Repashy Calcium Plus vs Calcium Plus LOD

timber64

Can someone explain the difference between Repashy Calcium Plus and Repashy Calcium Plus LoD? Are they interchangeable?

I started out with Calcium Plus and then after learning I needed to rotate my supplement schedule with something containing D3, I purchased Calcium Plus LoD - only to realize later that they BOTH contain D3 (at least I think they do, right?).

Ultimately, as my research progressed I've landed on the use of Arcadia EarthPro-A with a single weekly dose of a supplement containing D3. I believe Calcium Plus LoD satsifies that requirement, but I'm confused if Calcium Plus could be used as well. Differences??

Signed,
Supplemently Defficient!!

Hi there.. So the two your talking about Repashy Calcium plus and Calcium plus LoD.... The only difference is going to be the D3 and Vitamin A amounts. These are always typically seen in combined supplements like this to be in a 10 (A) to 1 (D3) ratio.

The Calcium plus is not typically recommended for chams as it has much higher D3 and A levels. Since these are both fat soluble and store in the body you have to be very careful about overdosing with them. And not enough is known on what is too much or too little.
However there has been success using the LoD version but it would only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Then all other feedings would be calcium without D3.

The Arcadia EP-A would be your calcium without D3 and additional water soluble vitamins, bee pollen, and carotenoids.

Soooooo bacically use EP-A at all feedings except 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th when you would use the repashy LoD instead. :)
This would be for a Panther or Veiled specifically. So if you have another species let me know.

Last edited:
Soooooo bacically use EP-A at all feedings except 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th when you would use the repashy LoD instead. :)
This would be for a Panther or Veiled specifically. So if you have another species let me know.
Perfect!! Just what I wanted to know....and what I kind of thought was going to be the answer. EP-A (daily) and Calcium Plus LoD (2Xmonth) it is. I guess I'll put away the Calcium Plus for some other reptile in my distant future!!

Perfect!! Just what I wanted to know....and what I kind of thought was going to be the answer. EP-A (daily) and Calcium Plus LoD (2Xmonth) it is. I guess I'll put away the Calcium Plus for some other reptile in my distant future!!
And this if for a Veiled or Panther right? I just want to make sure it is not for another species that I am giving you an incorrect supplementation recommendation for lol

I’m currently using “Rep-Cal calcium” every feeding and “rep-cal calcium with d3” every 1st & 15th.
Would switching the “rep-cal calcium w/d3” to the “repashy LoD” make a noticeable change whether it be looks or behavior wise?

I do gutload with repashy bug burger & superload along with carrots, spinach and other leafy greens.

Not to throw sand in the gears but I was under the impression that repashy Lo-D was acceptable for every feeding?

Not to throw sand in the gears but I was under the impression that repashy Lo-D was acceptable for every feeding?

Nope, not for chams.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb
Arcadia is also around 4,000 IU/lb or 5000 IU/kg
I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg

So there is a HUGE difference in D3 dosage from the popular vendors.

In terms of dosage, chameleons get the 8,000.Lo-D twice a month. "Other" lizards may get get the Lo-D every feeding.

Hell my Tegu that lives in a hole, gets Repashy calcium plus (non Lo-D) every feeding, and its 20,000 IU/lb. But if you think of it in terms of dosage per animal weight, its a 14 pound tegu, there is no way i could get the same dosage as "half pound chameleon eating a dozen dusted crickets", I would have to be literally hiding pills of the stuff in its food.

Last edited:
I’m currently using “Rep-Cal calcium” every feeding and “rep-cal calcium with d3” every 1st & 15th.
Would switching the “rep-cal calcium w/d3” to the “repashy LoD” make a noticeable change whether it be looks or behavior wise?

I do gutload with repashy bug burger & superload along with carrots, spinach and other leafy greens.
Yes it would be a good idea to change from the calcium D3 to the Repashy LoD Version 2 times a month. The repcal with D3 is not a multivitamin so it does not have vitamin A. The repashy LoD is a mutlivitamin containing D3 and A along with other vitamins. Then all other feedings you would use the plain Calcium without D3 like you already are.

