Relatively new cham owner checking a couple of points

• Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon. Had him for 7 months. Most likely a year old now.
  • Handling - daily
  • Feeding - Mainly grasshoppers, but also Dubia roaches (to mix it up) and moria worms (as a treat). 2/3 hoppers a day originally. But it is dependent on what he has eaten that week. Fed in morning. Feeders are gut loaded with carrots, potatoes or greens for at least 2-3 days.
  • Supplements - repashy calcium plus, with most feeds.
  • Watering - Mist 3 times a day. See chameleon drink.
  • Fecal Description - normal. Although has been infrequent recently with him not eating.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Exo Terra X-tall large
  • Lighting - UVB and basking light. Both on from 8am-10pm
  • Temperature - Mid point 70 and basking point 80. Thermometers.
  • Humidity - 80 at night. Hydrometer
  • Plants - Yes - mixture. Banana plant, pothos
  • Placement - In living room. Not near radiator or window.
  • Location - UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repashy-Su...m+plus&qid=1574123392&sprefix=repashy+&sr=8-4 is this the one you advise I get? Will I be dusting them daily with this new one? Shall I use the other one at all in the future? Is there anything I can do to help him with D3 toxicity? My partner actually thought he might be constipated or dehydrated, so we’ve given him a shower already.
Yes, that is the correct one. There is nothing you can do other then wait it out for D3 toxicity. Since it stores in their fat and tissues it is not water soluble it can be stored in the body for a month from what I have read. If this is in fact what is going on. How long since he has eaten anything with a supplement on it? You will want to avoid using any supplements for a few weeks. If he has already not been eating the past week or so then that does help a bit. So you want to get him eating the next 2 weeks or so without any supplements at all. Then go back to dusting lightly.

At this point because of his age he should be eating every other day. They can get stubborn about food at this point as well. Mine at 9 months refused all food unless it was handfed. Even then I was lucky to get him to eat a few feeders a day.

I will go through your help form as well this morning. And start tagging in people to help you convert to bio active.

Yes, that is the correct one. There is nothing you can do other then wait it out for D3 toxicity. Since it stores in their fat and tissues it is not water soluble it can be stored in the body for a month from what I have read. If this is in fact what is going on. How long since he has eaten anything with a supplement on it? You will want to avoid using any supplements for a few weeks. If he has already not been eating the past week or so then that does help a bit. So you want to get him eating the next 2 weeks or so without any supplements at all. Then go back to dusting lightly.

At this point because of his age he should be eating every other day. They can get stubborn about food at this point as well. Mine at 9 months refused all food unless it was handfed. Even then I was lucky to get him to eat a few feeders a day.

I will go through your help form as well this morning. And start tagging in people to help you convert to bio active.

Thanks. He probably hasn't had any supplement for quite a while. We went on holiday and left him with my partner's parents. It was during this time that we updated his cage. They accidentally forgot to dust regularly, so that has helped too.

So for the next 2 weeks try to get him eating hoppers/roaches without any supplements. Then following this, start using the new supplement (with every feed?). I assume we should also avoid morio worms during these 2 weeks, as they are quite fatty too?

And yes to the bio active suggestion. Thanks
@GoodKarma19 @SharpShooter @snitz427 @JoXie411 @jamest0o0 @dshuld

OP is in the UK and was told to get the large exo terra. This is not currently bio active and he would like help to be able to set it up this way for his panther. We are still correcting and adjusting husbandry but right now he is just removing the dirt each month and replacing it. Nothing is planted in, no drainage layer, and no isopods.
The original thread he came here for help the end of July then on post #31 is the update when I started helping when he came back.

Additionally if you see anything I have not touched on with husbandry it would be greatly appreciated if you could point it out. :)

Thanks. He probably hasn't had any supplement for quite a while. We went on holiday and left him with my partner's parents. It was during this time that we updated his cage. They accidentally forgot to dust regularly, so that has helped too.

So for the next 2 weeks try to get him eating hoppers/roaches without any supplements. Then following this, start using the new supplement (with every feed?). I assume we should also avoid morio worms during these 2 weeks, as they are quite fatty too?
Yeah Morio are just so dang addicting lol. So you want to always keep those as a snack only. If you are cup feeding you can toss one in with the dubia. And yes this supplement you can use lightly at every feed. I am not saying that you for sure have D3 toxicity going on but it is a possibility. The change in the cage and him not feeling safe can also be it.

Now if your still feeding every day that could also be it. He may just not be hungry. They eat like machines when they are young and then slow down quite a bit when they are older.

It could be a parasite issue as well. If you have a vet you can take a fresh fecal in to get checked I would recommend it.

Quite a few things effect eating.

@GoodKarma19 @SharpShooter @snitz427 @JoXie411 @jamest0o0 @dshuld

OP is in the UK and was told to get the large exo terra. This is not currently bio active and he would like help to be able to set it up this way for his panther. We are still correcting and adjusting husbandry but right now he is just removing the dirt each month and replacing it. Nothing is planted in, no drainage layer, and no isopods.
The original thread he came here for help the end of July then on post #31 is the update when I started helping when he came back.

