Raising a Jackson in a Paludarium

Jack keeper

Hi there. New to this forum. Just wanted to share my experience with raising a Jack in an unusual setting. I think I may get some hate messages for even mentioning a glass tank. Since I have about 6 inches of water, I am using a former cichlids tank 48 24 24. 120 gal. Ventilation is a key issue with glass, so I have 3 fans going (computer fans are great). Interestingly the Jack has completely adapted to an aquatic lifestyle, spending hours immersed when shedding , and can hold his breath close to 2 minutes looking around at the fishes. They are poor swimmers so providing branches is key. Water helps clean his eyes ( it is filtered with a powerful tank filter) and he can stay hydrated, go bask and come back for a swim. I have had Jack for 5 months and he is doing very well. Diet mostly flies , crickets and caterpillars from the yard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,523
Are you for real, or just trolling on by? Submersing them certainly wouldn't help with shedding - the skin needs to dry out so it can fall off. Raising humidity helps with the process, soaking them does not. If this post is serious (I am thinking most definitely not) then I apologise, but the fact remains that there are some serious issues with your keeping skills!

Are you for real, or just trolling on by? Submersing them certainly wouldn't help with shedding - the skin needs to dry out so it can fall off. Raising humidity helps with the process, soaking them does not. If this post is serious (I am thinking most definitely not) then I apologise, but the fact remains that there are some serious issues with your keeping skills!

second that^ and I´ll be back on why

I'd like to point out that he is doing the soaking on his own and seems to enjoy it. I may have been wrong with the shedding, I have not seen dried up skin on him, but since he grew by more than an inch, I would assume he had to shed. You are welcome to question my keeping skills, but how do you explain the fact that he is thriving? He is very active, eats plenty and does not exhibit any stress signs.

Hi there. New to this forum. Just wanted to share my experience with raising a Jack in an unusual setting. I think I may get some hate messages for even mentioning a glass tank. Since I have about 6 inches of water, I am using a former cichlids tank 48 24 24. 120 gal. Ventilation is a key issue with glass, so I have 3 fans going (computer fans are great). Interestingly the Jack has completely adapted to an aquatic lifestyle, spending hours immersed when shedding , and can hold his breath close to 2 minutes looking around at the fishes. They are poor swimmers so providing branches is key. Water helps clean his eyes ( it is filtered with a powerful tank filter) and he can stay hydrated, go bask and come back for a swim. I have had Jack for 5 months and he is doing very well. Diet mostly flies , crickets and caterpillars from the yard.

You are doing something I did about 30 yrs ago. Even with fish in the tank and such. The Cham did ok for almost a year, then tanked. Since you are set on this course, you'll gain the same sad exp I did. Watch for bumps.

I understand where your coming from. But just to be safe, You can place a screen cage on top, (horizontally) to also have a larger area on top, with adequate air flow and to minimize his trips to the water, even though he is willingly going dipping himself.
Good luck!

Appreciate the feedback. Nice to know there are people on this forum who can discuss things without throwing insults. Like you said, I am set on this course. Will check back a year from now and hopefully will have some good news. Aside from the risk of drowning, what is so bad for the Cham to take trips to the water?

the thing is, wind draft is not good for chameleons. In nature they try to avoid it and the wind is not blowing all the time. chameleons can get sick if exposed to wind for too long.

Now water while, standing water is the perfect ground for bacteria breeding, chameleons had not evolved to deal with water formations so close to them due the fact they live up in trees and not need to build up a immune system to deal with it. This is why people say not to waterfall too, the like to pop in water and a filter does not dealt with bacteria a filter actually helps the bacteria to thrive due aquariums need the bacteria.

I learned this the hard way.

now imagen you have experience the fall of your jackson due this bad practice, and then you saw a new member starting a threat with the same enclosure that killed you animal. What would you say to him? people here are not talking of the back of their heads, they are talking from experience and from the research it have being done after the big failures done 20 years ago. Please listing and go with an dummy proof enclosure for your chameleon..

I’ve had my Jackson’s in a paludarium for a year and a half with some guppies in the base. He pretty much ignores them, and the water in general. There is moderate ventilation, a fogger, and a small sponge filter in a sump. He eats bluebottle flies and very small crickets. I also have some java moss in the water, along with 2 live water plants and some other tropical plants above, with one big grapewood branch. He’s doing just fine. A large part of it is airflow (no wind) and fog in the am for three hours.

Back
Top Bottom