Raising domesticated crickets

Montezuma

Has anyone ever had success with breeding and culturing their own domestic crickets? I used to breed crickets back in the day, I hated it. However, after buying 500 crickets from Lucky Lure at the Columbia reptile show a week ago, I have decided to start back up, tons of females have already layed eggs in some moist potting soil/sand/coconut fiber mixture and I am actually about to place it in a separate container, just figured I'd see what you guys have to say. I also believe my female xantholophus is gravid, so baby crix would be useful.

I have only manage to breed crickets one time. I used the article from chameleon news by Don Wells that was mentioned in the previous post. When I was finally successful it looked like I had a bunch of little ants.My husband thought I was weird because I emailed him to let him know I finally had baby crickets.My chameleons eat them up so fast I have never been able to do it again.

I have raised and bred the black crickets before, they were a hassle, I am going to try and breed crickets again. Especially since I have little neonate xantholophus on the way. Just pulled the egg laying container out of the box of crix, I can see tons of long eggs on top even, I placed the little bowl they layed eggs in a large container and put a new bowl of substrate in the box, I'm hoping for quite a few baby crickets that will keep me from buying crickets every week. I have about 350 crix left of my 500, so it gives me time for the little guys to grow up and be fed.

...layed eggs in some moist potting soil/sand/coconut fiber mixture and I am actually about to place it in a separate container...
Howdy,
I found that keeping the soil at around 80F and moist but not wet, produced around 500-1000 pinheads from ~30 females. It took about 14 days at that temp and a lot longer ( ~30 days at 65-70F) when it was cooler.

Be sure to take out the females after 24 hours of egg laying.

Back
Top Bottom