Raise chameleon is dangerous for pregnant woman and little baby?

angss79

My wife pregnant.

Is it ok? Raise male veild chamaeleon in same house(not same room)
with little baby?

In here(S.Korea) there r no one who raise reptile wiith small baby..
So I cant find aby info about this TOPIC.

plz help me

Youll be completely fine some chameleons can be kind of aggressive but if you get him used to people he will be just fine. In terms of being ok with the baby who knows the baby could grow up loving the chameleon I havent met to many people that dont love chameleons

If you are really worried about the baby or your wife getting sick, just use hand sanitizer before and after you handle the chameleon or its supplies. Also, you can get a fecal done to make sure it doesn't have parasites. Then, if it does, you can treat it so it won't be able to infect you or your family. You should be completely fine with a chameleon and a baby..have fun!

If you are really worried about the baby or your wife getting sick, just use hand sanitizer before and after you handle the chameleon or its supplies. Also, you can get a fecal done to make sure it doesn't have parasites. Then, if it does, you can treat it so it won't be able to infect you or your family. You should be completely fine with a chameleon and a baby..have fun!

No it can hurt the cham if you use hand sanitizer and then hold it. Just be sure to wash your hand (or use hand sanitizer) after every holding.

I'm not sure if the poster means holding the chameleon then the baby or just the chameleon being in the same room as the baby..

My wife pregnant.

Is it ok? Raise male veild chamaeleon in same house(not same room)
with little baby?...
Howdy,

Many doctors have concerns about keeping reptiles in the presence of pregnant women and babies because of the risk of salmonella bacteria transmission. Keepers must always assume that their reptiles are carrying salmonella bacteria and that is why we wash our hands after handling any reptile, chameleons included. I believe that the same thing applies with bird keeping, including chickens.

Years ago, I adopted a Leopard Gecko from a pregant woman who was warned by her doctor about the potential risks of the bacteria :eek:. (I still have the Gecko :).)

Like Dave said, one paper (I used to post in the past) stated that there are 3 types of salmonella strains found in a single chameleon enclosure they tested.
So, quarantine the chameleon well and always practice cleanliness after you care for the chameleon. Wash your hands well (better yet wear gloves). I would not let your pregnant wife or your baby go near the chameleon's room just to be safe.

Take care of cleaning the cage yourself and make sure you wash up well. Under the circumstance, I would say that after being in the chameleon cage, you should a) wash up to the elbows with soap and water and b) use a hand sanitizer (make sure to get your thumb...people seem to forget that digit). As noted, don't use hand sanitizer before handling the chameleon...it's probably a good idea to wash up with at least water before to wash off any other animal dander or fabric you might have on your hands, but touching a chameleon when you might have alcohol gel under your fingernails is probably not the best plan.

To be honest, the most dangerous pet for a pregnant woman is probably a cat, but people don't even give that a second thought. Kitty poop is very dangerous to pregnant women...more so, probably, than chameleon poop.

You're right to be concerned. It shows you're a good husband/father (I have a friend who's husband made her clean the kitty litter when she was pregnant because he didn't believe "all that stuff").

Having been pregnant, I don't think being in the room with the chameleons would be a problem. I've never read of salmonella being air borne... I just think the cage wall should be considered "the line" and the pregnant woman should not cross the line nor touch anything from the other side of the line. Anyone who crosses the line should be thoroughly clean before coming into contact with the woman.

Good luck and have fun with the new baby!

**edited to add**

I would not let your pregnant wife or your baby go near the chameleon's room just to be safe.

Definitely prevent your baby from exploring the chameleon's without you. While you should not command your wife to take care of your chameleons, it would be really wrong of you to forbid her to go near the chameleons...

Dictating her movements will not make you her friend. Explain the dangers and the procedures that are needed to be safe. She will not want to risk the baby. But, she would really hate you ordering her to stay away. As you have a child, I'm sure you know how well pregnant women take to being ordered about.

I have a 6 month old baby and a chameleon ... like everyone says, keep your hands clean! That's it. My baby is healthy as can be and my cham does not come in direct contact with my baby. Use caution but enjoy!!

In ancient folklore, great harm will come to the baby if a reptile is in its presence.

Yes but we are way beyond that nonsense now. I have seen more pregnant women & babies are reptile shows than I care to count. Haven't heard of any problems for that, but as we all should do, make sure the chameleon area, all of the things used with the chameleon, and you after touching the chameleon are carefully cleaned.

Well...I think ancient lore has meaning. In this case it means that they recognized there were issues with reptiles. We've learned how to deal with those issues.

The ancient lore protected many women and children so should not be dismissed. Ancient lore is the beginning of modern science.

i have a one month old and i got dave (male veiled) moments before we found out the Mrs was pregnant, always wash my hands after i have handled anything inside his house or any feeders not had any issues yet.:)

Keep your hands clean and you'll be fine! Just be sure to use caution around the baby if for some reason you have them near each other.

what about chicken?

I'm pretty sure that in America its far more risky to handle raw chicken than a reptile, when it comes to Salmonella infection.

To put it in perspective- salmonella may also be transferred from cats, dogs, birds, insects (flies especially) and even tropical fish (fish are really bad for salmonella) and raw meats of all kinds being prepared for cooking. Plus dogs and especially cats carry some really serious nasties that we can catch in addition to salmonella.

I have a nephew who had the family dog sink it's canines through his skull when he was a baby and the dog decided it didn't like him all of a sudden and attacked him without provocation.

A cousin was killed by a car that slid off the road onto the sidewalk he was walking on.

So, yes there is potential for danger in all aspects of life. At least lizards aren't going to chase you down the street to get you.

Use good hygene- wash hands thoroughly after touching animals. Look both ways before crossing the street. Don't let dogs and cats lick their butts clean or eat poop out of the yard and then lick your face. Minimize the risks.

I have 4 kids. I had lots of lizards before, during my wife's pregnancies, and when the kids were babies. My kids have always treated our big house iguanas (around 15lb lizards) like other kids treat their cat. No harm has ever come to iguana or child...

The risk would be from Salmonella which would most likely be transmitted by a fecal-oral route. That means if you handle the chameleon (residual bacteria on his feet or skin) or clean the cage you could end up contaminating your hands. Contaminated hands then come in contact with surfaces or objects. We all know how babies (and a few of my friends) crawl with their hands on the floor and stick everything in their mouth. As mentioned previously risk can be substantially reduced by excellent sanitation as well as separation of baby from critter cage.

A good site with basic info (no worries Brad it is govt. website and copyright does not apply): http://http://www.cdc.gov/Features/ReptilesSalmonella/

Be careful taking advice from those that state they have kids and it has never happened to them and therefore there is no risk. That logic is wrong on many levels.

The risk would be from Salmonella which would most likely be transmitted by a fecal-oral route. That means if you handle the chameleon (residual bacteria on his feet or skin) or clean the cage you could end up contaminating your hands. Contaminated hands then come in contact with surfaces or objects. We all know how babies (and a few of my friends) crawl with their hands on the floor and stick everything in their mouth. As mentioned previously risk can be substantially reduced by excellent sanitation as well as separation of baby from critter cage.

A good site with basic info (no worries Brad it is govt. website and copyright does not apply): http://http://www.cdc.gov/Features/ReptilesSalmonella/

Be careful taking advice from those that state they have kids and it has never happened to them and therefore there is no risk. That logic is wrong on many levels.

Parents/chameleon owners know from experience first-hand and that's why we give our opinions. Do you have a child?

I think common sense applies here. At the end of the day, a parent makes decisions that may or may not have consequences. I don't think anyone here said there is no risk - otherwise, no one would have said WASH YOUR HANDS. Just use caution, the same way you would about washing your hands after using chemicals when cleaning and lock the enclosure and/or house the cham in a room with a baby gate at the entrance. If that doesn't bode well with the person who is concerned about having a cham with a baby, then perhaps you shouldn't have one in your house.

Back
Top Bottom