Red Light

No light or heat at night!!!!!!!! Especially for veileds!!!!!!
Gads, I get tired of posting this.
50 degrees f. is fine for them at night.
In their natural habitat the winter temps go down to 32.

-Brad

My goodness I used a lot of exclamation points last night.
Sorry for screaming :rolleyes:

-Brad

Didnt mean to ruffle any feathers....but it does dip down below 62 in my basement......

Thanks for the input

I must take issue with the idea that chameleons wont bask under a red lamp. My first chameleon had a red light basking spot and she basked under it all of the time. I believe that chameleons puruse their territory enough to be able to figure out which areas are warm and which are not and will tend to bask in the warm area whether or not there is a light of a certain color there. I used that red bulb for about two years with her before switching to a regular incandescent bulb. The switch didn't change her basking behaviours in the least. If you think about it, your reptisun bulb is white light like the sun, so why does your cham differentiate and bask under the warm light? Because they found their hot spot by lurking around their enclosures, remember where it is, and bask there. If it were just the light color they were looking for, they would bask under the reptisun, never bothering to find the basking heat spot.

I never used the red bulb for night heat, I used it because it was what I had, and it worked fine. Granted now I am not using red bulbs, but I don't believe for a minute that chameleons can't figure out where the heat is. Just my two cents :p.

No light or heat at night!!!!!!!! Especially for veileds!!!!!!
Gads, I get tired of posting this.
50 degrees f. is fine for them at night.
In their natural habitat the winter temps go down to 32.

-Brad

hello brad, this is an older post, but i do have question, you clearly feel very strongly about this temp being ok for veileds.........but what about panthers? i have an adult male ambilobe cross......my cage gets down to 60, or just below, at night time here in the winter ( alberta canada).........wondered if an infa-red light would bother this guy, or if i even need it..........

im confused on how a regular incodesant heat bulb has any difference of "blindness" that a compact uvb does? SOMONES please answer this...casue im using a incodesant heat lamp ( basking spot)

The way they work is different, chemical make up of a CFL and a tungsten incandescent are different, what they emmit/give off is different.

Incandescent heat bulb = safe
CFL = some unsafe, some maybe okay, dont use cuz you cant tell the difference and testing is incomplete

i was using a exotera 5.0 compact uvb/a....when i registerd i found out about the dangers...i feel so bad ...like a failed parent lol. thanks anyways i got the tube uvb/a bulbs now. Yogg Saron ( my cham) is saved!

hello brad, this is an older post, but i do have question, you clearly feel very strongly about this temp being ok for veileds.........but what about panthers? i have an adult male ambilobe cross......my cage gets down to 60, or just below, at night time here in the winter ( alberta canada).........wondered if an infa-red light would bother this guy, or if i even need it..........

I can't comment on the panther night time low temp limit... but I can back Brad up about the veileds. I have two of mine outside and it gets down to the mid to upper 50's right now and they seem to be doing just fine. On a cooler night I turn on ceramic heat emitters that are on top of each cage. I don't find them going to the heaters at night... but I imagine it helps a little. I plan to buy the ReptileUV heat projectors pretty soon... they have more direction and less power consumption.

As for 000st16.... a heat lamp and a compact fluorecent are two completely different types of light. One is a filiment becoming white hot and emmitting heat and light... and a fluorescent is similar in that it has a filament but it ignites gasses inside of the tube causing metals and gas to collide and things happen and yadda yadda.... and you get light.... BUT because of the activity inside of the tube all kinds of UV radiation is generated.... the glass, or quartz along with a phospher filters out the bad UV ratiation and only lets out the right stuff...

Some companies get it wrong and the wrong 'stuff' or UV comes out and you have issues.

I can't comment on the panther night time low temp limit... but I can back Brad up about the veileds. I have two of mine outside and it gets down to the mid to upper 50's right now and they seem to be doing just fine. On a cooler night I turn on ceramic heat emitters that are on top of each cage. I don't find them going to the heaters at night... but I imagine it helps a little. I plan to buy the ReptileUV heat projectors pretty soon... they have more direction and less power consumption.

As for 000st16.... a heat lamp and a compact fluorecent are two completely different types of light. One is a filiment becoming white hot and emmitting heat and light... and a fluorescent is similar in that it has a filament but it ignites gasses inside of the tube causing metals and gas to collide and things happen and yadda yadda.... and you get light.... BUT because of the activity inside of the tube all kinds of UV radiation is generated.... the glass, or quartz along with a phospher filters out the bad UV ratiation and only lets out the right stuff...

Some companies get it wrong and the wrong 'stuff' or UV comes out and you have issues.

thanks summoner........i figured they wouldnt be wandering up to the light at night time, but i had the feeling that the ambient temp in the cage is too cold for a panther..........i knew veileds could get lower temps, but didnt think it was good for panthers...........this will be my first winter with a panther, so i kind of need some help here with temps at night.........like i said before, they can dip below 60, sometimes around 57........i know the infa red lights are used by some, and not by some, but i wondered if it will hurt him in any way? is it ok to try for a few nights and see what he does?

thanks summoner........i figured they wouldnt be wandering up to the light at night time, but i had the feeling that the ambient temp in the cage is too cold for a panther..........i knew veileds could get lower temps, but didnt think it was good for panthers...........this will be my first winter with a panther, so i kind of need some help here with temps at night.........like i said before, they can dip below 60, sometimes around 57........i know the infa red lights are used by some, and not by some, but i wondered if it will hurt him in any way? is it ok to try for a few nights and see what he does?

do you use red heat lamps at night? if so, don't. They can see them. so.. it's light 24/7.... not good. They need to have a dark cage at night.

The ceramic heaters are the best way to heat at night due to the fact tha they don't give off light. However a 100watt ceramic does get quite a bit hotter than a 100 watt red bulb. They can see the red light just like us and they will stay awake a lot later if it is on and not sleep very deeply. However I just put them in the far top corner of the cages which are 6ft x 3ft x 3ft and they are far enoguh away and blocked by the foliage at teh top so the light doesn't get to teh chams that are sleeping but still keeps teh cage a good 4 or 5 degrees warmer at night. They are alright if they red light doesn't light up the chams sleeping area, mine seem to ignore the red light in the corner at night until they wake up in the morning and go turn dark and flatten themselves out to bask under it int he moring before they go to bask for their UVB.

Justin

a red heat lamp is what i bought today..........i havent used it yet , but im concerned about his night time temps getting too low in the alberta winter months......cant crank the heat in the whole house just for Jude........bill would be outrageous.........just wondering what will happen if i use it? will he stay awake?

The ceramic heaters are the best way to heat at night due to the fact tha they don't give off light. However a 100watt ceramic does get quite a bit hotter than a 100 watt red bulb. They can see the red light just like us and they will stay awake a lot later if it is on and not sleep very deeply. However I just put them in the far top corner of the cages which are 6ft x 3ft x 3ft and they are far enoguh away and blocked by the foliage at teh top so the light doesn't get to teh chams that are sleeping but still keeps teh cage a good 4 or 5 degrees warmer at night. They are alright if they red light doesn't light up the chams sleeping area, mine seem to ignore the red light in the corner at night until they wake up in the morning and go turn dark and flatten themselves out to bask under it int he moring before they go to bask for their UVB.

Justin

my Jude sleeps under his trees, he would be blocked by the leaves..........i may give this a try then.........

So I went outside to take a temp reading on my ceramic heaters.... 100w ceramic heater on at about 2/3rds power is 450*F........ it is about 55*F outside right now and putting my hand in the cage it isn't all that bad... maybe 65? you can feel the heat coming down off the heaters.... but if there is any wind I am sure it is just blown away.

Back
Top Bottom