repiglo 5.0 compact 26watt flourescent bulb

Bob 1000

I have been using a powersun 150 watt bulb for the the first 6 months I have had Scratchy, but now the bulb is seemly having trouble starting up.. It goes on then off about 2 times before it stays on for the 10hr period I run it..
Stopped by petland and picked up this compact 26 watt reptiglo 5.0 uvb bulb, wanting to try something deffirent or more closer to the majority of keepers here..
I'm also posting a half slep picture I took trying to wake him up and bring him back to his enclosure from his free range jungle. He's usually a lot lighter in sleep mode but I woke him a little..
What makes this bulb a bad choice that's my question??

Attachments

• scratchanold.jpg
    scratchanold.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 136
The compacts had issues many years ago from what I have read and caused eye problems, even blindness. The manufacturers claimed to have rectified the problem. There was always the risk of getting old stock and getting one of these bulbs. Rather than take that risk, people figured it was better to be safe than sorry and not go with the compacts. There are members who use the compacts without any problems.This discussion has come up quite a bit. The choice is up to you. Alls you can do it use it and if your cham starts experiencing eye problems, then maybe you might wanna think about changing the bulb.

People have reported that is causes eye issues for chameleon and even blindness. I WOULD NOT USE THIS COMPACT BULB. Stick to the linear tube style...

I've used the Exoterra Reptiglo 5.0's (compact) for years and never had any problems. I think you will find that there are many other forum members who use compact UVB ulbs, too. Those manufacturing defects were corrected. If you google the issue, you will come up with a study done in Britain that actually analyzed all of the brands at the time. Very interesting.

i used the reptiglow 5.0 26w cfl's and had no problems but i switched to the linear reptisun 5.0 as it seemed the better bulb

I use them no problems on a few enclosures since I had compact hoods. I do have linear 5.0s as well on others.

I also nticed that the bulb says uvb on the box, not uvb and uva like my powersun mercury vapor bulb.. Is this bulb lacking something/UVA??
Also what's the difference between the 10.0 and the 5.0 bulb??

"Stimulates appetite, activity and reproductive behaviour through UVA radiation"

that is from the exo terra site referring to their repti glo bulbs including the 5.0 compact.

I actually think its says that on the box if I remember correctly as well. With a few other benefits from the bulb they list

aha! Good question! No I don't think depth has anything to do with it. I know there have been members on here who use the 10.0. The 5.0 just seems to be the standard on here. Also what my breeder sold to me with my cham. Maybe someone can answer why to use the 5.0 instead of the 10.0. I think I have seen discussions on here that it is too much UVB.? Maybe do a thread search to find the answer on that one! For myself personally, my cham spends most of his time outdoors in the sun so I don't even worry that much about the UVB inside his cage.

IMO. And from the breeders I have talked to. They say only go with the 5.0 not a 10. It is not nessary. Years of breeders having used a product is reason enough for me to belive them. I use Repti-Sun 5.0 tube.

aha! Good question! No I don't think depth has anything to do with it. I know there have been members on here who use the 10.0. The 5.0 just seems to be the standard on here. Also what my breeder sold to me with my cham. Maybe someone can answer why to use the 5.0 instead of the 10.0. I think I have seen discussions on here that it is too much UVB.? Maybe do a thread search to find the answer on that one! For myself personally, my cham spends most of his time outdoors in the sun so I don't even worry that much about the UVB inside his cage.

What I read was it is how much UVB it puts out. And apperently chameleons dont need that much conentrated UVB in their system. There is a great artical in this months issue of Reptile Magazine about UVB/UVA. It explains every thing in great detail.

I just did quick read and found a little info. It said the 10.0 is more for animals such as bearded dragons because they require more UVB living in a desert type of environment. I don't know about you but I am stickin with the 5.0!!!

I think once the bulb is starting to give you problems on start up, it's time for a new bulb. 6 months is probably about as long as you want to use any UVB bulb.

I use some reptiglo compacts and haven't had any problems. It's actually what I started with a year ago and I just kept buying them. Then I read what the forum has to say and it's all not too positive. Have there been any new reports of blindness? I for one have used them with success for over a year now.

10.0 is for desert reptiles. I wonder if they can get sunburn?
5.0 is for jungle. That's as much as I know from reading about it.

Also, I'm not too sure but don't regular lights give off UVA? I know the blue day light lamps give off UVA because it says so on the box.

i don't use CFL lamps at all. I have tested them.... the issue with CFL is the concentration of UVB near the lamp and with the older lamps, the type of UV generated by the lamp. I personally do not endorse CFL lamps...... ESPECIALLY for young chameleons that climb the sides and tops of cages.

I also don't think PowerSun lamps should be used without a UVB meter. They are meant for desert animals...

a 10.0 linear tube is OK in a tall cage..... but don't place the lamp directly on top of the cage. Raise it up about 2-3 inches.

People have reported that is causes eye issues for chameleon and even blindness. I WOULD NOT USE THIS COMPACT BULB. Stick to the linear tube style...

If the compact is at a good distance from the cham it cannot cause blindness.

I use Compact repti glo 5.0 compacts with all my cham's and no issues.

Just make sure its a good distance from the cham, dont plonk it inside the cage.

The number you see on a UVB bulb is the percentage of UVB that is put out by that particular bulb (i.e. 5.0 is 5% UVB).

My thought is that your desert species use the 10.0 because they have less cover (trees, bushes etc) to shield them from natural UVB. Chameleons, given that they are arboreal, are semi shaded from natural UVB and frogs, newts, etc use the 2.0 typically due to their mostly low to the ground and foliage covered natural habitats.

Back
Top Bottom