Additionally if you see anything I have not touched on with husbandry it would be greatly appreciated if you could point it out. :)

@GoodKarma19 would be a good one to share some drainage ideas, as I believe she is using an exo terra as well. I use open or screened enclosures so I drain into a pan below, which won't work for the exo terra. I believe a common solution is to create a small, hidden PVC pipe in a corner that feeds down to a a drainage layer. You can then use an aquarium pump to siphon out the funky water.

IMO people shy away from bioactive as it sounds so difficult and expensive to do... but it is such a time saver and major improvement. The hardest part is figuring out your drainage, which isn't too bad, just varies depending on your setup. Once your drainage is figured out, the rest comes easily and naturally.

• Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon. Had him for 7 months. Most likely a year old now.
  • Handling - daily
  • Feeding - Mainly grasshoppers, but also Dubia roaches (to mix it up) and moria worms (as a treat). 2/3 hoppers a day originally. But it is dependent on what he has eaten that week. Fed in morning. Feeders are gut loaded with carrots, potatoes or greens for at least 2-3 days.
  • Supplements - repashy calcium plus, with most feeds.
  • Watering - Mist 3 times a day. See chameleon drink.
  • Fecal Description - normal. Although has been infrequent recently with him not eating.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Exo Terra X-tall large
  • Lighting - UVB and basking light. Both on from 8am-10pm
  • Temperature - Mid point 70 and basking point 80. Thermometers.
  • Humidity - 80 at night. Hydrometer
  • Placement - In living room. Not near radiator or window.
  • Location - UK

Ok see feedback in red. I also have a few additional questions here. :)
  • Handling - daily
  • Feeding - Mainly grasshoppers, but also Dubia roaches (to mix it up) and moria worms (as a treat). 2/3 hoppers a day originally. But it is dependent on what he has eaten that week. Fed in morning. Feeders are gut loaded with carrots, potatoes or greens for at least 2-3 days. See image for variety in gutload. You need to switch off between things. This is important because we do not only feed to keep the insects alive but we want to feed with a variety of items because those nutrients get passed to the chameleon.
  • Supplements - repashy calcium plus, with most feeds. We covered this. Need to switch to LoD formula.
  • Watering - Mist 3 times a day. See chameleon drink. How long would you say your misting for and is this hand misting or do you have an auto mister set up?
  • Fecal Description - normal. Although has been infrequent recently with him not eating. I think a fecal is always a good idea to rule out parasites.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Exo Terra X-tall large I have tagged in people to help you with the bioactive portion for the cage.
  • Lighting - UVB and basking light. Both on from 8am-10pm Lighting types are correct however 8-10 is a bit long to run the lights for... I would do a 12 hour cycle.
  • Temperature - Mid point 70 and basking point 80. Thermometers. Are these wired in thermometers? What wattage is the basking lamp. I know your basking area is quite far down right now so this of course makes a difference in your highest temp. He should have a basking of 85-90 at his age.
  • Humidity - 80 at night. Hydrometer What is the daytime humidity level running?
  • Placement - In living room. Not near radiator or window. Need to find a cabinet to get it off the floor.
  • Location - UK
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Ok see feedback in red. I also have a few additional questions here. :)
  • Handling - daily
  • Feeding - Mainly grasshoppers, but also Dubia roaches (to mix it up) and moria worms (as a treat). 2/3 hoppers a day originally. But it is dependent on what he has eaten that week. Fed in morning. Feeders are gut loaded with carrots, potatoes or greens for at least 2-3 days. See image for variety in gutload. You need to switch off between things. This is important because we do not only feed to keep the insects alive but we want to feed with a variety of items because those nutrients get passed to the chameleon.
  • Supplements - repashy calcium plus, with most feeds. We covered this. Need to switch to LoD formula.
  • Watering - Mist 3 times a day. See chameleon drink. How long would you say your misting for and is this hand misting or do you have an auto mister set up?
  • Fecal Description - normal. Although has been infrequent recently with him not eating. I think a fecal is always a good idea to rule out parasites.
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Exo Terra X-tall large I have tagged in people to help you with the bioactive portion for the cage.
  • Lighting - UVB and basking light. Both on from 8am-10pm Lighting types are correct however 8-10 is a bit long to run the lights for... I would do a 12 hour cycle.
  • Temperature - Mid point 70 and basking point 80. Thermometers. Are these wired in thermometers? What wattage is the basking lamp. I know your basking area is quite far down right now so this of course makes a difference in your highest temp. He should have a basking of 85-90 at his age.
  • Humidity - 80 at night. Hydrometer What is the daytime humidity level running?
  • Placement - In living room. Not near radiator or window. Need to find a cabinet to get it off the floor.
  • Location - UK
View attachment 251676
Hand misting.

I will move his basking spot up.

I do mix the gutloads.

Noted for the rest of it.

Perfect and I believe my friend reached out to you about Bio active as well. He is amazing and can really help you dial in everything that way. Let us know if you have other questions. :)

Back
Top Bottom