R.i.p

Shaboo10

.. Rest In Peace Gizmo.. The vet didnt even know how he died, he was healthy, he was never stressed.. Dx

im so sorry for your loss....:(

I only had him for 3 month.. he was 7 months old... I burried him in a little gold box... and I got him a day before my niece was born.. so he was special..

and it was a month after his first shed... he died on the 3rd of january..

I only had him for 3 month.. he was 7 months old... I burried him in a little gold box... and I got him a day before my niece was born.. so he was special..

and it was a month after his first shed... he died on the 3rd of january..

can i ask why you took him to the vet? that is very sad....you should try to find out what happened to him encase you were to get another one.....that way you know if it had to do with something you could have prevented...its not hard to fall in love with these little creatures.....again im sorry for your loss

can i ask why you took him to the vet? that is very sad....you should try to find out what happened to him encase you were to get another one.....that way you know if it had to do with something you could have prevented...its not hard to fall in love with these little creatures.....again im sorry for your loss

Well I took him to the vet because he had a little ey infection, on the way he ate some sand.. so the vet flushed the sand out, and game me his meds for his eye, I have to put some cream on his eye in the morning, afternoon, and night for 2 weeks, I did so, and 3 days after the 2 weeks, he died..

(the funny thing is the vets last name is Funk xD)

If you decide to get another Chameleon. I would strongly suggest telling everyone your set for your Chameleon. Temps, supplement schedule/types, cage size, and ect ect in case there actually may be a reason for his premature passing away. Healthy animals usually just don't pass unless there is good reason.

Well I took him to the vet because he had a little ey infection, on the way he ate some sand.. so the vet flushed the sand out, and game me his meds for his eye, I have to put some cream on his eye in the morning, afternoon, and night for 2 weeks, I did so, and 3 days after the 2 weeks, he died..

(the funny thing is the vets last name is Funk xD)

How did he digest sand? Are you using sand for substrate? Remember you don't want to be using any substrate that can accidentally be digested such as sand and reptile bark. It's best to just use reptile carpet, newspaper, or paper towels.

If you decide to get another Chameleon. I would strongly suggest telling everyone your set for your Chameleon. Temps, supplement schedule/types, cage size, and ect ect in case there actually may be a reason for his premature passing away. Healthy animals usually just don't pass unless there is good reason.

I dont think I'll get one for a long time.. I was heart broken by his death so yeah.. and I got a large exoterra terrarium, cage temp was 80, the moister was 80, since he was juv, I gave him like 12 crickets, I lightly powdered them, he had a basking bulb, and a buld for light.. lets se... thats all i remember

How did he digest sand? Are you using sand for substrate? Remember you don't want to be using any substrate that can accidentally be digested such as sand and reptile bark. It's best to just use reptile carpet, newspaper, or paper towels.

Oh, i usually used cocoa husk for his terrain, but they were all out, so i bought some calciumsand till they restocked it, and i put him in his togo carrier, i put some of the sand on the bottom, he was having a hissy fit when iput him in, so he got sand in his mouth, he didnt swollow it, it was just in his mouth, so thats why the vet flushed it out.

Oh, i usually used cocoa husk for his terrain, but they were all out, so i bought some calciumsand till they restocked it, and i put him in his togo carrier, i put some of the sand on the bottom, he was having a hissy fit when iput him in, so he got sand in his mouth, he didnt swollow it, it was just in his mouth, so thats why the vet flushed it out.

If there is a next time around, be sure to just use Reptile Carpet, Paper Towels, or News Paper, it's cheaper, cleaner, and safe. What kind of cage was he living in, glass aquarium, screen cage? Also, what kind of UVB bulb where you using?

Substrate is never a good thing for chameleons.

Sorry for your loss!:(

Sorry for your loss :( I just lost mine yesterday, too. But, as already mentioned, you shouldn't use substrate. Only newspaper if necessary. I hope all goes well :)

I am very sorry for your loss, but here is the most likely explanation as to why he died: As every one has said, Never use substrate (unless you have pygmies). It was most likely the sand specifically. Calcium sand such as "Boneaid" is notorious for causing impaction and calcium build up on joints in young reptiles. It is possible he got some in his eye, thus the eye infection. Studies have even shown that calcium sand can fuse together when met with saliva and make it very difficult to swallow, let alone digest. Like heat rocks, calcium sand is just one of those products most reptile owners just avoid.

I'm not saying thats absolutely how he died, but its a huge possibility. I am very sorry for your loss, they are precious little creatures. And of course its never a person's fault for not knowing. It sounds like you cared for him very much.

Back
Top Bottom