Raising domesticated crickets

Montezuma

Has anyone ever had success with breeding and culturing their own domestic crickets? I used to breed crickets back in the day, I hated it. However, after buying 500 crickets from Lucky Lure at the Columbia reptile show a week ago, I have decided to start back up, tons of females have already layed eggs in some moist potting soil/sand/coconut fiber mixture and I am actually about to place it in a separate container, just figured I'd see what you guys have to say. I also believe my female xantholophus is gravid, so baby crix would be useful.

cookiegirl

I have only manage to breed crickets one time. I used the article from chameleon news by Don Wells that was mentioned in the previous post. When I was finally successful it looked like I had a bunch of little ants.My husband thought I was weird because I emailed him to let him know I finally had baby crickets.My chameleons eat them up so fast I have never been able to do it again.

Montezuma

I have raised and bred the black crickets before, they were a hassle, I am going to try and breed crickets again. Especially since I have little neonate xantholophus on the way. Just pulled the egg laying container out of the box of crix, I can see tons of long eggs on top even, I placed the little bowl they layed eggs in a large container and put a new bowl of substrate in the box, I'm hoping for quite a few baby crickets that will keep me from buying crickets every week. I have about 350 crix left of my 500, so it gives me time for the little guys to grow up and be fed.

Dave Weldon

Avid Member
...layed eggs in some moist potting soil/sand/coconut fiber mixture and I am actually about to place it in a separate container...
Howdy,
I found that keeping the soil at around 80F and moist but not wet, produced around 500-1000 pinheads from ~30 females. It took about 14 days at that temp and a lot longer ( ~30 days at 65-70F) when it was cooler.

Be sure to take out the females after 24 hours of egg laying.

Top Bottom