You would want to stop using spinach in your gutload. It can actually bind calcium absorption. Use other items off this list.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

I think there are a ton of variables at play. I have had success with male panthers using LoD every feeding.
It also seems to be linked to what a breeder uses. Like Kammerflage babies seem to have a higher tolerance and can have LoD every feeding, while other chams from other breeders get edema and other issues from using it everyday. I personally have had bad results with Repashy (LoD every feeding and just once every two weeks, and their plain calcium every feeding), tried multiple times on different chams, and they all ended up on vet trips and a supplement change. I prefer Zoo Med and Sticky Tongue Farms supplements. I haven't tried the Arcadia supplements with their schedule yet, but I think I'd like it, too

It also seems to be linked to what a breeder uses. Like Kammerflage babies seem to have a higher tolerance and can have LoD every feeding, while other chams from other breeders get edema and other issues from using it everyday. I personally have had bad results with Repashy (LoD every feeding and just once every two weeks, and their plain calcium every feeding), tried multiple times on different chams, and they all ended up on vet trips and a supplement change. I prefer Zoo Med and Sticky Tongue Farms supplements. I haven't tried the Arcadia supplements with their schedule yet, but I think I'd like it, too

Yea back when dinos roamed the earth you could get by with LoD and no D3 lighting. 100% supplement D3. It was kinda nice, you knew exactly how much D3 your animal was getting, vs figuring out lighting distance and light strength degradation. Back in the 90's reptile lighting UVB output was a joke. You just installed a vit-a-lite T12 for 6500k and abysmal amount of UVB, and supplemented with the equivalent of LoD. But hey all the vet X-rays had good bone scans, so it worked :)

I do want to clarify that using LoD every feeding with an adult male panther that eats a couple bugs every other day is very different from a juvenile that eats a dozen feeders every day. For juveniles during the first year I had success with the Arcadia schedule and LoD once or twice per week.

Today on Bill Strand’s live stream he stated kammerflage and Don from highlighter both use repashy calcium plus every feeding 😗
Did anyone else watch?
Yes it is very common with Panthers to do this. They seem to be less susceptible to over supplementation. It still requires caution and constant observation to make sure nothing gets out of balance.

Today on Bill Strand’s live stream he stated kammerflage and Don from highlighter both use repashy calcium plus every feeding 😗
Did anyone else watch?
Just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't trust what Highlighter Chams says, they are believed to inbreed, don't use proper husbandry themselves, have bad ethics, and are more concerned about money vs the health of a cham. They sell tickets to breeding camps where they show you how to make the most money in the least amount of time and effort. I'm not sure if he still does it, since I don't follow him, but he smokes weed with his chams right next to, and on, him. Look him up in the search bar, there's not good feedback.

Just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't trust what Highlighter Chams says, they are believed to inbreed, don't use proper husbandry themselves, have bad ethics, and are more concerned about money vs the health of a cham. They sell tickets to breeding camps where they show you how to make the most money in the least amount of time and effort. I'm not sure if he still does it, since I don't follow him, but he smokes weed with his chams right next to, and on, him. Look him up in the search bar, there's not good feedback.
What breeders don’t you have a negative opinion about?
Oh no he smokes weed around his chams…he must be a bad breeder smh. This thread was about supplements. Not your personal opinion of a well known breeder. Which goes to say I haven’t seen any signs or implications of inbreeding. Why is there so much drama in this community?

I think from what I have seen the last 4 years in the forum with repashy calcium plus is mostly issues with females. They end up developing edema. Granted this can happen just with reproduction and their egg laying cycle as well.

I do not choose to use that version daily just because of the high volume of A and D3 in it. With these being fat soluble and really no one knowing if there are long term effects of over supplementation like this or damage that could be caused to the organs I choose to stay away from it.

But to each their own with the supplements they use. I think with all supplements you have to be mindful that the cham is an individual and could have an issue with it. I had this issue with Bee pollen. Just too dang much for my cham to handle and he developed edema. Removed the bee pollen and the edema went away. Never had an issue with edema since.

So just make an informed decision for what you think you want to use and try it. I choose to go the modest route with repashy calcium plus LoD 2 times a month and plain phos free calcium the rest of the time. This has worked well for my cham with the correct UVI level at basking.

What breeders don’t you have a negative opinion about?
Oh no he smokes weed around his chams…he must be a bad breeder smh. This thread was about supplements. Not your personal opinion of a well known breeder. Which goes to say I haven’t seen any signs or implications of inbreeding. Why is there so much drama in this community?
The smoke from weed, cigarettes, etc are very bad on the lungs of a chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom