal on the edge. But you can still use the ledges with the vinyl and the PVC sheets. You just have to measure and make sure they are attaching straight. Then add your holes for the screws.
Well this will probably be what I do if I get another Cham. I’m thinking of maybe a Kenyan xanth in one of these converted reptibreeze. Or a smaller species in a medium atrium I have.

Only hiccup I run into now is our office room has a tendency to get warm during summer, I’d probably need some sort of small AC.

Well this will probably be what I do if I get another Cham. I’m thinking of maybe a Kenyan xanth in one of these converted reptibreeze. Or a smaller species in a medium atrium I have.

Only hiccup I run into now is our office room has a tendency to get warm during summer, I’d probably need some sort of small AC.
You could do a small window unit ac and it would probably give you the exact temps. Those arent too horribly expensive either. I am in love with some of the smaller species that @javadi breeds. They are adorable and ones that are not as common. I do not know which species of Jacksons @JacksJill breeds but you know hers are always amazing.

It would be cool for you to have a little dude to hang out in the office with you. Much easier when they are smaller too lol not all the space that your used to having to have.

I love the Xanth and his free range in our office, same as the Boehmei and panther. All three are free range in their tree and are free to roam their way through the office. You’ll be amazed what level of joy this will bring to keeping them, big or small species. My wife and I work together 5 days at home……and we can write a book about the things we witness with them.

You could do a small window unit ac and it would probably give you the exact temps. Those arent too horribly expensive either. I am in love with some of the smaller species that @javadi breeds. They are adorable and ones that are not as common. I do not know which species of Jacksons @JacksJill breeds but you know hers are always amazing.

It would be cool for you to have a little dude to hang out in the office with you. Much easier when they are smaller too lol not all the space that your used to having to have.
Yeah that’s what I’d probably have to do, we already run a few window ACs in our house lol. The office is very small, doubt I’d need much power in one. And yeah the small species are really amazing… I remember my panthers when they were small, I was thinking it’d be cool if they just stayed that size. Would love to set up a beautiful little bio enclosure for a nice display while I’m studying for classes.

@javadi mind me asking what you all breed?

I love the Xanth and his free range in our office, same as the Boehmei and panther. All three are free range in their tree and are free to roam their way through the office. You’ll be amazed what level of joy this will bring to keeping them, big or small species. My wife and I work together 5 days at home……and we can write a book about the things we witness with them.

How is the xanth’s personality? Whatever I get I’d like it to be somewhat okay* with people. My parson’s wouldn’t even eat around anyone which was disappointing because my kids wanted to watch so badly. Panthers appeal a little because they’re probably the most personable of chameleons and I’m sure my kids would appreciate handling the Cham on the special occasion.

The parsons was on a free range in there full time. If I get a new Cham, I’d probably set up a free range that the future Cham could venture out on during the day when I open the doors. Something so cool about having a Cham hanging around like a bird.

Yeah that’s what I’d probably have to do, we already run a few window ACs in our house lol. The office is very small, doubt I’d need much power in one. And yeah the small species are really amazing… I remember my panthers when they were small, I was thinking it’d be cool if they just stayed that size. Would love to set up a beautiful little bio enclosure for a nice display while I’m studying for classes.

@javadi mind me asking what you all breed?

How is the xanth’s personality? Whatever I get I’d like it to be somewhat okay* with people. My parson’s wouldn’t even eat around anyone which was disappointing because my kids wanted to watch so badly. Panthers appeal a little because they’re probably the most personable of chameleons and I’m sure my kids would appreciate handling the Cham on the special occasion.

The parsons was on a free range in there full time. If I get a new Cham, I’d probably set up a free range that the future Cham could venture out on during the day when I open the doors. Something so cool about having a Cham hanging around like a bird.
I love xanths. I've never met a grumpy one. Even the feral ones in Hawaii will come off the tree no problem. I think they have such a lovely mild personality. A great addition to a chameleon household!

As for what I breed/produce with some regularity:

Furcifer lateralis (carpet chameleons)
Furcifer campani (jeweled chameleons)
Furcifer minor (lesser chameleons)
Trioceros ellioti (elliot's chameleons)
Calumma linotum (blue nose chameleons)
Calumma roaloko
Brookesia stumpffi
Brookesia thieli
Brookesia therezieni
Brookesia brygooi (seasonal)
Brookesia ebenaui
Brookesia decaryi (seasonal)
Furcifer pardalis (very rarely)

For some of these I only let a few individuals go at a time, or I prioritize sending them to zoos for conservation etc., so things aren't always as readily available as I'd like them to be.

Projects in the works (successful breeding, egg laying) for which I haven't made babies available yet (or cannot yet), but working on it...
Furcifer willsii
Furcifer petteri
Furcifer antimena

I stepped back a bit from a couple other smaller breeding projects, because others seemed to have the species well-covered :)
I have a couple other things in the works that I will only announce if things make it far enough along to have a good chance of offspring being available. Fingers crossed though....

A baby furcifer minor opening its eyes for the first time!

Furcifer minor hatching.jpg

I hope this didn't detract from the thread too much, I just like chameleons and like talking about them. Welcome back to the forums!

Back
Top Bottom