Red Night Light?

serenaj25

Avid Member
so I just got a 2 week old ambilobe panther chameleon, and I read on some places that its a good idea to have a red heat bulb for the night time for these guys since they are from Madagascar and its pretty hot there. just wanted to hear your input on whether or not I should use one

Unless its dropping way below 60f, no night light.

Id say the only reason for a night light (or IR plate) would be if daily temps were below 70 AND the cham did not have access to a heat lamp to get body temps to the upper 80's.

Id say ideal would be ranges would be 55-65 and night and 70-80 for day temps.

You start bucking upper 80's during the day for weeks, you will need some kind of misting system for cooling
If night drops do not drop below 75 ,again you are going to develop problems.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/MATI0917:1:MA

For the next week the home land will have highs just kissing 80f, and regular nights below 60.

Lizards have better eyesight than many other animals and can more specifically see color more well and vibrant than humans. Putting a light on your chameleon at night only disturbs their sleeping patterns. Most houses (not sure about your specific situation) are warm enough at night for chameleons to stay at a good temp. Putting a light on your Cham should only be put on a Cham at night if you have a colder house.

Unless its dropping way below 60f, no night light.

Id say the only reason for a night light (or IR plate) would be if daily temps were below 70 AND the cham did not have access to a heat lamp to get body temps to the upper 80's.

No night light at all. If it's that cold then a ceramic heater is best. You want nothing that emits any form of light that the cham can detect. I'm not sure I agree about the rest of the stuff you said, but staying on topic, no lights of any kind at night.

No night light at all. If it's that cold then a ceramic heater is best. You want nothing that emits any form of light that the cham can detect. I'm not sure I agree about the rest of the stuff you said, but staying on topic, no lights of any kind at night.

Purhaps i miss worded. I too do not recommend a light emitted bulb at night, even if its for heating up the cage. I thought OP had an IR bulb or one that puts out very little light.

My fixtures have reflectors, if the room isnt dimm enough he can see himself in them, and natural issues happen...

Back
Top Bottom