receptive coloration in veiled females

I have a veiled female that is apparently cycling an infertile clutch of eggs
(her first clutch). I have bred several species of chameleons before but this is my first time attempting to breed veileds. I kept looking for the blue spots on her casque and body that I had read were indicators of receptivity but I never witnessed any change whatsoever in her overall coloration. I was waiting to see the "receptive" blue spots before introducing her to a friend's male but it now appears that I have missed the window of opportunity. Are the robin's egg blue spots the main indicators of receptivity or should I have been looking for something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would hate to waste another opportunity with her.

I have two that went receptive 5 days apart. Before this happened they had different colorations. One was totally leaf green and the other had some black on her green. I first noticed the all green one getting coloration. Her casque had blue stripes and then she developed spots. The other one didn't get such obvious blue coloration, but her normal color changed dramatically. I guess you just have to be aware of what is normal and what is different. Putting the female with the male is a great way to tell! LOL My male immediately went to the female and she was happy to see him.

if your not seeing the blue and you dont have a male to show her then i have also found that my female is not as mean (no hissing or open mouth)when i put my hand in her cage when she is receptive. so maybe you can test her out this way before having your friends male over for the party. unless she is always nice, then i dont know?

My female didn't change at all (that I noticed) and the only way I could tell is if she freaked out when I put a male near her cage.

Color Variations

Some females dont show receptivity as much as others.
The blue along the casque and back are the easiest ways to tell.
You could also look in the gular region, this is also very blue.

This should help you out.

Receptive:
Breeding003.jpg

Not Receptive:
005.jpg

Gravid/unreceptive
Chester070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom