Recommend a Reliable Incubator...

bigian

I'm looking for an incubator to hatch Silkworm Eggs as well as to incubate panther eggs should the time come.

I'm aware of the HovaBator, and the LLL one but I've read about malfunctions with these. I'm seeing some lab grade ones on eBay but I'm not sure if that's overboard.

Can anyone offer some insight? Do I even need an incubator?

Incubating panther eggs:

rubbermaid box (opaque)
Tupperwear containers
vermiculite

place vermiculite (in correct ratio with water) inside tupperwear.. after the eggs have been placed, put them in the rubbermaid box. add about an inch of water in the rubbermaid box.

the water will act as the ocean does in our planet. Since it takes longer to cool down and heat up than air, it'll help maintain a more or less constant temperature in the rubbermaid box. Place in a closet and you're done.

Won't they do best with a consistent temperature?

I've read over and over about that method but I'd be concerned that they'd get too hot or cold...

I've kept my eggs like that and so have many other people. People have had eggs in high temperatures and very low ones and still hatch. If you have a thermometer (preferably the ones that have the sensor attached by a cord and the read out somewhere else) you'll be able to keep track and make adjustments as needed. Its easy to heat up and cool down that rubbermaid box. if its hot, add some ice cubes.. if its cold, add some warm water. simple.

You wont have problems doing it this way. Trusting one of those incubators will give you trouble as they are very unreliable and will most likely cook your eggs.

I've kept my eggs like that and so have many other people. People have had eggs in high temperatures and very low ones and still hatch. If you have a thermometer (preferably the ones that have the sensor attached by a cord and the read out somewhere else) you'll be able to keep track and make adjustments as needed. Its easy to heat up and cool down that rubbermaid box. if its hot, add some ice cubes.. if its cold, add some warm water. simple.

You wont have problems doing it this way. Trusting one of those incubators will give you trouble as they are very unreliable and will most likely cook your eggs.

when my digital incubators are taking craps and failing..i use the old tubber ware method.....in the wild the temps will vary from warm to cool..in an incubator we just try in effectivley re-create that..personally if i use mu digi's this is my set up..

75 to start, 2 months in i go "cold" for diapause..two months of 70 then as the last months (i say that in hopes with all my clutches, in the hopes i have timed them right)so 2 or 3 at the cooler temp, them i raise them 1 dgegree every two weeks till i hit 75 or so again..them wait..i usually gives me 8 month times..sucks to wait but i have no clue what makes them hatch fast or slow..

keep in mind..the "closet technique" is still the best..say if i have an incubator fail they go in the tupperware bins(consists of one real large bin..water around the bottoms, and small tupper ware with vermeculite, super hatch(with i love for geckos n stuff , they hold humidity easy) or hatch-rite..with lids , five small holes, dice pattern..and refill with water every two weeks, and mist inside once a week..thats the "ol' fashioned way"

good luck!!

when my digital incubators are taking craps and failing..i use the old tubber ware method.....in the wild the temps will vary from warm to cool..in an incubator we just try in effectivley re-create that..personally if i use mu digi's this is my set up..

75 to start, 2 months in i go "cold" for diapause..two months of 70 then as the last months (i say that in hopes with all my clutches, in the hopes i have timed them right)so 2 or 3 at the cooler temp, them i raise them 1 dgegree every two weeks till i hit 75 or so again..them wait..i usually gives me 8 month times..sucks to wait but i have no clue what makes them hatch fast or slow..

keep in mind..the "closet technique" is still the best..say if i have an incubator fail they go in the tupperware bins(consists of one real large bin..water around the bottoms, and small tupper ware with vermeculite, super hatch(with i love for geckos n stuff , they hold humidity easy) or hatch-rite..with lids , five small holes, dice pattern..and refill with water every two weeks, and mist inside once a week..thats the "ol' fashioned way"

good luck!!

no need for holes in the lids

no need for holes in the lids

really..i get too much condensation where i am..????

maybe then monitor for a few days to make sure they dont over condensate or drip on the eggs that will def. mold on ya

edit: good mentioning..as too many holes will dry you up, too little will mold you...

cham eggs are like chams- do best with fluctuating temperatures. I keep mine in a cabinet under a bathroom sink.

Also- condensation- if you have too much condensation, you have too much moisture in your incubating substrate. I don't use holes in my lids- makes life much easier.

incubator- I found the best are the ones I make myself. I don't generally use them for chameleons, but I do for other lizards. I use spyder robotics herpstat pro for the controllers and the biggest coolers I can find for the incubators. My incubators can hold hundreds of eggs each, yet keep a constant consistent temp throughout, and the herpstat has some neat features like alarms, hook up to the internet and will call your cell phone if there is a problem. Even when I use a havobator for something a bit different (like my australian water dragon eggs at the moment- I only have a few and they need a different temperature than most of my other eggs), I hook it up to the herpstat pro for very precise incubation temperature control.

The old fashion way is a proven method. If your asking about the difference about incubators on the market then of course the professional grade incubators are the best. Hobby incubators arent as bad as most people make them out to be. I have read all the problems people have but I use the MR-148 from LLL for my eggs and it works great. I've had it going for almost two years now and it's perfectly fine. The only thing is the machine is set to 76 and the thermometer I leave inside reads a degree lower at 75. Nothing a little adjusting can't fix. It holds the temp great though. Thru the spikes of summer heat and cold winter nights. That's just my experience with them. It also makes life a little easier than the old fashion way.

Back
Top Bottom