R.I.P Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, was killed just after 11am (Eastern Australian time) by a sting-ray barb through his chest.

See the news sites for more detail. Or turn on the TV.

how terrible

Wow, this is the toughest post i have made thus far. Steve was an amazing man, with a wonderful heart. He absolutely loved animals--especially, reptiles-- and spent as much time as he could towards conservation. I am twenty-one years old and in my short time have been immensley inspired by steve's passion and love for animals. This is a terrible day for me, and i imagine others. I cannot thank steve enough for the knowledge and entertainment he has given us over the years. We miss you, we love you, Steve. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

here is the link: CLICK ME

Last edited:
Holy cow, I'm speechless. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family, his wife and his two kids.

I always respected him, and Thought he was playing with matches and Dynamite. I never would have guessed his death would be from a fairly docile creature. I always pictured him finally getting snaged by a Croc. When it comes down to it, there are very few people that make an impact on the "World" as he did. He has educated and brought a lot of mis-represented animals out into main stream. His efforts will not be forgoten. My respects go to the familly, and friends. I hope the people involved with his dream continue it with his zoo, and maybe even the show.

Frank

R.I.P. to a truly great man. I can honestly say I have never been so choked up by the loss of somebody I didn't even know. All my prayers are with the Irwin family.

Sisco

I am deeply saddened by the death of Steve Irwin. He was definately a legend, an Icon, and a father among many other things. He had accomplished so much in his life and It is ironic that an animal which is typically somewhat passive, and has killed only two people in Australia, could have taken the life of a man who riskes being bitten by some of the worlds deadliest creatures and normally gets away without a scratch. He is a hero because he did it all for the conservation of animals. His teachings will go on with the documentarys that he filmed, and teach many generations to come. I thankful that he died doing what he loved, and I feel that is what he would have wanted and he would be happy with all that he has done for animals throughout his career. I definately admire his passion for animals and hope to one day be able to work in conservation and teach people the way that he did. He has motivated me to do what I love and finish out my degree in biology, and I would be happy if I could make a fraction of the impact on conservation and animal knowledge that he did. He will be missed, but not forgotten.

Tonight on 'The Discovery Channel' there are afew shows about him aswell as a "Tribute" show this sunday.

Also, Ive been telling a few other people to add the "Turtle" icon in their MSN names as a memorial. You can do this by typing (tu) in the place where the name goes.

A few facts:

-Nothing could have been done to save steve unless the people on the boat had an operating table with a rib slicer and tools.
-This was the first stingray related death in Australia in over 60 YEARS.
-There have only ever been 3 deaths from in EVER in Australia.
-A measely total of 16 (Steve being the 17th) stingray deaths have EVER been reported in all time ANYWHERE.

In some ways, it's not ironic that a docile, usually harmless creature killed him. So many people thought it would be a croc of some sort that would eventually "get him." Realistically, this was unlikely, as he was so good at what he did, and so careful, the chances of that happening were low. The stingray, on the other hand - who could have seen that coming?

God bless him. the man deserved all the recognition and praise he is getting.

He was a great and super-charismatic man, almost solely responsible for bringing awareness of herpetology into the mainstream. This is a terrible loss for the world. My condolences go out to his family and friends. His conservation efforts will not be forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom