Relatively new cham owner checking a couple of points

Thats the right fixture type. If you go with a reptibreeze cage I would get a 24 inch long light opposed to the 34 inch you linked.

Feeding cup I use is just a small deli cup. Most of the time the crickets stay inside. Never really had an issue with escapees.
When they do escape, it stimulates your Cham to go out there and hunt, it’s fun to watch.

From my experience, they don’t really shake all the dust off. That’s only if you leave them overnight. Has anyone used liquid calcium? I’ve seen it, but never used it.

It looks like you've gotten the advice that you need :) I'm on vacation and just wanted to get your thread on the right track! Follow the advice given to the T as incorrect husbandry can be detrimental to your new baby!

I didn't notice it mentioned earlier, but you should have the enclosure up off the floor if possible. He will feel much more secure being up higher than you. He's definitely a handsome fellow!

Hi, following on from the previous thread, I purchased a exo terra XL tall and got the light recommended. Since moving my cham in, he hasnt been eating properly. I usually feed him crickets, but he has only had one all week. He wasnt eating properly last week so I put in some worms which he happily ate.

I have that light and the basking light in one corner. The temp in the middle of the cage (on the side that doesnt have the basking light) is just below 70. So I believe that needs to be increased. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi. Being on somewhat of a budget, I bought an XL repti breeze 2x2x4 and have no complaints with it so far. I did add Dragon Strand ledges which makes it so much easier to secure branches and vines. Since chams like to climb high and hide, you do need to add more branches and greenery to the top half of your enclosure. Even though I feel like I don’t have as much greenery or branches as I would like, most of the time I have to search intently to find my cham. In my previous enclosure there was a good sized hole that I took advantage of to secure a small bowl type of feeding cup. Crickets had a hard time escaping it. It lacked drainage holes though so I was vigilant about keeping it clean/dry. Any crickets that did manage to escape always ended up climbing the screen and my girl seemed to enjoy the hunt.

My enclosure. (I have a girl so have a lay bin)
View attachment 241277
Love the canopy. The importance of Foliage up top to give your cham a sense of security as well as ample drinking surfaces is often overlooked or underappreciated but is indeed very important. Chams are so emotional :)

Hi, following on from the previous thread, I purchased a exo terra XL tall and got the light recommended. Since moving my cham in, he hasnt been eating properly. I usually feed him crickets, but he has only had one all week. He wasnt eating properly last week so I put in some worms which he happily ate.

I have that light and the basking light in one corner. The temp in the middle of the cage (on the side that doesnt have the basking light) is just below 70. So I believe that needs to be increased. Do you have any suggestions?
Hi there. I am coming in to your thread after your initial posting. Can you confirm your UVB lighting type and bulb strength with me.

70 ambient middle of enclosure is good. You want it cooler lower so he can get out of the heat.

Do you have pics of the new set up? That would be helpful to figure out what may be causing issues for your lil man.

Light packaging and then pictures of the light set up. He has a few more plants, branches and jungle vine in there, but just giving them a wash.

Attachments

• 2136B646-32EB-41E7-9BC8-AC2A6B8A39F9.jpeg
    2136B646-32EB-41E7-9BC8-AC2A6B8A39F9.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 7BD00B51-0B83-478A-87C9-508999D605EA.jpeg
    7BD00B51-0B83-478A-87C9-508999D605EA.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 0320FCB9-9B40-4CEE-8344-6806FF81FB9F.jpeg
    0320FCB9-9B40-4CEE-8344-6806FF81FB9F.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 126
Light packaging and then pictures of the light set up. He has a few more plants, branches and jungle vine in there, but just giving them a wash.
Ok your UVB is perfect. Are you adding more branches to the top of the enclosure? What is the temp at basking level? Also could you include pics of the entire enclosure for me? Also a new pic of your boy? He looked to be much older then a few months old in the last pic you posted.

How are you feeding him? What type of worms are you using that he was taking over the crickets?

Yes, bought this new tree tonight, as he got too heavy for a couple of his taller plants. That will go in with a couple of tall sticks and the fake vine, so that he’s got additional climbing space.

Picture of the worms. I’ve not fed him anymore worms since. He has eaten a few hoppers since, but not at his usual rate.

Basking temp is just over 80 (in the area that he can sit).

Prior to the switch, I would feed him in the morning and he would eat them straightaway/from my tongs/hands.

