Rango is thriving...but my ivy is dying!

GarynTampa

Are there any plant nutrient suppliments that are safe to use for both plants and Chams?

I have a large Ivy plant in my 53" tall inside enclosure. It was thick and leafy, but now, the large leaves are falling off every time Rango climbs around.

I water the plant ~ 2 times a week and my MistKing is set for 2 minute cycles, 4 times a day.

I'm looking for a watering bottle that you fill and invert in the soil to provide extra water as the soil dries out, hoping it IS a lack of water problem.

I went and bought another plant today and the salesperson advised me to use a nutrient product (Miracle Grow brand) as large plants in small containers remove a lot of nutrients from the soil quickly.

Apparently, I can take care of Cham, but lack in plant care skills.

I have a 20" plant grow flourescent bulb in the front/top of the enclosure. The top part of the ivy takes up a lot of the light and I have fresh growth (new leafs and stems) on the top, but the mid to bottom of the plant are thinning out like crazy.

Due to the 24" cage depth and only 4-1/2 inches of clearance on top, I am limited to room for any additional top-mounted lighting.

The back 1/2 of the cage top is the ZooMed Triple light (Reptisun 5.0, and 2 incandescent basking bulbs.

Does this sound like a lack of water problem OR a lack of sufficient plant light?

Thanks for your comments!

Gary
Tampa, FL

I dont recommend fertilizing, but if you feel you must, try a liquid organic. Neptune's Harvest makes a nice sea weed fretilizer.

If you choose to fertilize PLEASE cover the soil up with large pebbles/rocks so your cham cant get impacted... AND make sure the rocks are to big for your cham to ingest!

Are you sure it's not being over watered? Does the plant have adequate drainage?

You might want to look into switching out your incandescent for one that's geared more toward plants like the Reptisun 2.0. It's meant to be used in conjunction with the 5.0.

Back
Top Bottom