Red mite and chameleons

Mad Dog Murphy

Established Member
So I had a thought last night after researching isopods etc for my clean up crew, I keep lots of chickens here on my land and my number one enemy is not the fox or pine Martin but the dreaded red mite, once it’s taken hold in coups it’s near impossible to get rid of, more a case of control.
so got me thinking , can it find its way in and take up residence in a bioative terrarium?

Yes, it can. :( I somehow got them in my roach bins and it was a pain to eliminate them. They never got into my enclosures, thank God. The worst that I noticed was that they decimated my springtails in the roach bins.

thank goodness they didn’t get in the enclosure, that Would be a nightmare,Im going to have to be very careful now I know, at least with a chicken you can Put the treatment in there drinking water, that’s not going to work with a chameleon.

So after some research I find that a very effective way of ridding red mite is by using a predator mite, there are 2 species called Androlis and Taurrus, they will decimate other mite and there only food source is other mite! Easily controlled as when food source is gone they die out, be mindful that a constant high temperature(30c plus) will also kill them so if anyone where to use them in there terrarium they would only need to lower it a little if at all depending on what your keeping, also you would Most likely need to replace your springtails, it’s definitely worth taking note just in case, I will be trying it soon on a infested coup, will post results here for those who maybe interested.

Back
Top Bottom