Attachments

• 62FF23B4-2EF1-4859-A12B-A8C7829E1FC9.jpeg
    62FF23B4-2EF1-4859-A12B-A8C7829E1FC9.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 122
  • EA9851FE-FB28-45FC-9FBC-61417F44D9D6.jpeg
    EA9851FE-FB28-45FC-9FBC-61417F44D9D6.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 0BA52B27-BF48-4B7F-A094-443F9470CD9D.jpeg
    0BA52B27-BF48-4B7F-A094-443F9470CD9D.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 98AC2122-4B7C-43E4-8EDD-09B2FDC1406D.jpeg
    98AC2122-4B7C-43E4-8EDD-09B2FDC1406D.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 888264C7-F1A6-49AC-9BE4-249FE9734CE0.jpeg
    888264C7-F1A6-49AC-9BE4-249FE9734CE0.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 8E96D22C-91F6-4540-8244-D49C9314F65B.jpeg
    8E96D22C-91F6-4540-8244-D49C9314F65B.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 70
Yes, bought this new tree tonight, as he got too heavy for a couple of his taller plants. That will go in with a couple of tall sticks and the fake vine, so that he’s got additional climbing space.

Picture of the worms. I’ve not fed him anymore worms since. He has eaten a few hoppers since, but not at his usual rate.

Basking temp is just over 80 (in the area that he can sit).

Prior to the switch, I would feed him in the morning and he would eat them straightaway/from my tongs/hands.
Ok first off how often are you using the repashy calcium plus? When did you introduce this? And is this the only supplement or are you using others? This has a much higher level of D3 in it. D3 is fat soluble so it stores in the tissues. It can make them very sick and actually overdose them. They will slow down, have low appetite to no appetite, weight loss, and even sleeping during the day.

We only recommend and use repashy calcium plus LoD for Veiled and Panthers as the only supplement. Lightly dusted at each feeding. It looks like this one. https://www.store.repashy.com/calcium-plus-lod-6-oz-jar.html

The more vines, branches, and plants you can get into the top half of the enclosure the better. They primarily stay in the top half of their vivs. You want his basking height to be about 8-9 inches away from the T5 to get the right UVB levels. Higher will be too strong unless you lift the light an inch or two off the viv. If you can build a frame work in the viv of branches with zip ties your going to have an easier time getting your height.

It looks like you have dirt on the bottom and plants in pots... Are you running a bio active set up with isopods?

Morios are fine for feeding. Just remember they are a bit like crack for chams. They get hooked on them very easily and will refuse other food.

This was introduced at the start of August, following feedback in here on another post. This is the only supplement I use, and I dust the hoppers in a container and then put them in the enclosure. Are you saying I shouldn't be doing this? He has been less active during the day, but he has not had any of the repashy supplement for a couple of weeks now (as it has dusted off by the time he eats).

Yes, I plan on building him a frame. The UVB is slightly off the frame, so I have factored this in.

No set up on the bottom. I change the soil about once a month.

Yes, I am aware about that for Morios, and we do limit him on those. It's a weekly treat, at a maximum.

Thank you for your help so far by the way.

This was introduced at the start of August, following feedback in here on another post. This is the only supplement I use, and I dust the hoppers in a container and then put them in the enclosure. Are you saying I shouldn't be doing this? He has been less active during the day, but he has not had any of the repashy supplement for a couple of weeks now (as it has dusted off by the time he eats).

Yes, I plan on building him a frame. The UVB is slightly off the frame, so I have factored this in.

No set up on the bottom. I change the soil about once a month.

Yes, I am aware about that for Morios, and we do limit him on those. It's a weekly treat, at a maximum.

Thank you for your help so far by the way.
Your welcome. Ok we need to toss that supplement. It is the calcium plus LoD one you want that I gave you the link for. It has the picture of the jackson's cham on the front. This one will not over supplement with D3 the way your current one can. Unfortunately these two are really easy to confuse so I always try to give a link.
So the LoD formula you will use at every feeding.

I think it would be really really beneficial for you to covert this enclosure to a totally bio active one. If you have interest in this I would be happy to tag others in that could help you. Unfortunately right now having the dirt in the bottom it is just a breeding ground for the bacteria to grow like crazy. With it being bioactive everything is planted and there is a drainage layer. You add isopods and CUC to it and they are your cleaning crew bugs. So let me know if this is something you would like to learn more about for him.

I have a feeling there may have been some D3 toxicity going on with him also I think the new cage is effecting him since your still needing to dial in his environment so it is more comfortable for him to thrive in. But I would love a bit more info to make sure I am not missing anything important.

Would you be open to filling out a new help form for me with all your updated info since you changed the cage :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Back
Top Bottom